What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Second hand vs New  (Read 3137 times)

djohnson

Second hand vs New
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:11 am »
Hi all,

I have wanted a hot tub for many years and have decided to finally treat myself and my family to one this year.
After speaking to a number of friends who have bought second hand and also new I am no clearer as to which way I should go.
I only have a limited budget (circa £3000) so I have the option of buying a second hand one from the usual online places, or to get a brand new one.
All that I have read has warned me about buying from cheap online sites, however the reasons do not add up. For example the reasons they say to avoid online is that they are cheap parts, untreated softwood frames, no insulation, made in China and you cannot wet test. The brand new tubs include sellers such as Superior Spa's, Greener Grass UK and Blue Whale Spa's, who use Balboa, are made in USA, have insulation, have treated wood frames and have showrooms where you can wet test (albeit quite a distance for me to travel). There are others who do not have show rooms but seem to offer everything else including good warranties such as Spa Home,  etc.

I feel like I am missing something, why would anyone pay £5000+ when they could get one of these? What is wrong with them??
So I have two questions if I may:
1.What is the difference between the hot tubs that are going for £5000+ and the brand new ones advertised at half that price (made in USA, with Balboa, treated timber, acrylic shell, warranty etc)?
2. Would you recommend getting a second hand hot tub for around the same price (£3000) in order to get a "better" but older hot tub, or would a new one from one of the places listed above be better as they come with warranties etc?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Danny

Hot Tub Forum

Second hand vs New
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:11 am »

Kev B

Re: Second hand vs New
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:04:55 am »

Many great buys with used hot tubs. In my part of the world, I do inspections on them for customers before they buy. Repairs and maintenance on all brands is what I have been doing since 1983 so my perspective is different than one that sells new tubs.
 Never buy a used tub that is not full of water and running, especially if it is full foam and you are in a part of the country where it freezes. Also, look for signs of chemical neglect on the bottom side of the cover, the pillows and make sure their is no calcium leeching out of the pumps and the equipment area is not rotting out. And of course look for any cracks or hairline splits in the shell.
  Brand name controls and jets such as Balboa and Waterway are highly recommended and easy to get parts for. Beware of Chinese products.
 You are already aware that you are on your own with a used tub with no warranty.
 As far as the On-Line hot tub deals....I have had bad run-in's with a few of them, be careful. Very cheap skirting and hard covers and controls and pumps that were basically junk.

djohnson

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:11 am »
Many thanks Kev, that's really helpful. Good to know what to look for as I haven't a clue!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:29 pm »
"1.What is the difference between the hot tubs that are going for £5000+ and the brand new ones advertised at half that price (made in USA, with Balboa, treated timber, acrylic shell, warranty etc)?"

The ones advertised at half that price, only have, low end balboa controllers that are made in the USA.....imported into China and put into their spas so that can "use" the made in USA line, AND attempt to bypass the UL regulations in the US.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:32:42 pm »
Hi all,

I have wanted a hot tub for many years and have decided to finally treat myself and my family to one this year.
After speaking to a number of friends who have bought second hand and also new I am no clearer as to which way I should go.
I only have a limited budget (circa £3000) so I have the option of buying a second hand one from the usual online places, or to get a brand new one.
All that I have read has warned me about buying from cheap online sites, however the reasons do not add up. For example the reasons they say to avoid online is that they are cheap parts, untreated softwood frames, no insulation, made in China and you cannot wet test. The brand new tubs include sellers such as Superior Spa's, Greener Grass UK and Blue Whale Spa's, who use Balboa, are made in USA, have insulation, have treated wood frames and have showrooms where you can wet test (albeit quite a distance for me to travel). There are others who do not have show rooms but seem to offer everything else including good warranties such as Spa Home,  etc.

I feel like I am missing something, why would anyone pay £5000+ when they could get one of these? What is wrong with them??
So I have two questions if I may:
1.What is the difference between the hot tubs that are going for £5000+ and the brand new ones advertised at half that price (made in USA, with Balboa, treated timber, acrylic shell, warranty etc)?
2. Would you recommend getting a second hand hot tub for around the same price (£3000) in order to get a "better" but older hot tub, or would a new one from one of the places listed above be better as they come with warranties etc?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Danny

If a 6 hundred dollar pump lasts for 10 years and a 3 hundred dollar pump lasts for 5......................But they can both say Waterway/Balboa. Paying half as much have you gained anything except a sooner headache?
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:58:58 am »
Take the $300 pump, invest the other $300 aggressively making 10%. After five years the $300 investment will have grown to ~$450. Pay the $50 of capitol gains tax on the profits, buy another $300 pump, and you made $100. Oh wait, how much does it cost to R&R the pump?................................never mind.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »
Take the $300 pump, invest the other $300 aggressively making 10%. After five years the $300 investment will have grown to ~$450. Pay the $50 of capitol gains tax on the profits, buy another $300 pump, and you made $100. Oh wait, how much does it cost to R&R the pump?................................never mind.

That would be the headache I was talking about. I value myself at 60 bucks per hour when I am working for myself.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42