What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Help Deciding Please!!  (Read 8270 times)

nightbird1103

Need Help Deciding Please!!
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:45:58 pm »
We're looking at 90x110 tubs.  I'd like to keep the cost around 10k.  We saw Caldera Cantabria- that's my favorite, but the most costly at $11,6.  The Maax 811 at $10,8 and the South Seas 965L which is the lowest at $9,5. 

The Caldera just seemed more luxurious.  However, I know that I can get somewhat hypnotized by pretty lights and waterfalls. 
Is the Cantabria THAT much better than the others?  I did like that the frog inserts right into the tub so nothing has to float around.  Other than that, I'm not sure about the technical aspects of the unit.  The dealer that suggested the South Seas to keep me closer to my budget also sells Sundance- that comparable model was over $14k  :(

I'm stuck on a couple of things....seat heights being one of them, because I still have an 8 year old who won't be able to sit anywhere in a spa w/o a cooldown seat (so that eliminates the South Seas) but my wallet tells me that she'll grow :)

The other issue with a tub this size is the cover w/ lifter.  It appears that they all fold across the short side of the tub and stick up substantially. This impacts my line of sight to the pool.  Do any of them fold longways?  I.e. the cover stores on the long side of the tub (preferably behind my head if I'm in the lounger).   

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Need Help Deciding Please!!
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:45:58 pm »

Quickbeam

Re: Need Help Deciding Please!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:35:42 pm »
Don't know about the tubs you are looking at, but for the cover, would a "cover shelf" be of any use to you? Something like this:
http://www.leisureconcepts.com/main.php?page=19

We are just in the process of getting our first tub, and we face a similar problem with the cover. We have decided to use a cover shelf. I'm also going to make up some kind of trolley that I can stand the cover on and then wheel it away. I think for us at least, one of these two ideas (cover shelf or trolley) should work.

GGRANDEE

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »
Go and wet test a Hot Springs Grandee. The cover folds length-wise. I bought it in Sept. '13 for just under $10K and it has been nothing short of fantastic.  ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:52:46 pm »
We're looking at 90x110 tubs.  I'd like to keep the cost around 10k.  We saw Caldera Cantabria- that's my favorite, but the most costly at $11,6.  The Maax 811 at $10,8 and the South Seas 965L which is the lowest at $9,5. 

The Caldera just seemed more luxurious.  However, I know that I can get somewhat hypnotized by pretty lights and waterfalls. 
Is the Cantabria THAT much better than the others?  I did like that the frog inserts right into the tub so nothing has to float around.  Other than that, I'm not sure about the technical aspects of the unit.  The dealer that suggested the South Seas to keep me closer to my budget also sells Sundance- that comparable model was over $14k  :(

I'm stuck on a couple of things....seat heights being one of them, because I still have an 8 year old who won't be able to sit anywhere in a spa w/o a cooldown seat (so that eliminates the South Seas) but my wallet tells me that she'll grow :)

The other issue with a tub this size is the cover w/ lifter.  It appears that they all fold across the short side of the tub and stick up substantially. This impacts my line of sight to the pool.  Do any of them fold longways?  I.e. the cover stores on the long side of the tub (preferably behind my head if I'm in the lounger).   

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The Caldera and Maxx are really pretty close on price so in that case get the one you think is best for you and Caldera has a good reputation so I wouldn't let the $800 difference matter if that's the one I liked best. The South Seas spa price is enough different that I can see how that might intrigue you but they're an unknown to me.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 12:03:18 pm »
Go and wet test a Hot Springs Grandee. The cover folds length-wise. I bought it in Sept. '13 for just under $10K and it has been nothing short of fantastic.  ;)

That's real cheap for that tub.  They are $13,900 at the HS dealer down the street from me

clover

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:12:06 pm »
...........The South Seas spa price is enough different that I can see how that might intrigue you but they're an unknown to me.
Made by Artesian Spas, and detailed on their website.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

llc

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »
...........The South Seas spa price is enough different that I can see how that might intrigue you but they're an unknown to me.
Made by Artesian Spas, and detailed on their website.
Anyone have any info on them?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:07 pm »
Did Artesian make the South Seas line to compete with some lessor expensive brand lines out there? Artesian has a good reputation. I would put them in the top ten. Quality manufacturers that carry a secondary, less expensive line of tubs usually do OK in this category.

Where are you located that your prices are so high? You can get a lot of hot tub for 8-10 grand around here. Like the Grandee. Or the big Limelight for a bit less.

The frog system works but there are several easy ways to maintain sanitation.

Caldera has a great reputation for elegance. And quality and longevity. Combined with well insulated small power circ pumps. Haven't seen the inside of the newer Calderas. Don't know if we have a Caldera dealer on the forum. Any room to move on that price by the dealer?

If there's room to move on price with the Caldera there will be room on the South Seas FYI

I used a cover shelf for 6-8 years on one tub worked great and kept the cover out of the way of all views. But you have to have the room for half the cover out and away from the tub on one side.
Retired

nightbird1103

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:37:27 am »
I'm in northern NJ.  Everything is overpriced here....I remember hearing a radio commercial saying that in some states what they pay in property taxes we pay for car insurance....ours is almost 2K for 2 cars w/ clean licenses..... and so it goes..

I feel like once we get up in price, what's the difference if I spend another grand?  The one hang up I have with the south seas is that the filter is always visible.  I think that alone would make me mental.  Not sure how that would translate into $$ though.  My kids would tell me to spend the extra money so they didn't have to hear me complaining about it for the next 10 years.

Do you think there's a marked difference in the filtration?  The dealer who sells South Seas also sells Sundance, and they were trying to sell me the Sundance on the basis that the parts, although they may be made by the same company (waterway jets for example) do, in fact, differ in quality. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:37:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42