What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Hot Springs Envoy and already screwed up!  (Read 7879 times)

MissionHockey

New Hot Springs Envoy and already screwed up!
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:40:17 pm »
Hi everyone,
Bear with me here, first time hot tub owner. I received my Hot Springs Envoy today which came with the following:

FreshWater Spa Care Starter Kit includes Chlorine Granules, MPS Oxidizer, pH Up, pH Down, Stain and Scale, Defoamer, 5 Way Test Strips, and a Spa Water Maintenance & Troubleshooting Guide

I attached a filter to the hose before filling the spa. Tested the water and the numbers were all over the place. I purchased everything I need to go the bromine route, however I decided I'll use the stater kit for the first month since it came with the tub and then switch to bromine. Well, it's 8:35PM and I'm still unable to get the water levels in range by using the products in the stater kit. I should've went the bromine route from the beginning. Is it too late? Would I have to drain and refill the tub? Please let me know... you're help is very appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

New Hot Springs Envoy and already screwed up!
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:40:17 pm »

MissionHockey

Re: New Hot Springs Envoy and already screwed up!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:18:14 am »
Someone... Anyone... Please help.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 07:58:11 am »
What are the numbers?

Are you trying to raise or lower pH, calcium, and or TA? Are you asking about chlorine?

Did you shock the tub and then look at the numbers? This is a big No No.

Please post more info.

MissionHockey

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:26:00 am »
I just tested the water... here are the results.

pH - About 7.8
Alk - 130ppm
Ch - 90ppm

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:12:50 am »
 First off don't stress over this,  nothing I see is an emergency, does need to get in the perams but no reason why you can't use you spa then contact you dealer on Tuesday assuming they are closed?    Don't worry about shocking yet, hit the spa with a tbsp. of chlorine after use or at the end of the day if the spa is getting off and on use through out the day, might just bump the chlorine up to 2 tbsp..   

Enjoy the spa this weekend and worry about the other stuff later and GET ON YOUR DEALER to help you!! 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:32:06 am by Jacuzzi Jim »

MissionHockey

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 10:21:23 am »
The chart they provided me with recommended I stay within the following ranges:

ph - Target 7.4 / Min 7.2 / Max 7.6
Alkalinity - Target 80 ppm / Min 40 ppm / Max 120 ppm
cH - Target 100 ppm / Min 50 ppm / Max 150 ppm

Also, my manual says to stay away from using chlorine and also not to use a "floating" device in the tub. I know the bromine method calls for this. Is it okay to do so anyways? I want to use the rest of the chemicals that came in the start up kit and then switch to bromine since I have already purchased everything. Will I need to drain and refill the tub to do so?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:41:07 am »
  Yes you do need to stay in certain parameters and you can use what ever you want for chems bromine or chlorine.   But right now you have chlorine right?     So by using chlorine your PH/Alk will come down same with bromine but I wouldn't worry about lowering it right now.  Give it a few days and you should be fine, at some point you will have to raise it anyway.   If you want to go to bromine that's fine and you can use a floater, I see no reason other than your manual telling you not to,  is kind of strange..  Maybe a HS guy can clarify?

There is much to learn about balancing your spa, but keep it simple!  You can get advice here which is very good or you can ask your dealer where you paid them 9000 dollars.     

Now go enjoy your spa for the weekend, it will be fine.

MissionHockey

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:14 am »
Would I need to drain and refill the tub if I wanted to switch to bromine? I'm going to use the rest of the chemicals in the starter kit and then switch over to chlorine.

MissionHockey

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:28 pm »
I just tested the water again after adding more pH down and it's still high.

pH - 8.0
Alk - 120
Ch - 100

The only thing that seems to be in range is the chlorine hardness. It seems the pH and Alkaline have a direct correlation to each other. Should I continue to add more pH down until it falls within range?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 01:00:54 pm »
   CH is calcium not chlorine hardness.    Yes you can continue to add decreaser if you want.   PH is a measurement of Alkalinity.   If adding PH decreaser you are lowering PH not Alkalinity.   Spa down another product lowers both. 

MissionHockey

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 01:05:55 pm »
I added more pH down but this stuff does not work quickly. What do you suggest to lower the cH or is it okay since it's at 100ppm? What do you suggest to lower the alkalinity?

Sam

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »
I added more pH down but this stuff does not work quickly. What do you suggest to lower the cH or is it okay since it's at 100ppm? What do you suggest to lower the alkalinity?

You don't need to lower the CH, if anything it should be a little higher.  Like Jim said, don't worry.  The water does not need to be perfectly balanced right away.  You can still use and enjoy it.  Your readings aren't too far off anyway.

To lower Alk, use Sodium Bisulfate which some companies call "spa down".  It will lower both PH and Alk.  I usually tell people to add a cap and check it again an hour later, or even the next day.

Relax and enjoy your tub!  Don't let it stress you out.

MissionHockey

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 04:08:26 pm »
I wasn't able to find "Spa Down" but I did find dry acid from Leslie's Pool Supplies. The active ingredients are Sodium Bisulfate 93%, Other ingredients 7%, Total 100%. Will this work?

MissionHockey

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »
Also, I just looked at my pH/Alkalinty Down bottle that came with the stater kit. The ingredients are "Sodium Bisulfate 95%, other ingredients 5%, total 100%." So I guess I had what I needed the entire time.

Sam

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 05:20:23 pm »
I'm not the most knowledgeable chemical guy around, but I think you are good to go.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 05:20:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42