What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: what other chemicals do I need?  (Read 3181 times)

mowin

what other chemicals do I need?
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »
Tub was delivered today. I filled with well water and used a inline filter. The dealer gave me bromine tablets. Bromine concentrate which has 82% sodium dichloro-s- triazinetrione and 14.7% sodium bromine. Alkalinity increaser, and ph increaser, defomer, and test strips. 
Any other chemicals needed or recommended?   Tub is heating up now, and dealer put tablets in the floater but added nothing else. 
Whats my next step?

Hot Tub Forum

what other chemicals do I need?
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: what other chemicals do I need?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:41:36 pm »
 I would call your dealer up and say, ok what else do I need to do??  If not and it was me I would check the PH/ALK wait for the spa to get hot and get in..    In a day check the bromine levels they need to be in the 1.5 to 2.0 ppm if that, shock it once a week continue to watch the PH/Alk and enjoy.   Then call the dealer and ask him why he didn't tell you that or send me 100 dollars.   ;)  and I will tell you the rest.. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:43:10 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Topline Mike

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:49:44 pm »
I'm telling you people, the dealers have one thing on their mind, to sell you a tub.  Mowin, your dealer has left you high and dry.  Add this, add that, and you're good.  Bologna.  How are we supposed to help you when we know nothing about your water chemistry?  I'm going to say it til I'm blue in the face, get your self a good test kit.  If your TA (total alkalinity) is high, why did he recommend pH increaser?  If your CH (calcium hardness) is around 150, defoamer was a waste of money.  You are using a bromine sanitation system, which means you need to add sodium bromide to create a bromide bank.  Your dealer failed to inform you of this, as he/she doesn't know water chemistry, but rather hot tub sales.  If there is an argument about what I just wrote, I would like to know what it is.  If you want your hot tub to last a long time, get the Taylor K2106 test kit from amazon, or directly from Taylor.  When you get it, post your results, and we'll be happy to inform you of your next step. 

It may seem like I am yelling, but I'm just trying to help out the folks that are spending thousands of dollars on a new hot tub, and are led on the wrong path as far as maintenance goes.  I've helped a few others on this forum behind the scenes, and I'm sure I'll help a few more.  Rant over. ;D

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:58:17 pm »
In the mean time use a test strip or 2 and see where your water is. Give us those results. Write them down. We can help with what you have. Don't get anything else until you tell us where your water is now.
Retired

mowin

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:23:07 am »
I will do that later this morning when the rain stops.  Dealer basically said what Tman said.  Use test strips to see where your at and adjust from there.  Ill stop and grab a taylor kit from a dealer today. If they dont carry taylor, whats a comparable brand? 

Oh ya.   Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it......

EDIT...  test strip results..

FCI.  0
Alk  200+
Ph  9.0+
Th around 175
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:23:13 am by mowin »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 07:14:13 am »
The bromine and dichlor will drive down your PH and TA however I think I would try and slowly drive them down just a bit myself. Get some bromine in there and enjoy. Keep us posted. You will need some spa down for this. Dry acid.
Retired

clover

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:15:23 pm »
So much for that support team concept.  Water chemistry is a learned process for each consumer.  Nobody's water is the same.  Your water testing starts with what you see and smell, then advance to the dip strips, although the Taylor kit measures more than the strips that will only indicate sanitizer, alk, and pH.

In response to your direct question, how about filter cleaner?
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:15:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42