What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pea Gravel & Under Tub  (Read 4613 times)

ramone

Pea Gravel & Under Tub
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:03:00 pm »
Well we are a few weeks away from getting our first new tub. The pea gravel awaits, I got it evan the best I could, it should just rest on it fine right ?
Have any of you put  something under your tub befor it is put down. I have read some do and some don't, I would if it really makes a difference, what is the best thing to put down ?
Thanks so much for all your help.

Hot Tub Forum

Pea Gravel & Under Tub
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:03:00 pm »

Topline Mike

Re: Pea Gravel & Under Tub
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:31 am »
I know this was discussed before, but it you plan on sliding the tub into place on pea gravel, you will have a mess.  The only way I see this working is if the tub is "on end" and it is layed down on the pea gravel.  You could get a two 4X8 sheets of treated plywood and lay them on the pea gravel.  The tub will slide on the plywood easy enough, but they should be anchored in some fashion. 

You might want to hire someone to do this for you, because of your comment, "I got it evan the best I could".  Getting pea gravel level with a 4' level is not rocket science.  Just saying. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:57:24 am »
Pea gravel is about the worse thing one can attempt to set a spa on. If it's moved or disturbed while moving the spa into place it will move around quite easily, thereby no longer being a flat level surface to place the spa on, and expect it to be evenly and properly supported.

Now if one were to add a little sand and cement.................. ;-)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ramone

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:14 pm »
I was sure I read on on here pea gravel was fine, anyway I should say I put 6 inches of 25 ml crushed rock, then 4 inches of pea gravel, I would venture to say it is solid. That will really suck if when the tub gets here and it will not work, yikes
Thanks very much

Shan

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 04:07:07 pm »
My spa is 7x7 so I made mine 9x9 about 8" deep, 3/4 crushed tampered down 6" and then limestone screening on top of that. Levelled with a 2x4 with 1" slope, slid it onto place on 2 2x4s, and then got to a nice spot. Pulled out the 2x4s, and it hasn't moved since, once filled it ain't going anywhere.

A power tamper really helped, and I did it by myself. Worst part was digging the hole, nothing but hard clay.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 06:35:44 pm »
"Pea gravel" doesn't tamp, pack or compress.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ramone

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:06:10 pm »
Thanks for all your input, it has been very helpful, our hot tub has arrived and it is sitting on the pea gravel just fine. The guys that delivered it said our 25 ml crushed rock with the pea gravel on top was more solid that most places they go deliver to, the one guy said you could put 3 hot tubs on it and they would never move, that was great to here from the pros who deliver these every day.
So again thanks allot, special thanks to Dr Spa  Ret you were most helpful.
Going out to sit in the tub
Ramone

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:06:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42