What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New hot tub on the way, which Sanitizer?  (Read 8295 times)

Topline Mike

New hot tub on the way, which Sanitizer?
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »
Ok, all you hot tub dealers and spa gurus on this site, if you were buying a new hot tub, which sanitizing system would you use? 

1)Chlorine

2)Bromine

3)Nature2

4)One that is easier than the above choices that I don't know about!

And WHY? 

Hot Tub Forum

New hot tub on the way, which Sanitizer?
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »

rosewoodsteel

Re: New hot tub on the way, which Sanitizer?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »
Bromine.  Because it works well in hot water.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »
 Nat 2, shock and chlorine.. 

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:04:14 pm »
Bromine.  Because it works well in hot water.

Chlorine works fine in hot water if there is some Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water to moderate chlorine's strength since that reduces its depletion rate.  The Dichlor-then-bleach method builds up some CYA initially and then one switches to bleach to not continually build up the CYA which would otherwise make the chlorine less effective over time.

Bromine is more convenient if one does not use the spa frequently.  Chlorine works well if you use the spa every day or two.  Nature2 with non-chlorine shock (MPS) works and is EPA approved (as are chlorine and bromine), but to keep the water clear you'll probably need to add chlorine every week or two.

Water Boy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »
Nat 2, shock and chlorine..

I use this method as well and have many customers that do. Very easy to use, water always crystal clear. I would recommend it. But, use what you are comfortable with. Bromine works fine as well.

What tub did you end up going with?
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Topline Mike

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:06:12 pm »

[/quote]
What tub did you end up going with?
[/quote]

Jacuzzi J375.  One year old. 

Water Boy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:48 am »
Good deal, and congrats on your new spa. With it only being a year old, it should still be in great condition, and you should get many more years of enjoyment out of it.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

summerside9000

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »
I use Bromine mostly but have tried chlorine as well.
U can save some cash if you go to the Big box stores to buy your chemicals if you can find them. Home Depot/Lowes. Great for the filter cleaners / water test strips/shock treatments and such.
Make sure the concentrations are the same as the ones you buy at Beachcomber or Jacuzzi first.
Once you have the PH up and down and the Cal up and down, Optimizer plus, etc. etc. you will be ready to tackle any situation.
I have a stash of about 300.00 worth of stuff I bought at a store that was going out of business. 75% off yes!
Primarily you will use the sanitizer to keep the water clear and the PH to keep the water soft.
I like Bromine.
You will find the mad scientist inside of you in 6 months max.

beerguy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 02:05:47 pm »
I used the Nature2 system for many years and loved it.  The minerals in it seemed to reduce the amount of chemicals I needed to use.  Is the Marquis Frogger system similar?

red2play

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 04:48:25 pm »
My sales rep along with me insisting on CD Ozonator, I'm going to get a spa frog system with the CD Ozonator ( I know its misspelled).  Its my understanding that you just do the filter cycles and adjust the spa frog system and that's it.  It comes with two carts, minerals and bromine.  You take out the spa frog when you enter the spa and then you put it back in when you leave the spa.  From what I understand, its the simplest method and leaves the water really soft and clean.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »
Spa frog is bromine and minerals. Nature 2 is minerals for chlorine. Add an ozonater to either to reduce additions slightly. And MPS (shock, peroxymonopersulfate) to reduce chlorine or bromine use. The bleach method is an option.

Balance and sanitation, treat them like 2 completely different things. Balance PH and TA to keep water neutral, which in turn keeps it between soft and hard, better for skin and tub. And sanitize to keep water clean.
Retired

joelc73

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:59:55 am »
I know it's been asked and responded to a million times but I'm so confused!  I've always thought of myself as reasonably intelligent, but my head is spinning in reading about all the options!

I know I want to use chlorine and a Nature2.  Plus the my tub (D1 Amore Bay) has UV and an Ozinator. 

I'm so confused about MPS vs regular chlorine vs Bleach, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:04:14 pm »
Don't panic, if your using chlorine your killing nastys in your water. Read some posts here and on other sites. MPS is a shock option (oxidizer) Just sanitize for sure with something to start and don't over manage your water. Relax and enjoy the tub!

If we can get water readings its pretty easy to instruct how to balance your water.

Chlorine is a good start. 2-3 PPM after soak should be 1 or lower by next day for your soak. If it's 2 days your even more golden chlorine will be very low .2-.4 like drinking water. And your ozone and minerals will polish your water.

We will talk about the sanitizer (if chlorine is your choice) and how it effects your balance (PH/TA) next folks.
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »
Water balance greatly effects many things. This is not sanitation, that is done with a chemical like chlorine or bromine. And can be done multiple ways as you learn.

Balance is what makes your water feel good and balanced water keeps your tub cleaner (rust, calcium build up, staining) It also helps your sanitation choice work better. 7.0-7.4 PH and 80-120 Total Alkalinity are whats important. Iron/metals or minerals can also effect this so a good water test is imperative. Find out where you are now to slowly add what is needed to "balance your water."

The reason sanitizers like chlorine and bromine effect your "balance" is because they are acidic which in turn slowly drives down PH and TA as your water gets more acidic. Low PH/TA acidic, high PH/TA alkali.

The funny thing is water is different everywhere and its amazing how high PH/TA people try so hard to get their balance right when, if they were to relax, soak and sanitize it will most likely slowly go down anyway. And low PH/TA people are the ones who have to add and add baking soda and soda ash during their entire water cycle. And remember 1 week or 1 month or even 6-12 months of poor balance will likely not ruin your tub or skin as long as your working on it. Most water is somewhere between 6.6 at the lowest PH I have seen and 8.4 at the high end. One will stain/corrode your tub the other will stain and plug it as stuff builds up on your lines, pumps, plumbing and jets. If one needs to be raised say PH, and the other needs to be lower like TA, then it's a fun game of finding out what level of raising one will effect the other and visa versa.

Just my views there are plenty of others.
Retired

joelc73

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 10:42:12 am »
Don't panic, if your using chlorine your killing nastys in your water. Read some posts here and on other sites. MPS is a shock option (oxidizer) Just sanitize for sure with something to start and don't over manage your water. Relax and enjoy the tub!

If we can get water readings its pretty easy to instruct how to balance your water.

Chlorine is a good start. 2-3 PPM after soak should be 1 or lower by next day for your soak. If it's 2 days your even more golden chlorine will be very low .2-.4 like drinking water. And your ozone and minerals will polish your water.

We will talk about the sanitizer (if chlorine is your choice) and how it effects your balance (PH/TA) next folks.

Thanks so much Tman122.  Your posts were super helpful -- I was definitely starting to sweat it a bit!

The approach I think I'm planning to use (assuming I'm understanding correctly) is that my normal maintenance will be one scoop of MPS shock per bather after each soak PLUS weekly treatment with chlorine (not sure which one -- would love any ideas there).

Does that sound right?  This will be in addition to the UV, Ozinator and Nature2.

Thanks again,
JC

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 10:42:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42