What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Recessing Jacuzzi J-470 -- access panels?  (Read 10032 times)

kitchener

Recessing Jacuzzi J-470 -- access panels?
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:03 am »
I have a question about service access if I only recess a small portion of the J-470.   

I am recessing only the front left corner of my new Jacuzzi J-470.  Only 18.5" of the front left corner will be recessed (the door to the Bluetooth cabinet is 18.5" from the bottom -- 20" of the front left corner of the tub would remain above the deck line).  The recessed portion would be 30" x 30" -- from that front left corner of the tub, 30" of the left side, and 30" of the front, stopping where the center access panel starts.  The center access panel would remain fully accessible.

I notice in the Owner's Manual I found online that one of the two pumps is  behind that left-side panel, as well as the circulation pump -- but it's not designated as the "Service Access Panel," which makes me wonder if that area is accessible from the designated center access panel?

Alternatively (an idea I found here in a past conversation), since 20" of the recessed left corner will still be above the decking, I was thinking maybe I'd permanently unscrew the bottom screws of whatever paneling is being recessed, so that one could, in the event of a service issue, unscrew the top screws and lift those panels up and out (if that's possible).

l                                                                      l
                              l                              J-470                               l
_____________     l                                                                     l
                         l    l                                                                      l
                         l    l                                                                      l
                   30" l    l                      ctr access panel                      l
                         l    l_________I_________________I________l
                         l____________
                               30"           l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
              DECK                       l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
                                               l
_______________________l

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:53:50 am by kitchener »

Hot Tub Forum

Recessing Jacuzzi J-470 -- access panels?
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:03 am »

clover

Re: Recessing Jacuzzi J-470 -- access panels?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:49 am »
I would suggest that you have your dealer remove the front panels to wee what you can and cannot get to.  If you can find a solution to what you see, paint your picture, if not, consider alternative options, or be prepared to drain and move the spa for access when needed.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:03:34 pm »
My tub is recessed  about 20 inches on all sides and I removed all the screws below that line. As far as access to the pumps I agree with clover in having your dealer give you advice. I have worked on one of my pumps in replacing the seal and for me it wasn't too bad. My pumps are not tucked into the corners though. I do have one pump as I mentioned is going to be a challenge but I have a plan if I need to work on it.

kitchener

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »
Vinny,

Thanks for the feedback.  Can you hear any vibration from the bottoms of the unscrewed panels?

mrpenguin

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:01 pm »
Here's some photos from my 470.   It would be tight!
I have to do LED work on mine.  Not sure if the one cupholder access would also be blocked.
Also, hope for no pinched hoses from the factory!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »
Vinny,

Thanks for the feedback.  Can you hear any vibration from the bottoms of the unscrewed panels?

No, the only noise I hear is the humming of the circ pump. My tub is on its own deck which was built to park a tank on it so I would imagine if your tub is going to be on something very solid you should have no problems. The ONLY concern is if it opens up where mice can get in as they can squeeze into extremely small cracks.

kitchener

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 04:02:53 pm »
Here's some photos from my 470.   It would be tight!
I have to do LED work on mine.  Not sure if the one cupholder access would also be blocked.
Also, hope for no pinched hoses from the factory!

Wow -- thanks, Penguin.  The drawings in the manual doesn't do justice to how tight it is in there.  I had envisioned Vinny's approach, but even with 20" of clearance above the decking once the panel is pulled up and out, it'd be tight to get down in there to that final 18.5" to service that pump!

That deck it's going into is already there -- we're re-decking it with composite.  I inherited the deck from the previous owner, and have no idea what the joists look like underneath.  But methinks based on these pictures I'm going to have to buck up and give my contractor the added hassle of figuring out how to build an access trap door once we get a look inside the deck and can visualize how to do it.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:12:06 pm by kitchener »

kitchener

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:41:19 pm »

No, the only noise I hear is the humming of the circ pump. My tub is on its own deck which was built to park a tank on it so I would imagine if your tub is going to be on something very solid you should have no problems. The ONLY concern is if it opens up where mice can get in as they can squeeze into extremely small cracks.
[/quote]

Vinny, did you design any sort of trap door arrangement?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:06:25 am »
No because I didn't think I needed it. With only 20" to worry about it seemed like it wasn't too much of a hassel. I have replaced a seal on one of my pumps which required me to remove the pump, replace the seal and reinstall the pump. I repair stuff for a living but not spas and other than being able to get the pump from the motor I really didn't have a problem. I think clover said to move the tub if you need service to that pump - makes sense to me; a couple of good shoves and you should have access to that side. Then a couple a good shoves the other way and you should be back in business.

The truth is that hopefully it will be rare that service will be needed there. So come up with a plan to deal with the problem if a problem arises. I have a friend who has sunk his tub into his deck all the way to the top ... Its got to be a pain in the a$$ if and when something goes wrong. My stupidity has me with a pump that is hard to get out, had I known about the location of the third pump rotating the tub 90 degrees would have prevented the problem. So I came up with a plan, I will either have to lay down and work on my belly or take the railing down and work from a step stool.

I think its great that you are thinking about it but don't over think it. If moving the tub is easier then building a breakaway section of the deck then do that. Moving the tub 12 to 18 inches away from the deck may give you enough clearance to work  on that area if need be. Remember you are talking about 1 pump in a corner that may not give you problems for the life of the spa.

kitchener

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:22:40 am »
If moving the tub is easier then building a breakaway section of the deck then do that. Moving the tub 12 to 18 inches away from the deck may give you enough clearance to work  on that area if need be. Remember you are talking about 1 pump in a corner that may not give you problems for the life of the spa.

Good advice.  Especially the last part in regards to the small section I'm recessing.  I'll take the screws out of the panels that are going below the decking, maybe put neoprene washers between the panels and the chassis (though I wonder about mice -- not that we have a mouse problem, especially with two terriers on patrol).       ...something tells me, though, shoving a 950 pound tub 12 to 18 inches might be a problem. 

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 05:03:37 pm »
If I remember correctly it wasn't too difficult to move the tub but it hadn't been sitting for a long time. You can possibly use a pipe staked into the ground and use a winch type device to move it if need be ... maybe look into harbor freight as you aren't going to use it daily. Remember they built pyramids using muscle power so 950 lbs is do-able. As far as the screws, I would think that the amount of space - 30 inches would be not a problem to get the screws if need be. For me with my tub sitting below my deck there would be no way to get to them - just make sure that any screw that might be interfered with by the deck is removed, I only had to remove my bottom screws as my center panel screws cleared the decking.

I don't thing adding sound deadening material is necessary as the panels will be held on by a lot more screws if you do decide to take the couple of screws out so the panels shouldn't vibrate.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 05:03:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42