What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New hot tub owner..  (Read 4715 times)

Mistamrc

New hot tub owner..
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:21 am »
Hi guys.. bought this hot tub just over a week ago.. 

http://m.hotspring.co.uk/hot-spot-spas/relay

It's a lovely addition to garden but I do have a few questions so hoping you can help!
I was told to check the chlorine/alkaline levels etc  every now & again which I have been doing and all seemed ok, until, one morning I checked the hot tub and overnight it had gone really murky.. I was told if need to empty it every 4-6 months so don't really want to be doing this after 2 weeks!

And on top of this my wife has come out in a real bad rash but only where her swimming costume was on her body, the rash isn't on her legs, arms or face!

Any advice would be grateful.

Marc

Hot Tub Forum

New hot tub owner..
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:21 am »

clover

Re: New hot tub owner..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 11:22:49 am »
Hi guys.. bought this hot tub just over a week ago.... so hoping you can help!.....I was told to check the chlorine/alkaline levels....every now & again which I have been doing and all seemed ok, until, one morning.....and overnight it had gone really murky....And on top of this my wife has come out in a real bad rash but only where her swimming costume was on her body, the rash isn't on her legs, arms or face!
Marc

This is all determined by WHAT you put into the water.  The first question would be.....what happened in the previous 12 hours before.  Body load, chemical adjustments, etc.  This will give some insight to recommendations.

As for the rash, lack of sanitizer allows bacteria to be present.  The swim suit held the water, and the bacteria in it, after exiting the hot tub giving it more time to take effect.  What type of sanitizer are you using?
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Mistamrc

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 02:28:35 pm »
I was given a bottle of chlorine, a bottle of alkaline increaser and another reducer along with a bottle of powder to amend the PH levels.. I'm on my phone and not sure how to post a photo of the bottles but can try later on.

I have dips to to test the levels and all has seemed ok! Today, I did empty the hot tub and have refilled just so the water is fresh so I'll try again I suppose.. I knew they'd need maintenance/looking after but didn't think they'd be hard work!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »
You were told wrong! A newbie can't look at their tub's water every now and again and see if things are kind of OK. You need to be on top of water care and once you get experience and know how your water reacts to certain conditions then you can give it a now and again because you've learned it.

What are your readings? How much chlorine do you use? How often do you put chlorine into the water? Do you put chlorine in before or after use? As clover asked - what was happening before the water turned?

Chartreux

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:18 pm »
I agree with Vinny, you got to check your water, get a Taylor testing kit. Have your wife see a doctor about the rash and to say out of the spa until it's gone.

You can google "hot tub rash" and without proper water care it could've been worse...

I don't have a spa yet, but have looked up all the info in keeping a well maintained spa and it's going to need work by you. A spa can work wonders but, it does need care and work.

The pro's on here will come by with more info for you...pay attention to them...

Mistamrc

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 08:12:40 pm »
As previously mentioned I do have bottles of chlorine, alkaline reducer etc.. I was told by the seller that for every hour of use I should put in half a lid of chlorine.. to clean the filter once a week and check the waters PH and alkaline levels weekly..

The previous 12hrs before the water turning murky, my wife and I used it as normal.. 

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 08:50:23 pm »
Sorry, but you were not given good instructions. I put 2 teaspoons in for just me using the tub, 3 teaspoons when 2 people and 4 or more for more than 2 people ... how many teaspoons in a half a cap? What chlorine reading is in a half a cap? When was the last time you shocked with chlorine? And by shock I mean over 6 or 7 PPM chlorine. You are heading down the wrong path of water care and it will get worse and you will get more frustrated.

Mistamrc

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:51:36 am »
There're probably 2 tea spoons in half a cap.. I was told to put 2 tea spoons  of chlorine in the tub for every half hour of use, does that sound right to you?

I'm not really sure what Reading is in half a cap  but the Reading coke out as "ok" when I dip in the tester.. I can find out though!

I'm quite angry that someone would sell me a hot tub for £6700 and not teach me how to care for it properly.. I do appreciate your feedback and hope practice makes perfect!

Marc

clover

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »
EVERY HOT TUB is used differently, and there IS NO RULE OF THUMB that you can apply.  Your water has the ability to remain sparkling clean, crystal clear, with an invitation to drink.  That makes your first evaluation of water to be "sight" and what you see.  Your second evaluation is "smell", you should NOT SMELL chemicals or odors coming from your water.  This will be like riding a bike, a challenge at first, and then you will be coasting along.

Any time you notice your water by sight or smell, the very next thing is to test your water, and make the necessary adjustments.

WE all deal with cloudy conditions from time to time, but it is about what you put into the water, in this case 2 bodies, which is like 20 in a pool because of the temperature of the water.  We have had customers who use the spa after physical assertion, running, work outs, cutting the lawn, etc.  The hot tub increases blood flow and circulation, and you ill perspire while all of the skin pores open, get the picture?  Everybody gets out squeaky clean. ;)

Watch for water condition changes and relate them to what just recently happened to cause it.  After a "body load" in the tub, SHOCK would be appropriate to attack body waste that is being left behind.  Imagine young children, they are not best known for doing their "paper work", but they too get out squeaky clean, making the water conditions a sanitary challenge that needs your attention.  Once you get the hang of it, it is like riding a bike, and you will find it much easier than expected.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42