What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemicals  (Read 4353 times)

mowgli

Chemicals
« on: June 24, 2004, 04:34:01 pm »
Just filled my new Hot Springs Envoy last night!  I can not wait to try it out but I do have a concern---all of the chemicals that came in the "strter kit,"...are they really necessary?  (so much for eating organic foods)! ;)

Hot Tub Forum

Chemicals
« on: June 24, 2004, 04:34:01 pm »

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 04:39:47 pm »
What chemicals did you get in your starter kit?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 09:11:27 pm »
You will need:

Test strips
Spa up or down (most people need only one or the other)
Dichlor
MPS if you got chlorine.

Get used to those, and you'll be fine. Most of the other stuff is helpful for speicial things.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tubin

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 12:25:05 am »
mowgli,
i wasn't to fond of dumping the chemistry set into my tub....i imagined it would smell like a public pool.

but in the right amounts, they should be unnoticed.  it should feel, smell, and look clear.   chas listed exactly what i have been using, the other stuff is like add ons (foam killer, spa scents, etc)

chas,
what is your take on a ph balancer like "perfect ph" that basically adds the whole bottle at fill and stabilizes the ph?  (sorry this is a repeat question in my other thread too about water chemistry)  i have the bottle but haven't used it yet.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 01:14:34 am »
I don't sell the pH locking chems - like pH perfect, pH magic, pH perphect, etc. - because they have a very narrow set of parameters in which they will work correctly. Outside of those parameters, or if you don't shut off the heater correctly, they will clog your heater as if you had poured it full of concrete.

I have had to go clean out and replace a few heaters - and a filter or two - and I took the time to read the label: water hardness must be in a certain range, etc. etc.

So - I fall back on my simpler-is-better approach: learn what your water normally does, and adjust it accordingly. In my spa, I can count on adding 4 or 6 ounces of spa down at start up, and a couple of ounces every couple of weeks. I almost don't have to test it any more. And I add a tablespoon of dichlor every time I climb out of it, and two ounces every time my brother-in-law climbs out  ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 11:13:50 am »
I don't sell the pH locking chems -

Besides the points that Chas went on to make, the sheer amount required of this product (2 pounds in my case) must add tremendously to the TDS levels making you change your water more often. (At least that is what I would imagine)   I think too many people try to get thier PH dead in the middle of the range.  Depending on alkalinity, I just try to get mine in the lower end of acceptable so I can add the minimal amounts of chemicals.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tubin

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 04:45:05 pm »
(and two ounces every time my brother-in-law climbs out  ;))

ha ha ha, i know the feeling, got some buddies that i "haven't" invited over for a soak for that very purpose.

wmccall,
yep, it says to add the entire bottle at fill (around 32 oz)  i just hate having paid for it and not use it, but i really dont see huge swings in ph without it here.

definitly on board with the minimalistic approach.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 04:45:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42