What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dichlor question?  (Read 2421 times)

Topline Mike

Dichlor question?
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »
Below is a picture of the dichlor available at a local store.  Is this the normal stuff I would get at a spa store also?  I did not buy it, because it has buffer, clarifier, flocculant in there also.  I did buy the stuff in the other photo, CYA, or stabilizer. 

I am going to try the dichlor-then-bleach method on my new fill, which is happening today.  I used bromine in my first fill, and had no problems.  Just trying something else, to see if there's any difference in the water.

I'm assuming I can add 30-40ppm of the CYA right away, and then add the bleach, after I get the tub balanced? 

Hot Tub Forum

Dichlor question?
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »

Sam

Re: Dichlor question?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:49:34 pm »
The first pic is not what you get in a spa store.  You should look for 99% dichlor.

Isaac-1

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:29 pm »
You might also try Amazon (search for hot tub chlorine or chlorine granules, then use the magnifiying glass to read the % label as many don't list dichlor in the text)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 04:24:31 pm by Isaac-1 »

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:25:52 pm »
Yes, if you wanted to add pure CYA stabilizer first and then just start using bleach you could do that, but for most people using Dichlor initially is easier since it dissolves right away.  Pure CYA is slow to dissolve though in a hot tub it should go faster than in a pool.  Don't clean the filter too soon after you add the CYA.  You can end up dumping the CYA since it is slow to dissolve.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:29:10 pm »
I would just use dichlor until you get to the cya amount you want. Adding dichlor during or after use and a shock or two will get it up quickly.

Topline Mike

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:14:47 pm »
You hit the nail on the head, chem.  I added two ounces of cyanuric acid yesterday, and some of it was still sitting on the bottom of the tub this morning.  I ran a 20 minute cycle right away, and the crystals seemed to disappear.  My filters were orange from collecting all the rust out of the water, so I had to clean those out.  I will just check the cya level in 5 days, and see where I sit. 

Boy, there's nothing like a fresh fill with crystal clear water. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:14:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42