What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The Salt Dellima  (Read 14485 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
The Salt Dellima
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:59 pm »
Salt seems to be a new rage in the spa industry and many people are jumping on the bandwagon so over 2 years ago I decided to test it out in several different capacities...

I'll avoid brand names here on both generators and spa brands to avoid feeding into the whole "yeah but the brand I sell doesn't do that" argument. Just assume with my resources that I've tested your brand (because I have most).

First I ordered a generator that hung over the side and tried it on my personal spa. My initial reaction was that I LOVED the feel of the water and greatly enjoyed not messing with any chemicals for 3 months...then, in the middle of a blizzard, my spa tripped the GFCI and shut down. Being the tech I am, I immediately narrowed it down to the heater and started changing it at 10PM at night with wind and snow whipping around me. It wasn't that easy...when I pulled the heater I noticed that not only was the heater corroded through but my stainless steel heater tube (1 year old) was eaten through! So I put a new heater assembly in, changed all the damaged seals and gaskets and tried again. This time I thought I might be better off with a "built in" system which had more control even though I was willing to assume full responsibility for not being strict with my balance.

So after much work I was again enjoying my salt water hot tub...In addition, assuming that the damage was because I was just enjoying good feeling water and not taking care of balance and maintenance, I was ready to test some of the "Hang over" generators in the field on customer spas we serviced and spas that we knew would be balanced correctly.

Well, less then 2 months, my titanium heating element ate completely through once again! Not only that it looked it the salt went after it with a vengeance even though I was being meticulous about it! I hemmed and hawed...called other old timers, called the manufacture of the heater (who by the said they didn't like salt and wouldn't talk with me about it) and called the manufacture of both salt generators. I went back out to my spa and studied the situation, scratching my head and trying to understand because theoretically it shouldn't do what it did so fast! While looking I noticed that everything in my spa was grounded or "Bonded" except the heater tube in the plastic box (didn't reconnect the wire)...BINGO, my heater had become a "Sacrificial Anode" for the salt system! I grounded it and so far, I'm over 8 months with no issue, water is great and everything works fine!

So, we started selling the systems to everyone! Here is were the real battle begins...Many people have their own interpretation of our instructions and the instructions of the salt generator manufactures! We started having more heater issues then ever and most of them had holes in the flanges that are gasketed at the unions. In almost every case of failure however, we were able to determine the customer had done one of three things
1. They added to much salt adding it monthly or even weekly
2. They set their generators to produce way to much chlorine to the point that the parts smelled of chlorine when we changed them
3. They never checked balance.

So here is my synopsis...
1. I love setting in salt water, to the point that even if I had to put one heater a year in I would use it!
2. Salt is more corrosive...Water is a solvent, add salt its a better solvent
3. The water balance stays better with salt however if you let it go, you're in for catastrophy
4. Trying to do it on your own without the input of a professional will lead to failure unless you're willing to the experience of a tech or chemical expert.

Last, my biggest pet peeve throughout this process has been the sheer number of people that come to me and say "do you offer salt systems like the guys up the road because we can't deal with chlorine" Folks, salt systems ARE chlorine!

Hot Tub Forum

The Salt Dellima
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:59 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: The Salt Dellima
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:23 pm »
 Nice post,  long time buddy, you need to check in a bit more often!   ;)

chem geek

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:31:13 pm »
Also note that if you used ONLY the saltwater chlorine generator for chlorine and you never added any Cyanuric Acid (CYA) to the water either directly or via stabilized chlorine (e.g. Dichlor or Trichlor), then your active chlorine level is too high in the spa and that will also accelerate the corrosion rate.  With some CYA in the water the chlorine strength is moderated.  If you put in 30-40 ppm CYA then that should do well in the spa.  You may notice that the hot tub cover lasts longer as there will be less outgassing of chlorine and you may notice your swimsuits, skin and hair getting less oxidized from the chlorine as well.

Isaac-1

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:04 pm »
Thanks for the comments it confirms my thoughts on the subject, I installed a drop in SWG (Saltron Mini) on my new to me 15 year old Hot Spring Jetsetter a couple of months ago (9 weeks to be exact), so far I love it, but am having some fine tuning issues, probably due to trying to get it to the balance point in such a small tub.  Right now I have it set to run 4 hours per day which causes chlorine levels to build up slightly over time, but at 3 hours per day (next step down) it fails to maintain high enough chlorine levels.  Still for $100 I think it was a great investment, I will just have to keep an eye on the heater and see how it lasts (it is the current style no-fault heater).   I keep the drop in unit in the filter well, and have the unit set to run its 4 hours out of each 24 during the night, so peak chlorine level will be a few hours after my evening soak.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:27:13 am »
Nice post,  long time buddy, you need to check in a bit more often!   ;)

I had to look at the date, I thought someone revived an old thread.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
Yes Bill....Stories of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! ;)

Sorry I don't get involved more however, a few of the more talked about manufactures here seem to think my opinion sways the public and don't like me stating my findings on an open forum. They complained to the magazine I write a column for and said they didn't want me writing in an unbiased industry publication if I was going to post public opinions on forums that were less then favorable to them.

Hopefully this wont tick off any salt people! It's my personal findings looking into using chlorine generators...if the Morton Salt girl files a lawsuit I'm screwed!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:56:33 am »
chem geek does make a good point here....cyanuric acid is one of the least understood products used in spas because most consumer Chlorines already contain it and the issue is trying to keep it from building up with use.

Chlorine in spas needs to be stablized becuase of the hot water and volitile environment which is why I always suggest customers to get their products from a local dealer who not only carries stablized chlorine but can explain the danger of tri-chlors and cal-hypos that arent stablized. The sodium chloride being produced from salt generators would also be considered "Unstablized" and could use some CA.

Cal-hypo is one of the products that I see the most damage from in the field when used in spas.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:39:20 pm »
You were in New England area right Stew? Sorry we forget those less traveled here. But you've always been a respected member here. Screw them others..... ;D
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:31:21 pm »
You were in New England area right Stew? Sorry we forget those less traveled here. But you've always been a respected member here. Screw them others..... ;D

He's in Colorado.    I think the Bronco's play there, the same Bronco's that Seattle kicked the, well will just leave it at that  8)     

chem geek

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 11:57:37 pm »
Chlorine in spas needs to be stablized becuase of the hot water and volitile environment which is why I always suggest customers to get their products from a local dealer who not only carries stablized chlorine but can explain the danger of tri-chlors and cal-hypos that arent stablized. The sodium chloride being produced from salt generators would also be considered "Unstablized" and could use some CA.

Cal-hypo is one of the products that I see the most damage from in the field when used in spas.
Just note that Trichlor IS stabilized chlorine.  It just adds less CYA than Dichlor, but it's also quite acidic.  The following are chemical rules independent of concentration of product or of spa size.

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

The damage from using Cal-Hypo is likely due to the increased CH over time as that will eventually lead to scaling which can damage heaters since calcium carbonate scale on the heat exchanger prevents some of the heat transfer so would heat up the element internally potentially damaging the heater.  One can also get scale on spa surfaces though that is reversible (still a pain, though).

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:26:28 am »
Jacuzzi Jim,
You're not referring to that time when the Cowboys stole the Broncos uniforms and snuck into the superbowl are you?

Chem Geek, I'm not sure "Over Time" is a good scenario on Cal Hypo...I can't tell you the hundreds of times I've seen damage to spas from the product. More specifically, HTH chemicals from walmart.

Every time I ask "are you using HTH chemicals?" people tell me "we've just recently started"....Could be people not telling the truth but with the sheer number of times I would have to point at the product being volitile to portable spas!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:02:05 am by stuart »

chem geek

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 03:44:05 am »
So just to be clear, a single use of hth Cal-Hypo caused problems in the spa?  What did it do?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 09:31:55 am »
Not a single use but over a very short period it attacks the seals, dicolors and peels pillows, leaves a white film above the waterline and clouds the control screens.

My guess is that most have used it for at least a month by that time.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:21:58 am »
I have witnessed this same thing happen Stuart.  Probably a dozen or so times over the years

Water Boy

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 10:56:02 am »
Not a single use but over a very short period it attacks the seals, dicolors and peels pillows, leaves a white film above the waterline and clouds the control screens.

My guess is that most have used it for at least a month by that time.

I agree with Stuart. I would bet that the HTH chlorine is the number one culprit. They brand it as spa chlorine, and show a picture of a hot tub on the bottle. But, the product is 47% Cal Hypo, and not diclor. Most manufactures warranty states that the warranty is voided if Cal Hypo is used in the spa. I bet there are many people using that HTH stuff and don't even know they are using the wrong stuff.

I also think he hit the nail on the head when he said people think salt water is non chlorine or chlorine free. From my experience, most consumers think salt water in a non chlorine, chemical free water treatment, and that is obviously not the case.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:09:37 am by Water Boy »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 10:56:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42