What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another First Time Buyer  (Read 10236 times)

lastmanstan

Another First Time Buyer
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:15:30 am »
Looking to buy my first tub, after finally settling down and having the space (and cash) to do so.  Really want to get a feel if my $10K budget will cover any spa's on the shortlist I've come up with, or if anyone has any other suggestions on tubs I should consider.  So far these are the ones on the shortlist.

Caldera Niagara
Sundance Optima
Marquis Epic
Bullfrog A7 or A8
Potentially Hot Springs Vanguard

Not looking for any extras - base tub with a cover and lifter is all I need, and not looking for ACE salt system or anything like that (know they are getting better, but jury still seems to be out, and HS probably last on my list at least for now).  Planning to get out for first viewing this weekend, and wet test once I've narrowed it down a bit.  Does my budget seem reasonable, are there any clear winners on this list, or does anyone think there should be any others added to this list (basically a no-lounger medium-large tub - looked at D1, but they seem pricey, and Arctic don't have any dealers in my area).

Thanks All

Hot Tub Forum

Another First Time Buyer
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:15:30 am »

lastmanstan

Re: Another First Time Buyer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:33:17 am »
Edit...

Should have said Marquis Euphoria, not Epic, and most important factor overall to me is reliability.  Don't want to be switching out pumps every 12 months.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:17:33 am »
There are some great choices in your list. I'm surprised you find D1 pricey. Should be able to have the Nautilus for under 10 grand easy. Get out there and start wet testing if possible. All of those tubs will feel different and one will stand out for you.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:47:13 am »
Welcome to the forum!  Some people don't have that many good choices.  Personally I have experience with the Optima and the Vanguard and could be happy with either.   I've never had a Bullfrog dealer in my town, so I would welcome any perspective on what you see if you visit.  I've known a few Caldera owners that are happy. It  looks like your off to a good start.

Don't forget comfort with the dealer.   I'm on my 2nd tub in 11 years and 2 dealers as well.  The first one was in jail shortly after my purchase. So  I made dealer comfort a bigger factor my 2nd time around.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Topline Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:42 am »
My family wet tested last weekend.  We were in Marquis, Sundance, Hot Springs, and Bullfrog.  Of course the kids liked all of them, as we've never had a tub before.  No.3 choice would have been the Hot Springs Grandee, I loved the moto jets.  No.2 choice was the Bullfrog A8, the kids really wanted this one, mainly because of the size.  I did like it, but I didn't like the center dome.  It seemed as though I had to bend my knees up in a not so comfortable position to sit in a seat and put my feet against the dome.  I'm average height, at 5'9".  So, NO.1 was the Marquis Epic.  It fit us well, was big enough, and I loved the layout of it.  I'm just not a fan of the open center, with or without a dome.  I need some place to put my feet against so I'm not fighting to stay in position.  The Epic had this foot stop in most of the seats.  Another thing my oldest son didn't like was having the person sitting next to him touching legs.  We went in a dry Bullfrom A7,and to all be in there at the same time, we had to bring our knees up as to not touch the person next door to you, which isn't was a hot tub is ment for.  I want to sit in it and relax, without worrying about anything. 

As far as pricing went, the Epic was the cheapest also.  Bullfrog A8 was 2G more.  Depending on your area, I would hope you can get what you want for the budget you have. 

The nearest Jacuzzi dealer was 70 miles from us.  I went there recently on my own, and now they are also in the running.  I looked at the J355, J375, and J365.  Price was in the Bullfrog range, but there was some wiggle room. 

lastmanstan

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:02:54 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.  Already checked the BBB ratings on the dealers I will be visiting, and I had not even looked at the D1 nautilus, just the Bay series which is why I thought it pricey, but will add that to list too.  Good info on the foot dome, hadn't even considered that.  Will post again with what I find.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
Sounds like you know what you want in a tub and that's a plus.  I have a Marquis Epic and have been very pleased with it.  Water maintenance is straight forward and the tub mostly runs by itself.  As far as being cramped with legs touching - the only time we've experienced that is when there have been 5 or more adults soaking at one time and it's never been a problem.  There is a surprising amount of room in an Epic. Good luck with your search, you seem to be on the right track.
Bill

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 01:14:52 pm »
The Epic is an awesome spa, that's my personal favorite.  It's usually more in the 11-13K range but maybe you can find a deal on one.  The Euphoria is a good option if you want a little bit more seating and no Adirondack chair.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 05:44:05 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.  Already checked the BBB ratings on the dealers I will be visiting, and I had not even looked at the D1 nautilus, just the Bay series which is why I tho,ught it pricey, but will add that to list too.  Good info on the foot dome, hadn't even considered that.  Will post again with what I find.

This is why testing, even if it's dry but wet preferred, can tell you a lot. Listen to them run also. Noise level. Solid feel when you step in. Whats the bottom look like where it touches the floor. Does the top lip go over the siding and mate well. Are the controls where you can easily reach and see them. Look inside the equipment bay, if it's cluttered and messy move on. If it's neatly laid out and clean, look further.
Retired

meriflower

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 11:42:48 am »
There are some great choices in your list. I'm surprised you find D1 pricey. Should be able to have the Nautilus for under 10 grand easy. Get out there and start wet testing if possible. All of those tubs will feel different and one will stand out for you.

Ditto!

lastmanstan

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »
Went out to visit a few dealers in my area today. Felt very comfortable with the Caldera/D1 dealer, he seemed very straight up.  Really liked the Niagara, very deep tub and looked well-built, there was an offer on a floor model (dry - no wet testing had been done in it) for $9.2K pretax (inc. delivery a cover, and the obligatory chemical package), can anyone comment if that sounds like a fair price?

Then went on to the sundance dealer, huge showroom, not as personal a feel.  Had been considering the optima, but sounded like it would be out of my price range no matter what.  They did not have one in stock, but said they could get a constance.  I love the aesthetic of that tub, with the case coming up over the rim, but then think is that even important, whenever I'm looking at it from the outside it's going to have the cover on.  Anyway, the guy said in terms of quality/features it was midway between the Chelsee and the Optima.  MSRP was 11,119, but he sounded like he would go down to 10 or thereabouts with a step, cover, low-end cover lifter and of course the chems (again pretax).  Any thoughts on that price?

Finally hit up Marquis dealer, they had nothing on the floor - all out at a show, my fault, should have called ahead.  I don't know if it was because the sales staff were all at the show, but I did not get a good vibe from the guy left there.  He had a euphoria outside on the lot, but would not let me look at it as "the lot is all locked up".  I don't want to deal with someone who doesn't have top-notch customer service.  Is it worth going further afield to find a marquis dealer that is decent?

Going to try to get to Hot springs tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the comments.

richierich

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:57:33 pm »
I was looking at both the Sundance Optima and the Caldera Niagara at different dealers. Both are well built quality tubs of similar size. I was able to wet test the Caldera and liked it very much. Was quoted a price close to 11k out the door including cover, lifter, chems, steps, delivery and electrical panel. I wet tested a Sundance Cameo and did not like it so much due to the lay out of the tub since it had a lounge. The Optima was not available for wet testing but my wife and I sat in it dry. We both liked it and also considered the Chelsey. It came down to price so when the owner and I negotiated a price for the Optima he had dry in the showroom of 10k out the door including an extra filter and an extra clear ray bulb along with all the usual stuff, I went for the Optima. I would have been happy with the Niagara at 10k.

lastmanstan

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:14 pm »
Thanks Richie - good to know the comparable prices on those two.

Got a quote today for a Grandee for 9.8K, includes cover, lifter, chems, and the bluetooth stereo setup that HS are offering, but only available until end of month - should I jump on this?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 12:59:52 pm »
 Yes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
Thanks Richie - good to know the comparable prices on those two.

Got a quote today for a Grandee for 9.8K, includes cover, lifter, chems, and the bluetooth stereo setup that HS are offering, but only available until end of month - should I jump on this?

your doing your due diligence which is great, I will say that's a great price on a Grandee, and although myself personally would never spend extra money on a stereo, the free/included one with the subwoofer sounds pretty damn good, I'm jamming to it right now in the showroom  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42