What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chemical question  (Read 1960 times)

macadoo

chemical question
« on: August 24, 2014, 10:58:08 am »
  As a relatively new spa owner  (6 months) I have a chemical concern. Bought a 2013 Caldera Martinique. We purchased it from a multi store local chain. We love the spa ! The unit came with a starter kit of chemicals (SpaGuard) brand. After lurking on this forum for several months I came to the conclusion I was using way to much chemical to get the desired results.I received the match the color test strips with spa and have since purchased the Taylor kit.  After doing some research I found the "free" chemicals were packaged in 2012,replacements I have purchased from the dealer show a 2013 date.  So my question is.... do chemicals get "old" lose there effectiveness over time ? All chemicals were in factory sealed containers. So as an experiment I ordered the Spa Choice brand from Spa Depot. Wow what a difference ! I'am using much less chemicals  than I was prior.  The water looks and tests better . What brand of chemicals do others use ?? Any correlation to  age of chemicals ?? I would like to support my local dealer but......

Hot Tub Forum

chemical question
« on: August 24, 2014, 10:58:08 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: chemical question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:35:20 pm »
There are things that can make certain chemicals lose their strength. Bleach will be affected by heat and sunlight as an example but granular chlorine should be pretty stabile. There are different strengths of chlorine and one may be more concentrated than the other. Some manufacturers also did things to their chemicals that could cause them to "work better" there was a product back when I got the tub that combined chlorine with non chlorine shock, it still maybe sold today.

As far as brands for chlorine I buy the stuff sold at RHTubs.com in the 5 lb tub (and I've had them for a few years now), I use Sea Klear non chlorine shock and store brand baking soda. I do keep a bottle of HTH PH down around in case I need it. I also keep Sea Klear clarifier around as well. For borax I will use the 20 mule team stuff but tend not to need to use it in my tub.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: chemical question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:35:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42