What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lamotte ColorQ digital water testers  (Read 3998 times)

doodle

Lamotte ColorQ digital water testers
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:27:46 pm »
OK, I know that I see the Taylor water test kit recommended on this forum quite a bit.  I'm getting ready to order myself a good water test kit (actually went to Amazon to order the Taylor kit) and came across the LaMotte 2056 and 2057 ColorQ digital testers.   They obviously cost a bit more than the taylor kit, but the digital reading is intriguing, and they aren't pro-level expensive.   The 2056 seems to have more good reviews on Amazon.

Any opinions on these kits?   I'm in a situation where my dealer is apparently not going to be a reliable resource for me, and I am a newbie and have no experience with water chemistry.  I want something that will be accurate but not too complicated, which is what is drawing me to the digital reader idea.    I'm using in-line Spa Frog/bromine. 

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Lamotte ColorQ digital water testers
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:27:46 pm »

chem geek

Re: Lamotte ColorQ digital water testers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:02:04 am »
There are quite a few reviews you can peruse on pool and spa forums regarding the ColorQ.  The thread ColorQ vs. TF100 (the TF100 uses the same reagents and most of the same tests as the Taylor K-2006 except pH uses the K-1000) shows problems with the ColorQ while the thread Colorq pro 7 debate and results gives suggestions for how to get the best results (though the unit was eventually sent back when it become flaky again) while the thread Results: Lamotte ColorQ vs. Lamotte Waterlink Spin is fairly recent still showing some issues.

Basically the FC test is DPD based so does not measure accurately at higher FC levels so cannot be used for measuring > 10 ppm as when shocking a pool though one can dilute with distilled water to get into the range of the test.  Some report OK results at lower FC levels (especially < 5 ppm) while others do not (generally from 5-10 ppm).  The TA test was consistent with some and not with others.  The CH test is also inconsistent and becomes especially poor above 300 ppm.  The CYA test is also inconsistent where most report that it is accurate while others do not.  The pH test seems to be the best.

Chartreux

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:29:26 pm »
I posted on here about the test kits, it's probably best if you get a taylor kit as you'll get more accurate results. Would be nice if the digital kit had better accuracy.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:29:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42