What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Replace or Continue to Repair 20 Year Old Caldera Spa?  (Read 9196 times)

beerguy

Replace or Continue to Repair 20 Year Old Caldera Spa?
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:49:30 pm »
I am new to the forum and hope you will offer a bit of advice.  I have a 20 year old Caldera Niagra spa that I bought new.  I've had to tear out foam and isolate leaks a couple of times over the last few years.  The spa is in a corner of an unheated room (northern MN) and it is a royal pain to move the tub to the center of the room to begin the excavation process.  The culprit has been small O-rings.  Now one of the pumps is down and they no longer make the pump I have.  I can find parts to rebuild it for a few hundred dollars.  I replaced the ozonator a year back and ever since a giant splash of water rains down over the (sealed) control panel every time the low speed pump cycles.  I can't see where it's coming from without cutting open the internal shroud.  The lights for the control panel haven't worked in years so I have to use a flashlight to make any setting adjustments. 

Would you continue to nurse this one along or do you think it is time to start thinking about a replacement?  I saw the Marquis Epic today and I liked it a lot, although it runs over $10,000.  What do you expect the average life span of a spa to be?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Hot Tub Forum

Replace or Continue to Repair 20 Year Old Caldera Spa?
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:49:30 pm »

dunecritter

Re: Replace or Continue to Repair 20 Year Old Caldera Spa?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:52:21 pm »
That's a tough one.... A lot of technology has changed in 20 years just like automobiles...You will most likely gain comfort, efficiency, better Hydrotherapy from better jet designs, whistles and bells and obvious aesthetics. But only you know if you can part with the greenbacks and how much you want the new technology? I personally loose patience and would rather rid a headache than keep throwing money into repairs and I'd get tired of doing them. I'm kinda techy and really like new technology. I'm replacing my almost 6 month old Tub because they made some very kool changes to the new 2014 model....So I'm a bad influence.
To get 20 years out of your hot tub is a great success in my book and I'd say you deserve a new one! Yeah....I said it.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »
I agree, they reach a point where they just aren't cost effective to repair. I think you can get a pretty decent tub for under 10g's though. Take your time look around get some ideas in your head. Marquis makes a great tub but there are others also.

Do you still enjoy your soaks? Or did you when it was working?
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:58:13 pm »
That's a tough one.... A lot of technology has changed in 20 years just like automobiles...You will most likely gain comfort, efficiency, better Hydrotherapy from better jet designs, whistles and bells and obvious aesthetics. But only you know if you can part with the greenbacks and how much you want the new technology? I personally loose patience and would rather rid a headache than keep throwing money into repairs and I'd get tired of doing them. I'm kinda techy and really like new technology. I'm replacing my almost 6 month old Tub because they made some very kool changes to the new 2014 model....So I'm a bad influence.
To get 20 years out of your hot tub is a great success in my book and I'd say you deserve a new one! Yeah....I said it.

Its always great to hear of 20 year old spas out there because we always preach that well made spa brands will last but it also sounds like you're willing to do your part to maintain it but are you at a point of diminishing returns where one fix leads to another? You know the tub better than us but from afar I'd seriously consider replacing it. Do a search on what reputable brands are sold in your area (Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Marquis, Jacuzzi, Sundance... their websites will have dealer locators) and go check them out. That may help you make your decision one way or the other, you may see the new ones and know its time or maybe you decide to stretch it out further after looking.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:55 pm »
The lights for the control panel haven't worked in years so I have to use a flashlight to make any setting adjustments.... 
My Coleman had the same problem.  It took quite some time, but I was able to track down the small bulbs for the control panel.   A friend of mine at work, and AV guy, turned me on to a specialty company that sells the things.   Let me know if you are interested and I'll see if I can dig up the information.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:45:03 am »
20 years is a great lifetime for a hot tub.  If a new one costs $10,000 and lasts 20 years, that is only $500/year.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Pers Onal

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:01:07 pm »
Hard to say. I just rebuilt the frame on my 13 year old hydro-spa, but almost didn't decide to do so.

It really depends on your financial circumstances and threshold for dealing with things.

You could go either way.

I'm not wealthy but have decent financial resources and after a number problems I tend to want no problems and get rid of it.

If your budget is tight, and you have better things to do with your money - not a thing wrong with squeezing more life out of it.

I will say that getting a new tub involves a certain amount of hassle. I was going to do so, started scheduling wet soaks, looking at crane required, deciding which model to buy, getting the old one out, getting the new one in. Not to mention 8 grand or so for a three person ( really just two).

Then I said, what the heck it's a whole lot easier just to rebuild the frame and keep rolling. I do like a lot about the tub that I have and it works well.

Looking at what you have to fix, looks easier to me than swapping out tubs.

But,hey - sometimes it's just time for a change.

beerguy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 02:31:18 pm »
Thank you for your replies.  I am leaning towards a new spa but need to have my contractor buddy come over to look into removing the 8' sliding glass doors and framework on the external wall that the spa must go through.  I measure a 93" opening and would be tipping a 90" wide spa through that hole.  I am guessing the easiest way to get the old one out would be to cut it up with a sawzall and carry it out in pieces.

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 03:08:45 pm »
Crane out old and crane in the new at same time....Option?

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 03:31:25 pm »
I was thinking chainsaw until my buddy wanter the old tub.

beerguy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 04:08:27 pm »
No cranes.  The tub will have to get slid down a moderate hill on the side of the house for 40' and then spun 90 degrees and slid about 50' on a concrete patio under my deck.  Then it gets stood up on a 3' wide sidewalk with a steep boulder hill going down towards the lake.  It will then have to be tipped into the hole in the wall while a couple of us try to find footing on the boulders.  There is no way to get a crane or bobcat down the side of the house.  Being the new spa weighs 850 pounds I'll be calling a lot of buddies.  It will be a nightmare and I'll send my wife away for the afternoon.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:10:56 pm »
I was thinking chainsaw until my buddy wanter the old tub.

Chainsaw is quick but messy. Sawzall with plenty of demo blades isn't as messy.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:10:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42