What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stabilizer too high?  (Read 7226 times)

Vicki1818

Stabilizer too high?
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:34:06 pm »
Hi,
My parents have had a hot tub for about a month now, and my dad was under the impression that you were supposed to just use chlorine to kill anything off and then that's it. I ended up using a test strip to see what they needed and found out that they had very high chlorine, low pH, low alkalinity, and then the part for stabilizer on the strip said it was perfect. We added chemicals that said 'alkaline up' and 'pH up'. I came back after a couple hours and tested again. The chlorine was still high (which I expected), the pH and alkalinity were perfect, but now it says my stabilizer is too high? I'm just curious what causes the stabilizer level to rise in this situation, and how to fix it? A lot of the things I find while looking this up tell me that I just have to drain the water and start over, but I'd like to know why correcting one issue ended up creating another one before I end up doing this again?

Hot Tub Forum

Stabilizer too high?
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:34:06 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Stabilizer too high?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:51:06 am »
It sounds more like the test strips aren't correct. If you add chemicals without the affected chemicals and it changes a different parameter then I would question the other readings as well. The only chemical that will change readings will be chlorine and possibly bromine at high concentrations- they will bleach out the readings giving false readings.

Most people will tell you to have a Taylor test kit to test the water. It is more accurate.

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:09:36 am »
+1 on the Taylor test kit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:09:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42