What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First hot tub, used leisurerite with a jets/heat problem  (Read 6097 times)

liamsmedley

First hot tub, used leisurerite with a jets/heat problem
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:38:57 pm »
Hi all,

I have recently purchased my first tub, a leisurerite spa 2004 model with a balboa system running it and its great fun.

However I am having a problem with it and it doesn't seem as though any local guys are able to help/advise me without a £200 callout charge to come take a look so I am looking for some help/advice if possible.

When I got it wired up and levelled off I began to fill by putting the hose in the bottom of the tub as instructed by the DVD supplied with it. I then did exactly as instructed and waited for it to fill to the provided line and took the hose out.  After this I turned the tub power on and after around 30 seconds the jets and heater light came on and continued through the night and warmed to the set 37 degrees.

Everything seemed fine with the tub apart from the fact that for some reason the jets seem to come on every 5 minutes for around 30 seconds a time. After thinking this is incorrect I stood at the control panel and waited for it to start again to see if there were any errors. There are no errors but the temp drops momentarily to 36 after the jets start and then goes back to 37 before they shut off again.

It would seem to me that either the water is losing 1 degree temp every 5 mins which seems unlikely or i have an issue where the tub thinks this is happening and once it get water flowing it realises the temp is correct and shuts off again.

There is the problem that the cover I have for it is a little oversized so it was suggested maybe this is doing me no favours but I have since strapped it down tight and been assured that this was not happening before we moved it from the previous owners house.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Liam

Hot Tub Forum

First hot tub, used leisurerite with a jets/heat problem
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:38:57 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: First hot tub, used leisurerite with a jets/heat problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55:59 am »
Find the temperature sensor, and be sure it was not knocked loose during the move. The next step would be to insulate it. If it is in contact with the heater housing, wrap that with some pipe insulation and cap with vinyl tape.

If it is in a dry (or wet) well in the tub itself, buy a can of spray foam and coat the area around the sensor.

I say all this because it sounds to me as if the sensor is cooling off once the pump stops. That can happen if the sensor is not protected from the outside air- and things such as a poorly-fitting equipment compartment door or some missing siding can add to the problem.

This is an easy fix, and if it doesn't help I would look at the control system next.

8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:59:14 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

liamsmedley

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:28:23 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I have located the 2 sensors and will give this a go.

I will let you know how I get on
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:17:20 pm by liamsmedley »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:30:00 pm »
Photos would be of great help.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

liamsmedley

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »
Just thought I'd give a quick update.

I have ordered some insulation etc to go around the heater and some expanding foam to cover where the second sensor is located as it pokes through the fibreglass and in to the tub itself.

In the meantime and after some more research I have tried to eliminate a few more theories I have found on forums etc.

Tonight I filled the tub to well over the fill line to eliminate a possibility that it is too low and last night I removed the filter and it had been out for 24 hours meaning that again this would eliminate the filter causing the problem and neither have seemed to help so hopefully the idea from Chas will do the trick.

I will take some before and after pics as soon as the stuff arrives and I get to work on trying to solve this issue.

a11mcr

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:40 am »
Hi did you get the problem sorted and if so what was it, I have the same trouble with the one I have just bought?
thanks
mark

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42