What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Noise and Vibration  (Read 21611 times)

whariwharangi

Noise and Vibration
« on: May 10, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »
How do I determine if a hot tub in my neighborhood is causing structure borne noise in my home?

Where can I find tonal (low frequency hum) noise nuisance standards as they apply to hot tubs?

There are at least three hot tubs causing noise at night. One is 300 meters away over the rooftops. Another one causing vibration in my wood frame house. How do I get the noise to stop?

Hot Tub Forum

Noise and Vibration
« on: May 10, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »

rosewoodsteel

Re: Noise and Vibration
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:52:08 am »
Are you actually serious?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 11:08:37 am »
You may be able to find the specification on a particular spa by contacting the manufacturer. However, this really wont tell you anything, other than how much noise it makes under controlled conditions. Once the spa is installed out in real world conditions, the noise can be drastically amplified under a multiple of conditions. Vibrations can be multiplied as they travel through a deck (turning the entire deck into a "speaker)", through concrete to the foundation of the house (turning the house into a speaker), or though some other "thing". Think "inadvertent amphitheater". I've seen where moving the spa as little as 3" can cut the noise in half.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clover

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 01:10:20 pm »
This is a tough one, maybe it is, or maybe it is't the hot tub.  The only way to evaluate this problem is to make an effrot to measure, document, or identify any frequency hum.  The problem is, the potential of finding the source, or the direction from which it comes will be a daunting task.  UNLESS of course, you can monitor the noise and then power down each individual hot tub, but I don't think this is practical in your situation, as you may have a "suspect", but you would need their cooperation during the evaluation process.

We have had customers who have dealt with situations like this from opposing neighbors that claimed it was their spa, but we went out and coordinated and monitored what was referred to as the noise which continued unabated after we shut the spa down, proving it wasn't the spa.  That does not mean the neighbor was convinced with such a non-technical evaluation, causing them to continue with thier opinion, in spite of this proof.

There is a low frequency humm phenomenon being talked about throughout the country that has yet to be identified, so far no one is talking about what it is, but theories are abundant. :-\
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

whariwharangi

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:45:12 pm »
Are you actually serious?

Yes. I've had nearly every night since christmas disturbed by vibration and noise by someones machinery.  You have no idea what 'serious' is until that happens to you.

whariwharangi

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:01 pm »
This is a tough one, maybe it is, or maybe it is't the hot tub.  The only way to evaluate this problem is to make an effrot to measure, document, or identify any frequency hum.  The problem is, the potential of finding the source, or the direction from which it comes will be a daunting task.  UNLESS of course, you can monitor the noise and then power down each individual hot tub, but I don't think this is practical in your situation, as you may have a "suspect", but you would need their cooperation during the evaluation process.

We have had customers who have dealt with situations like this from opposing neighbors that claimed it was their spa, but we went out and coordinated and monitored what was referred to as the noise which continued unabated after we shut the spa down, proving it wasn't the spa.  That does not mean the neighbor was convinced with such a non-technical evaluation, causing them to continue with thier opinion, in spite of this proof.

There is a low frequency humm phenomenon being talked about throughout the country that has yet to be identified, so far no one is talking about what it is, but theories are abundant. :-\

I've been living in this house for 8 years. The problem started at christmas 2013. Its not the 'hum' ... it usually starts between 2230 and 0130 and shuts off at 0700 ... its someones machinery.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:46 am »
Why don't you ask the neighbor to shut it off for the night to see if it stops? 

whariwharangi

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:13 am »
Why don't you ask the neighbor to shut it off for the night to see if it stops?

There are several hot tubs ... the first problem is finding a time when none of the others are operating. The second is the ambient noise in daytime so its a night time deal. The third is getting cooperation from the owner ... I have been refused three out of three (and it did not get uncivil). I guess the attitude is that since its not a problem for them it can't possibly be a problem for me.

Part of it is the tubs are not loud. The property line dBA is not above 45. In house its below 30dbA (limits of the meter) however the dBC ratings are more than 10db higher at property line and are above 30db in house. Its the tonal component of low frequency low amplitude noise but it penetrates the walls. Think of a mosquito whining in your ear. The frequency is low enough though to resonate with components of the house. How do you inpart that to the owner of a tub?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:51:11 am »
IMO, any tub you can hear from 300 meters should be deafening to people actually using it.  Some mounting screws on my old tub worked loose and I could hear the hum from my neighbors door 30 meters away, but tighening it up fixed it.   Most A/c comressors are far nosier than any hot tub I've been around.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 01:12:46 pm »
IMO, any tub you can hear from 300 meters should be deafening to people actually using it.  Some mounting screws on my old tub worked loose and I could hear the hum from my neighbors door 30 meters away, but tighening it up fixed it.   Most A/c comressors are far nosier than any hot tub I've been around.
Agreed.   I can here my neighbors heat pump from the side of my house. 
Whariwharangi, are you in a town house situation?

Topline Mike

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 01:27:43 pm »
If hot tub noise from 300 meters away bothers you, you're living in the wrong neighborhood.  Either that, or train you mind to enjoy it, instead of complaining about it. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 02:56:27 pm »
Some of my neighbors might hear my hot tub it they stood and the window on a very quiet night, between gun shots and  speeders on the nearby street.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

whariwharangi

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:36:09 pm »
If hot tub noise from 300 meters away bothers you, you're living in the wrong neighborhood.  Either that, or train you mind to enjoy it, instead of complaining about it.

Noise is a serious detractor of health. If the hot tub community wants to have this sort of attitude instead of coming up with solutions ensuring no noise in my house then perhaps we should just make hot tubs illegal.

whariwharangi

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 04:40:52 pm »

The situation is its on top of a hill. Hes boxed the tub in - east north and west and under a deck so all noise is broadcast in one direction over roof tops. The low frequency sound carries a long way ... particularly in an area that is otherwise quiet. When there is a temperature inversion ... which we are prone to get in winter and spring ... the low frequency noise bends downward ... and my house has direct line of sight over the roof tops. Its not loud .. its tonal low frequency noise that is heard as a buzzing noise in the walls. You almost can't hear it outside due to ambient noise ... the walls filter out the ambient stuff.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:43:51 pm by whariwharangi »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »
Buy him a mat for under his tub see if he bites. Neighborhood rules likely apply and they can get grey/sketchy/difficult to enforce or most likely non existent. Have you gone to your city/township/association/county board?  See if codes are in place?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42