What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: EPSOM SALT:  Can you safely add this to a spa  (Read 40570 times)

solo

EPSOM SALT:  Can you safely add this to a spa
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:44:11 am »
My guess is that it is probably not reccomended.  But I figured I would run it by the experts to find out.  I find epsom salt soaks particulalry relaxing.  But not certain how it would imapct water chemistry or the pumps.  

Hot Tub Forum

EPSOM SALT:  Can you safely add this to a spa
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:44:11 am »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: EPSOM SALT:  Can you safely add this to a
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:18:48 pm »
I think it would be bad for your spa.  For on thing, it would take your TDS (total dissolved solid) right up (and past) any reasonable limits.  The chemicals could also damage the seals on the pumps.  In other words, I wouldn't try it.  I've never heard anyone on any spa forum inquire about it though.  Come to think of it, I am 44 and haven't heard of that in nearly 30 years but I do remember that it was favored for soaking you feet back in the 70's
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

96SC

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 11:58:01 pm »
I am 44 and haven't heard of that in nearly 30 years but I do remember that it was favored for soaking you feet back in the 70's

Shows you how far behind we are in the deep south.  One of my wife's massues's (sp?) suggested she take an Epsom salt bath.  Folks around here still soak their feet in it, too.   :-?

Next week they're having a talking movie down at the Bijou. ;D
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

anne

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44:25 pm »
I would not even consider trying it. For one thing, it is magnesium sulfate, which I think is very basic, and would reak horrible havoc with your other chemistries, and effectiveness of sanitizer, and as said, your TDS would be HIGH. But even if that were not true, I have a box of the stuff under my sink, and it says to add 2 cups to a gallon of water. Multiply that out, and that is a sh!! load of epsom salt in a tub!!! And third, I cannot imagine why you'd want your whole body in it. It helps (a little) to reduce cellulitis and edema, but I hope you dont need that all over! ;) Do people really put in in bath tubs?
Dance like nobody's watching

Doobiewah

Re: EPSOM SALT:  Can you safely add this to a spa
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:59:47 pm »
Solo,

Interesting that you asked this question because the other day, one of the spa salespeople we spoke to said that Hot Springs was working on a 'seawater' spa due to the healing qualities of saltwater.  She said it would involve a totally different makeup in the spa itself due to the corrosive properties of saltwater; however, they were researching the technology.  It does sound like an interesting concept; however, the chemistry would seem difficult at best.

Not sure if there is any truth to what she said to us (Maybe someone like Term could acknowledge or deny what was said...) but I figured I'd throw it out into the equation.

The Doob

solo

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:03:49 pm »
I would not even consider trying it. For one thing, it is magnesium sulfate, which I think is very basic, and would reak horrible havoc with your other chemistries, and effectiveness of sanitizer, and as said, your TDS would be HIGH. But even if that were not true, I have a box of the stuff under my sink, and it says to add 2 cups to a gallon of water. Multiply that out, and that is a sh!! load of epsom salt in a tub!!! And third, I cannot imagine why you'd want your whole body in it. It helps (a little) to reduce cellulitis and edema, but I hope you dont need that all over! ;) Do people really put in in bath tubs?

Epsom Salt is magnesium Sulfate.  Magnesium is a powerful relaxant.  Magneisum can work as good as muscle relaxers if taken in larghe enough quantities.  So yes, people really do bath in it.  Partouallry people with chromnic pains.  If you are really tense one day, you should try it.  But just pour about 1-2 cups into a hot bathtub and soak.  It really has an amazing calming effect.  

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:05:21 pm »
on another board this very thing came up, perhaps this is where you saw it Solo ? in any case the person claims to have had zero problems and they love the added therapy they believe they are getting, I think they also mention adding a large amount of baking soda at the same time but again they love it and say no issues.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 06:58:10 pm »
i saw this on a previous post so i googled it out of curiosity.  the concensus among those in the know is that it would be very corrosive to the spa and void the warranty.  stick to the bathtub.

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 07:28:57 pm »
MgSO4 is very close to neutral (pH) or only very slightly acidic because of the magnesium ion.  It wouldn't have a significant effect on the pH of the water and could be controlled easily.   The problem is the concentration that would be necessary for the therapeutic effect.  This would greatly increase the TDS in the spa and run the risk of build up on the heater and pumps.  Say goodbye to your warranty.
"Growing older but not up..."

splib

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:18 am »
What epsom salt is good for, try here....  saltworks.us/salt_info/epsom-uses-benefits.asp

Warning!!!! Chlorine or bromine and Magnesium sulfate dont make for positive mixture. Flash burns can result to the body.

As for the hot tub or spa - if you wanted to gain the total healing power of this wonderful salt then by all mean immerse your whole body in it 2-3 times a week for as long as you have vices or health problems, but don't drink it.

The hot tub is made for a prolonged balanced water, with chlorine\bromine\acid\baking soda,  but if you're gonna heat the thing and have elderly people with health problems then the balance is irrelevant for the healing period.  The TDS would rise for sure, but if you drain it after each use and flush and rinse it should be fine.

For portable spas which are smaller then draining the water shouldn't be a problem. Just the cost of the water and the energy to heat it.   In ground spas would be different I suspect, as they tend to be larger. Most Tubs are 3-800 gallons and so are some In ground (plaster or tile type) I would think it might effect the plaster or grout on the tile if left set for too long say past 5 days. If it's an older plaster style say past a 8 years old then it wont really matter. As for acrlyic or plastic portables it shouldn't hurt it. Just remember to use the tub as healing tool and drain it after like a bath tub.

First drain the tub, then refill with fresh water, heat it up and then add the salt, jump in and start your healing process, like a workout, you probably could use it for 3-4 people each time in a day's use. Then drain and refill it, run it w the fresh water and drain it again. If you want to use it like this as a healing tool, just leave it empty till you need it again for the next healing process like a bath tub and be sure to unplug it or flip its breaker. But if you have an in ground plaster style I would refill it immediately and rebalance it.

I would GUESS, that if you wanted to use it as a weekly tool, then use it to soak your body every other day for 10- 15 mins for the full benefits of the Epsom Salt in a 7 day period then drain and refill. Be sure when you use it this way that you're not dirty when you get in, for using it without a proper balance will cause it to get funky fast.

What's more important than feeling better now verses the cost of the water and the doctor.

I've had customers use Hydrogen Peroxide in their pools, of course it's a certain grade of peroxide, which you would have to google it.

But Epsom Salt would help those w skin problems, eczema, cancer, and all that is listed in the link above.  Another great thing for these would be HEMP OIL. Hemp will bankrupt the Medical Insurance business ,it's just a matter of time that you wont ever need to pay for medical insurance ever again. But you have to stop your vices and want to actually heal yourself.

MEDICATION IS ONLY BANDAID TO THOSE WHOM DONT STOP POISONING THEIR BODIES W ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, ILLICIT DRUGS AND PRESCRIPTION DRUGS.  If you don't want to stop that's your choice, its your body, but nobody wants to be a friend to someone who doesn't care about their health. They are no fun to be around and there are better things to do w your short time of life.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:28:58 pm by Forum Admin »

chem geek

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 02:11:01 am »
Warning!!!! Chlorine or bromine and Magnesium sulfate dont make for positive mixture. Flash burns can result to the body.

While what was written about magnesium sulfate in large quantities increasing corrosion rates is true (due to increased conductivity -- though better than increasing chloride levels at least for stainless steel), I don't understand at all your statement about chlorine or bromine reacting with magnesium sulfate.  Do you have any reliable source preferably from a peer-reviewed paper in a scientific respected journal or can you detail the chemistry describing the problem?  Or are you just quoting from this link, or this link?

You do realize that most fill water has both calcium and magnesium in it, right?  Water hardness is mostly composed of both calcium and magnesium.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 06:05:21 pm »

Epsom Salt is magnesium Sulfate.  Magnesium is a powerful relaxant.  Magneisum can work as good as muscle relaxers if taken in larghe enough quantities.  So yes, people really do bath in it.  Partouallry people with chromnic pains.  If you are really tense one day, you should try it.  But just pour about 1-2 cups into a hot bathtub and soak.  It really has an amazing calming effect. 

You think it's a powerful relaxant. Put two tablespoons in a glass of water and drink it! The results almost rhyme with relax. 
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

petals20

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 07:55:24 am »
Well, on the back of some of the epsom salt label say that it's used by many health spa & massage facilities in their hot tubs. I would imagine many hot tub owners current and past have used epsom salt before so I hope they could comment on this subject because the therapeutic benefits could exponentially compliment the jets in really giving us even more relaxation & health.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 07:55:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42