What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Brown water  (Read 1838 times)

Buzzard bait

Brown water
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:14:38 pm »
Bought a Hotspring Grandee NXT 6 weeks ago.  Everything ok first 6 weeks.  This weekend, cleaned filters and added a little water using a new Clean Screen filter.  Next morning, water was brown.  Chlorine, PH and alk. were all ok.  Tried to shock.  Didn't help.  Water test indicated high metal content, and suggested adding Spa Metal Free.  Dealer recommends draining and starting over.  I don't understand why this has not been an issue until now.  Would the Clean Screen add metals?  First time I've used it.  I ran water through it for about 30 seconds.  Was gray at first, but quickly cleared up.  That, and running the spa filters through the dishwasher were the only variables.  Any advice?

Hot Tub Forum

Brown water
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:14:38 pm »

Kev B

Re: Brown water
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:38:52 pm »
 Metal protect should be added at fill up. If I was there I would check for phosphates and if they were high I would drain.(you can get tester for phosphates) Oxidized copper generally gives green tint and iron gives red. I would like to see a much longer water life but not sure of the amount of usage. Make sure you give it a good shock again...the grandee is a big tub.
 try a Water clarifier and clean the filters 3 days in a row, if that does not do it, start over.
 Grandees have excellent filtration. I have never liked using the dishwasher, I use a good jet nozzle on the hose.
 Keep cousin Bubba out of the tub.  :)

Buzzard bait

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:58:32 pm »
Bubba is heretofore prohibited from tub!  Thanks for the reply.  I added about 6 oz of MPS, but no help.  Will do a chlorine shock tomorrow.  Just concerned as to how these minerals or metals can suddenly appear.  A metal protect was not in my intro package.  Should it be part of my routine maintenance?

Kev B

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:12:52 am »
 Metal protect is added only on start up.
 The water source is the only way metal can appear. Also, remember that after a heavy shock to leave the cover open for a while and heavy chlorine reading can inhibit the ph test if you are using test strips.
 I really think the clarifier is worth trying for this issue. I will tell you however, that I very seldom need to use clarifiers with proper chemistry and filtration.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:12:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42