What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump is doing some really weird things.  (Read 3999 times)

5koliny

Pump is doing some really weird things.
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:58:59 pm »
My friend has asked me to help him with his hot tub. He isn't that DIY-friendly so he asked me if I could fix it. I always like a good challenge, so I accepted. When pump 1 is plugged into the system board, the GFCI trips. When the GFCI does not trip with the pump plugged in, the pump will push water through the jets, hums (when humming it does not push water) then pushes water again. Even with the pump off, it will still hum but no water comes through the jets. Any ideas? My friends tub is a 2003 Master Spa LS700

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:57:17 pm by 5koliny »

Hot Tub Forum

Pump is doing some really weird things.
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:58:59 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Pump is doing some really weird things.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:37:54 pm »
What do you mean with the pump off? Did you separate the wet end from the motor? If the motor hums and doesn't spin without the wet end then it is the motor. If the wet end is on the motor open up the wet end and see if there's anything inside it. I'm not a spa tech but as long as you have electricity (humming motor or working motor - check the pump for the correct voltage both ways) either the wet end is keeping it from spinning or the motor is bad. If the motor is bad - buy a new pump; by the time you take everything apart and rebuild seals and all it would be much better to just replace the whole thing.

clover

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »
Your pump 1 has a bad start capacitor.  The pump has 2 humps, or cans on it and the smaller one is the start capacitor.  held in place by (2) 1/4" screws, remove it, take it to a pump shop and get a new capacitor.  230 volt, 88-106 ufd.

When pusing the pump button, it will humm and will not rotate to move water.  It needs a kick start.  If you wrap a string, rope or soft wire around the shaft, between the motor and the wet end and rotate the shaft, it will start the pump.  This will confirm the start capacitor is bad.  Simple fix.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:30 pm »
Your pump 1 has a bad start capacitor.  The pump has 2 humps, or cans on it and the smaller one is the start capacitor.  held in place by (2) 1/4" screws, remove it, take it to a pump shop and get a new capacitor.  230 volt, 88-106 ufd.

When pusing the pump button, it will humm and will not rotate to move water.  It needs a kick start.  If you wrap a string, rope or soft wire around the shaft, between the motor and the wet end and rotate the shaft, it will start the pump.  This will confirm the start capacitor is bad.  Simple fix.

Good call! I knew about the start capacitor but never knew you can replace them!!

dunecritter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:17:27 pm »
Very Common and available online... I go to Grainger supply normally when I need it quickly or plenty of online suppliers. Make sure you measure the cap and get the same ufd replacement.

5koliny

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:40:30 pm »
Thanks guys, I will buy the capacitor tomorrow.

clover

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:22 pm »
Go for it, but it may not be easily found.  If you can't find one, let us know.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:59 pm »
Depending on the capacitor you need you can try Newark Electronics or Allied electronics. Newark tends to have everything electronic in their catalog but sometimes doesn't have stock.

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:22 am »
I have an extra new 240V 65uf +/- 10% if this is what you need I can part with it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42