What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gravel Pad  (Read 4106 times)

ramone

Gravel Pad
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »
I have filled most of my area with gravel, any one know how many inches i leave for the Pea gravel, 1 in 2 in.
Thanks alot
Ramone

Hot Tub Forum

Gravel Pad
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »

Sam

Re: Gravel Pad
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:10:51 pm »
I would certainly get the manufacturer's recommendation.  Different hot tubs have different requirements.  That being said, I would think 3-4" would be the minimum I would feel comfortable with for most tubs.  Are you enclosing the gravel in some sort of frame to keep it from washing out?

clover

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:42:49 pm »
I have filled most of my area with gravel, any one know how many inches i leave for the Pea gravel, 1 in 2 in.
Thanks alot
Ramone
While someone may have suggested pea gravel for a base, and common sense tells us that we have a 5,000 pound load that is not going anyplace, the pea gravel does present a problem to overcome.   

We deliver spa on dolly carts and other wheel devices that will disturb the level of the pea gravel, and even leave wheel tracks where the cart goes.  The delivery crew is not able to avoid this, and they are not able to hold it up in suspension as you rake it level once again.  I would suggest using a sheet of plywood over the pea gravel until the wheels are to be removed.  While the spa is at a 45° angle, and before laying it down, remove the plywood.  This will help in not disturbing the gravel during the placement. 

Just a suggestion.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

ramone

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:44 pm »
Yes I have built a base with 2 x 8 so the gravel should not wash away. Thanks for both replys.
I have been rolling it with a sod roller, the kind you fill with water, im wondering if I should rent a compacter, or should that be enough, this form is the best, i cant wait to help some people as i become more in the know.
Ordered the tub yesterday, we are excited

dunecritter

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:11:19 pm »
I'm used to the term "Pea gravel" to be small sized 1/2 to 3/4 inch rounded style of river rock? If this is what your using I might recommend to use a crush style rock that will compact and give a firmer base? Something like a 1/4 minus drive grade rock. But I probably have the wrong impression of what you pea gravel actually is?

ramone

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »
Ok here are a few photos, I hope it helps. We are now wondering if there is anything we could put up top of the pea gravel to support the tub and have a little space for a few chairs, cant thank you all enough.
DSCN2047-DSCN2045

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42