What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Smartop In Cold Climate?  (Read 4576 times)

ferbs97

Smartop In Cold Climate?
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:36:15 am »
First off, thank you to everyone here that contributes to the knowledge in contained in this site!!  My wife and I are new to the hot tub scene and this site has been a major source of our education!

Ok, down to business…

I live in the northern midwest where we commonly see weeks of sub-zero temperatures, making thermal-loss a prime concern.  We are looking into our cover options for our new tub and have come across the Smartop.  Looks expensive, but strong, and my wife really likes the clean lines of it.  She feels regular foam and vinyl covers look like wet towels spread over the tub.

Now, Im ok with paying a premium IF the product will actually last longer than a standard cover, which you would expect it would, due to the construction materials used.  BUT, Im quite concerned about the main function of the cover-insulation.  What is the R value on the cover?  I read through the website and it said "equivalent to any other cover".  Well, that seems a little vague for me.  Is there just ONE industry standard R value or can you get a better R-rated cover for extreme climates?

I don't want to buy a great looking and expensive cover that in the end keeps sucking money from my wallet monthly due to excessive heat loss…

I would love to know if anyone here has experience with this cover in VERY COLD, not just snowy, climates and is satisfied.

Cheers!

Hot Tub Forum

Smartop In Cold Climate?
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:36:15 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Smartop In Cold Climate?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:45:23 am »
I don't have experience with this cover but here's my $.02.

The company makes quality cover lifters, it looks like they are using a covermate 3 as the lift. Aesthetics aside for you,  I personally think it wouldn't be as effective as a 6"-4" all foam vinyl cover with upgraded foam density and maybe reflex shield. It looks flat which means water may pool.

Pricing it for my size tub it would be $1500  and I just bought a cover for under $400 ... My last cover lasted 9 years and I probably should have replaced it 3 years ago.  I bought a 6-4 cover without the options I listed but with double wrapped core, if I replace a cover every 7 years then it would be less than $1200  And my tub would be 21 years old ... Maybe time for a new tub. If I opted for the options I listed then it would have costed more but I felt it wasn't worth the money for my area.

ferbs97

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »
Thanks for your response,

We went in for a wet test on a Bullfrog A7 and really enjoyed the Spa.  The dealer there had a Smartop on that A7.  It is HEAVY.  My wife could hardly lift the cover.  Not interested now.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:47 pm »
The cover I just got is not that heavy but it is 1 lb density foam vs 1.5 or 2 lb. I am using my original covermate 3 http://leisureconcepts.com/products/cover-lifts/covermate-iii/ that is also 9 YO and it is working great. My old cover was a 3-2 or 4-2 OEM cover and it was extremely heavy toward the end but that covermate was almost a no go with it.

Most (all) tubs come with a cover but I guess you can always upgrade.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:58:58 pm »
In my humble opinion on the smartop in cold climates. I love the look. Sleak.....However with three conventional covers lasting 14-16 years to equal the cost of one smartop we will have to assume the smartop will last for that long. Now, with 1" of foam providing x amount of r-factor and 4" of foam providing x then common sense says the smartop will cost more over it's life in additional energy usage. And the colder the climate the higher the cost of ownership. Inside a heated lower level, cool. Southern warmer climes maybe no problem either. Buy a quality tub to put it on down south there so it lasts for 15 years.
Retired

ferbs97

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:00 am »
Vinny,

I like the minimum clearance (6") required on that assist! 

Thanks to all who posted.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:03 am »
I picked that lift because my tub is close to my deck's railing - approx a foot. I was also at a disadvantage as my tub is sunken down about a foot into the deck as well so I didn't have many options. I am very happy with the lift's performance and the fact it leaves the cover up as a visual shield as on either side of me are neighbors - so it works for me. After 9 years it is showing it's age - some of the screws are rusty, a little bit of black paint has flaked off and the foam has deteriorated somewhat ... but it handles the new (and lighter) cover very well and I couldn't justify spending $200 at this point to replace a functioning cover lifter. I guess going forward depending how my tub does I may invest in a new lifter is a couple of years and I would buy this again.

Sam

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:36 pm »
Thanks for your response,

We went in for a wet test on a Bullfrog A7 and really enjoyed the Spa.  The dealer there had a Smartop on that A7.  It is HEAVY.  My wife could hardly lift the cover.  Not interested now.

I agree that the cover is extremely heavy.  I like the concept, but the execution is lacking.

Also, good to hear that you like the Bullfrog.  I am a big fan of Bullfrog Spas.  Did you have a favorite JetPak?  My favorite's are the oscillator and rainshower.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42