What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High Electricity Bill  (Read 2558 times)

tottydude

High Electricity Bill
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:10 am »
Hi, please can I have some advice. I've bought a Rio hot tub 3 yrs old to start out as I always wanted a hot tub. Myself and family really love it, but our electricity bill this month was double it's normal rate of £120 to £250. I know nothing about hot tubs so joined this forum with the hope experienced members can guide me as I don't want to lose the tub! I have it sat on decking with a lid that is holding in the heat as far as I can tell.

Thank, Nicky - Wales, UK

Hot Tub Forum

High Electricity Bill
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:10 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: High Electricity Bill
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:17:19 am »
There are a lot of differences in hot tub brands. The less expensive ones usually have less insulation to hold in the heat and less efficient pumps and plumbing so they cost more to operate and this can quickly offset the savings in the beginning of buying a less expensive brand. Durasport is a less expensive brand and you are likely using it a lot more while it's new to you.
Retired

tottydude

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:34:10 am »
Thank you for your reply and I understand what you are saying. I plan to buy a brand new hot tub in a few years due to budget of buying a new car this year. Can I insulate an older hot tub? if so what do I need to do? Thanks!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »
What does your cover look like? Has it seen better days or is it OK. That's the first place to start.

I don't know your tub but maybe you can try some type of reflective/bubble type insulation either inside the tub shell or wrapped around the outside; something like this: http://www.ecofoil.com/All-Products/Bubble-Foil-Insulation

Winter time will suck out a lot of heat if the tub isn't insulated well but in summer the outside temps aren't very far off the water temp so heat transfer is less. And as was said - new = more use.

tottydude

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:51:20 am »
Thanks for advice - I have seen those blankets on Ebay so will invest in one, plus I researched last night and read about spraying insulation foam underneath, which I will do! Buying a hot tub is like buying a new car and handbag - sound daft but I owned an old Merc CLK and loved it so much I now own a brand new C class Merc - same with handbag bought a fake Louis Vuitton on ebay only lasted a few months so went to Harrods and bought a real one. I'm just trying it out for now and using it every day. I know when I'm ready I will invest in a £5k tub - I just wanted to be sure we would use one and enjoy one rather than being suck paying for an expensive hot tub if it was never used, but as we have had the Rio now for 1mth I'm sure my family will love the top of the range next year. Thank you!

aeajr

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 02:31:28 pm »
We really need more information.   

Is this inside or outside?   

What is the outside temperature, typically?

What sort of cover do you have on the tub?

Is it typically breezy?

Are you going to be using this all year round?

If it is outside, cold, exposed to wind and has no cover it will use a LOT more power than if it is enclosed, warm, protected from wind and has a good insulating cover.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 02:31:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42