What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Edison Hot Tub - Babes in the Woods  (Read 3003 times)

SummerLoveNan

Sundance Edison Hot Tub - Babes in the Woods
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:48:50 am »
We are looking at a Edison Sundance.  We were sold on the size and foot massage!  We live in South Carolina. We are in a trust but verify mode now so here are my issues: (1) It is a 220 outlet and we were told to expect about $500 for electrical install and less that $20 a month on the electric bill -- floored when the install was $900 (over $500 in parts alone).  (2) We have a pool with a fence but were told they cannot deliver the hot tub on its side so initial quote for a crane is $300  for a 3 hours minimum to get it over the fence.  Since the electrical was so far off, I wondered about this crane delivery. (3) The cover is guaranteed for 2 years -- a short time -- is there something better out there? (4) The chemicals are easy and inexpensive -- how often does this need to be taken care of and what is inexpensive?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Edison Hot Tub - Babes in the Woods
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:48:50 am »

buba

Re: Sundance Edison Hot Tub - Babes in the Woods
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:05:30 am »
Welcome,

Just replaced an older hot tub with a new Jacuzzi. Electrical parts cost was about $100USD (breakers and outside GFCI box) plus about $5.50USD a foot for wire, conduit, connectors, etc. I did the Electrical install myself.

The dealer was charged $350 USD by the delivery/install service company as our dealer contracted this out to a service company that supports many of the spa dealers in the metro area.  They used a custom trailer and dolly setup (probably to costly for a mom and pop dealer doing their own installs). The tub was transported to our home in the horizontal position on the trailer. They then tilted the spa up on its side onto the dolly (using the tilting mechanism of the trailer) and wheeled it into place along side a lift bag (our deck is 5 ft off the ground). They slide the spa off the dolly onto the lift bag, still on its side. They tilted one edge of the spa onto the deck, Inflated the bag about 3 feet up and then the three hairy legged lumberjacks slide it into place. I did remove the wood deck railing prior to delivery and reinstalled it afterwards.

Our old and new spa set outside with no roof overhead. Over the prior 18 years we went through 3 covers (6 year average). The issue with outside spa's is damage to the cover (tree limb puncture holes?) and cracks from aging that lets water inside. Once waterlogged they become very heavy and ineffective at keeping the heat inside. The best product I have found to keep the cover material in good shape and defer the Sun's effect on aging and cracking is 303 Aerospace Protectant. It is much better than the silicone based  products like ArmourAll etc.

Weekly: I use a Bromine system (floater) and it is a weekly/weekend 10-15 minute exercise to test the water and adjust chemicals as needed.

Monthly: Pull the filters and clean them

3-4 time a year: Drain the water, refill, and re-balance (chem) the water.

Good Luck and Happy Hot Tubbing
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:42:34 am by buba »

Trifecta

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:03:07 am »
Well said, I would just add that the advertised monthly cost on your electric bill is to keep your water heated, circulated and filtered based on factory settings. The cost goes up as your use goes up and the pumps are running.

Welcome and good luck!
Mike

SummerLoveNan

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:32:13 pm »
Thank you ~ very helpful info!

civicfire99

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:07:38 am »
I just paid $330 this past weekend for a local hot tub move from two guys with a spa dolly (specialized trailer specific to hot tubs).  $300 for a crane sounds like a fantastic price.  Don't forget, you have to pay them for their insurance, which is worth $300 alone when moving these expensive toys!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:07:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42