What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions on buying a used tub  (Read 4557 times)

gdurham

Questions on buying a used tub
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:51:26 pm »
Hello all,
I am currently researching buying a new tub to replace my current soft tub style spa. I am currently looking at a 2005 Tiger River Bengal M spa. The person is asking $1800, I know for a fact that the circulating pump needs to be replaced as it makes noise.

My questions are in regards to the build quality of these spas, i.e. what is the shell made out of, is the circuitry/heating components long lasting, and serviceability. Also, is the price fair? I know that it is currently 110v, and I would like to change it to the 220v version, is this easy to do?

Thank you for your time!
gdurham

Hot Tub Forum

Questions on buying a used tub
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:51:26 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Questions on buying a used tub
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:36:49 pm »
Tiger river was a really good spa, in the day! Pretty sure they have gone the way of affordable health care,  basically extinct..     1800 for it and being it's ten years old and needs parts is high IMO.   As far as the 110/220 conversion should be easy..  Should be able to get parts for it if needed.. I would offer a 1000 and see where it goes.  What kind of shape is it in, how's the cover and sounds like it was running?    What did you gut feeling tell you?

Isaac-1

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:43:14 am »
The Tiger River tubs at the time were made by Watkins, the same people that own Hot Spring, and they used the same controller, just with a different shape control panel and I think most of the same other mechanical parts.  A replacement circulation pump will set you back about $175 assuming it uses the same E-5 replacement pump as my 1998 Hot Spring Jetsetter.  As to price, it could be better, like buying a 10 year old used car, a lot depends on what sort of shape it is in, did it spend a decade unprotected out in the weather, or was it under a roof or in a sun room, etc.  I would probably try to talk them down a bit on price, if it were me, but there is also the question of is it convienent, will they help load it on a trailer or deliver, etc.

Ike

dunecritter

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:21:16 am »
Tiger river was a middle line product mfg'd by Watkins Hot Spring. It was replaced with the current limelight series and is was a good tub. Not sure If I want to comment on a price tho...Good luck!

gdurham

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:13:58 am »
Thank you so much for replying to my post! The tub is definitely in excellent condition, in terms of physical appearance. The cover looks to be in good shape, not discolored, the cabinet looks new, and the interior of the tub looks good, the headrests have popped off, which would need to be replaced. The circulation pump is the only source of noise, makes a puttering sound, the jet pump sounds good, I didn't see any sign of water getting into the control area as there was no rust to speak of. It has been under the cover of a tree since the owner purchased it, and he is the first and only owner. I was able to get him down to 1600, but not sure how much more I can get him down.

I guess my only real question is, is it a killer deal, or is it kind of a meh deal. And should I just wait it out, and just keep my eye out?

Thank you!

Isaac-1

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 07:39:25 pm »
It is hard to say how good of deal it is, without considering things like your location, is this a come and get it out of someones yard and you need 6 guys to move it deal, or it somewhere easy to load onto a trailer, is it just down the street from you, or a couple of hundred miles away....  I will say that if this tub meets your needs and you are in a fairly low population density area, you may be waiting a while to find a much better deal. I would say it is fairly uncommon in my region (SW Louisiana / SE Texas) to find similar age / quality / size tubs for sale at prices that are much lower than this, you may find them for $1,200-$1,500 if you are lucky, but is it worth it to you to keep shopping to save $100-$200 or so?  What I think is a little more likely is to find a newer tub for a slightly higher price, say one that is half as old with more bells and whistles selling for $2,000 -$2,500.   

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:46 pm »
 + one on what Isaac-1 said

It's always going to be what it's worth to you.   I think 18 is high but I have never seen it.     Offer what you feel is a good price for you and see where it goes..  I would do no more than 1500 if it's in the shape you say it is.. 

gdurham

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 08:58:03 pm »
Thanks for the additional info. I was able to get him down to $1500, now to decide on whether or not to go for it. There are a lot of tubs on the 'net in my area. The owner said he would help with getting it out, and there is a easy path to get it to a trailer. The distance is only a 45min drive or so. So that isn't too big of an issue. I am going out to look at a 2003 jacuzzi brand tub this evening, which is considerably less expensive ($500), just know less about this brand.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 11:48:32 am »
Thank you so much for replying to my post! The tub is definitely in excellent condition, in terms of physical appearance. The cover looks to be in good shape, not discolored, the cabinet looks new, and the interior of the tub looks good, the headrests have popped off, which would need to be replaced. The circulation pump is the only source of noise, makes a puttering sound, the jet pump sounds good, I didn't see any sign of water getting into the control area as there was no rust to speak of. It has been under the cover of a tree since the owner purchased it, and he is the first and only owner. I was able to get him down to 1600, but not sure how much more I can get him down.

I guess my only real question is, is it a killer deal, or is it kind of a meh deal. And should I just wait it out, and just keep my eye out?

Thank you!

When you talk used spas the main thing is how is it operating, not what year it is (for the most part). It sounds as if you saw it functioning so that and the fact it was dry around it and the cover was good and you can move it pretty easily are all good things and far more important that what year it is. Whether its a killer deal, a meh deal or a bad deal will only be defined by how many years you get out of it so ask yourself if you see getting a couple years out of it then I'd say go for it if the answer is yes.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

gdurham

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 06:31:44 pm »
Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. I do see us getting (hopefully) several more years out of it. It appears that parts are relatively easy to source, and I am not afraid to ask questions, in order to fix issues as they come. Thank you everyone for your input.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:33:17 pm »
I would say that's a good choice for a used tub. But I also think you could get it for less. 15 is just mhhh maybe a little better than mhhh
Retired

gdurham

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 03:42:23 pm »
Well, I decided to purchase it. Paid $1500. Picked it up 2 weeks ago. Finally got the circuit finished last night, and replaced the circ pump. Filled it and turned it on. Everything looks good, nice and quiet and got up to temp pretty quickly. Everything seems to be running well. Gonna use it for the first time tonight! Thanks for all of the help and comments everyone!

Isaac-1

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:09:35 pm »
I am glad it is working out for you

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:09:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42