What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Circuits  (Read 2446 times)

Chartreux

Circuits
« on: April 30, 2014, 04:21:29 pm »
So would you hook up a hot tub to 2 seperate circuit breakers on the main house circuit box or would you have a small seperate circuit breaker box just for the 2 circuits needed for a hot tub???On our current house we have room on the existing main circuit box for 2 dedicated switches. So I guess my question is do you put it on the main circuit breaker or install a whole new smaller circuit breaker box and why??? I Have my computer alone on a dedicated circuit can you do that with a hot tub as well, I'm considering dedicating two switches from all that I've read...

Hot Tub Forum

Circuits
« on: April 30, 2014, 04:21:29 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Circuits
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:10:46 pm »
Please contract with a qualified licensed electrician experienced with installing hot tubs.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Isaac-1

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:34:08 pm »
I too would suggest consulting a licensed electrician, there are special rules for hot tubs that dictate minimum and maximum distance to the disconnects or GFCI breakers.

Chartreux

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:01:26 pm »
My Dad is an EE (Electrical Engineer degree), so I do know some of this and what to look for as far as breaker boxes and how to fish lines through to the breaker box. Oh course the Install will have to have his permits and follow the local codes as well as being insured. We did fish the lines through to the circuit box for a seperate dedicated line for my computer. I just want to make sure the Install person will be a professional because in the State of Texas there is no safe guards for Home improvements and if it's done wrong there is only legal recourse, when the job gets done I will know it's done right will all the paperwork and on how they install it, as I will be hovering over them...I do know what a ground wire is....Both bathrooms and my kitchen is on GFCI's.

Topline Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:08:04 pm »

Chartreux

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:30:22 am »
Yes, Thank you, so that's what will get hooked up next to the regular circuit breaker box on the outside of the house. Thank you.
Just want to make sure, as contractors in this State are not regulated anymore and have not been since 2009.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 07:44:06 pm »
I think the best way to have a tub wired for maintenance/convenience is to put a standard double 220 *amp breaker in your house and a GFCI/shut off outside by the tub. It's easier to eliminate GFCI problems during a service call. You don't have to be home and set a tech up to do a better job.

But make sure you use right sized wire and components and have your local codes regarding it's installation in your hands and exceed them.
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:50:03 am »
off-topic, maybe. You didn't mention the subject.

However, suggest just go ahead with 60 AMP service from the start.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:50:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42