What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How long for cloudy water to clear up?  (Read 19249 times)

tubin

How long for cloudy water to clear up?
« on: June 24, 2004, 11:42:39 am »
well i had my first water mishap  :-[

my friday routine of chemical additions was forgotten and realized on monday---yuck

we hadn't used it over the weekend, hence probably why i had forgotten about it.  so i open the spa up and found the water had gotten cloudy and had that unique low ph smell to it.  the water was cloudy to the point where i could still see the bottom foot well, but just barely.

i immediately shocked with mps, ran the jets a while, then added my dichlor, scum digester, and  metal x as usual.  

the next day, it was still the same (i think) so i shocked again with mps, added some dichlor and circulated a while.  that night, it still looked the same so i ran some super blue through it, wiped down the sides, and ran the jets for an hour for quicker filtration.

well, it cleared up some since then and i rinsed off the filter yesterday, but still has a haze to the water today (thurs)

is this normal to take this long to clear up the water on a 24hr filtration spa w/ozonator?

thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

How long for cloudy water to clear up?
« on: June 24, 2004, 11:42:39 am »

tubin

Re: How long for cloudy water to clear up?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 03:28:30 pm »
well, i checked it again today, added a dab of dichlor, and it is almost back to normal.  

i can still see a little haze in the water, but not much.

do spas usually take that 3-4 days to go from cloudy to clear?

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 03:52:10 pm »
I'd like to know if it's normal to have a spa go "yuck" so quickly.
So you didn't add routine chemicals for 9 days? (the previous friday being the last - and being only 2-3 days late with the next)

What are you suppose to do when you go on vacation and no one is around to add chems?
Expect to come home to yuck ???
e

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 03:59:04 pm »
Next time, try shocking with dichlor.  Generally, cloudy water like that is because of lack of sanitizer.  The smell is also indicitive.  A dichlor shock will super sanitize and probably will clear you up a little quicker.  Then filter, filter, filter.  You have to clean up all those dead micro organisms.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 04:00:05 pm by tony »

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 04:30:33 pm »
I agree with Tony.  Use the dichlor to clear up a problem like cloudy water.  Use the MPS more for maintenance.  Like Tony said filter filter FILTER.  Make sure that you clean the filter regularly (approx. once a month)  and use a filter cleaner as well, not just spray it off.  Just yesterday morning for example I walked out to check my hot tub and it was cloudy, I took the filter out and cleaned it, two hours later it the water looked great.

I hope this helps

Mark

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 05:03:19 pm »
I'd like to know if it's normal to have a spa go "yuck" so quickly.
So you didn't add routine chemicals for 9 days? (the previous friday being the last - and being only 2-3 days late with the next)

What are you suppose to do when you go on vacation and no one is around to add chems?
Expect to come home to yuck ???

If your tub water is a couple of months old but otherwise looks fine it can go south pretty quick.  When I leave for 3 days, I put a double dose of dichlor and turn the temp down 10 degrees or so.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tubin

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 05:14:17 pm »
empolgation,

no, i added no chems for about 5 days.  i usually add on tues and fri.

Tony and Mark_Vee and wmcall,

oops, i reread my post, i DID do a superchlorination/shock with dichlor after I added the MPS.  am i just making a nasty cloud soup when i did them together?  i knew the MPS activated the silver cartridge and also act as a one time killer, so i also did the dichlor shock with the cover open to raise my CL levels back up.

the routine i am on is:
tuesday --- add about an ounce of dichlor
friday --- add the same dichlor, plus metal x, and scum digester

i shock every 2 weeks or after more than 2 people get in the tub.  i also do some other stuff (super blue, clean filter, nature2 etc) on a monthly or more basis.

what is weird is that i have been doing this routine for almost 3 months now without any problems, the water has been clear and smells great.  sometimes i can notice a funny smell and find the ph a little low, but raise it with ph up.

am i all jacked up?  should i do a daily dichlor addition if needed?  the above is what my dealer advised....

thanks for the suggestions!!!

edit: the temp now is 95 degrees (i lowered it)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 05:15:42 pm by tubin »

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 06:01:22 pm »
Great point wmccall.

Tubin,

When was the last time the water has been changed.  I recommend changing the water a minimum of every 3 or 4 months.  I personally change mine every month or two, with the exception of the winter here in Minnesota.  To me the water feels better soaking in the newer it is.  

The routing that you mentioned sounds fine.  Mine is close to yours.  I add dichlor after every use.  Test a couple of times a week and shock when needed.  Depending on use this could be twice a week, once a week, or maybe once every two weeks, depending mostly on who has used the hot tub.  

Snuggles

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 06:29:21 pm »
Mark Vee hit it right on the head with the water change suggestion. I think 3 months is max depending on usage I do it at 2 if it's been heavily used. Cheapest chemical in hot tubbing is the water. You will definitely see a major change in clarity and the feel of the new water. Also makes it a lot easier to maintain chemical balance. Good Luck.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 08:40:41 pm »
I also add dichlor after each use and shock as needed.  This way I know it is sanitized.  Heavy use of a tub will put a strain on sanitizer level.

tubin

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 12:04:17 am »
wooo, then i am living in a pipe dream if i follow my dealer's recommendation to change water every 6 months?

that did sound kind of long as the manual said 4 months.

well tonight the tub is finally clear again so i may use this water for a week or two more, just to see the difference old water makes (this is my first change).

when you change the water, do you use a ph balancer like "perfect ph" to stabilize the water?  i didn't the initial fill and have only added ph up 5-6 times during the 3 months of use....would this help at all?

thanks again!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 01:20:10 am »
If this comes up again, I would do as has been suggested and shock with dichlor. Save the MPS.

But do it like this: add two dry ounces of dichlor - leave the lid open and run the jets for an hour or so.

Quick rinse of the filter, close it up for the night. Next morning, test to be sure the chlorine level is still at the top. If not, one more ounce of dichlor, run jets with lid open for 1/2 hour, and I bet you'll have a nice clear tub by time you get home from work that day.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 08:07:15 am »
wooo, then i am living in a pipe dream if i follow my dealer's recommendation to change water every 6 months?

I would have to say yes,  I feel I have done a great job getting 3 months through the winter.  Mark Vee also stated it pretty well, go ahead and dump the water, you will be suprised how much better it looks and feels.  The fact that you went this long and haven't seen anything to0 drastic is probably a testament to what your doing right.  In the winter, I put off a water change by doing a partial dump.  My spa is 425 gallons, and I'll drain off about 100 and refill, that helps me extend the time till a total refill.

I very vividly remember that first water change after 3 months, I thought my water looked fine, but  was suprised how much better it was new.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Roborph

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 03:53:39 am »
 I add about 1 or 2 tsp of dichlor daily depending on usage. I shock once each week. This schedule works great for me.
When my water gets cloudy, I shock with dichlor and it takes at least 3 or 4 days to get back to normal. I also change my water every 4 months...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 03:53:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42