What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi or HotSprings???  (Read 9645 times)

Trifecta

Jacuzzi or HotSprings???
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:41 am »
Hello All,

Been lurking here for a few weeks and researching as we've decided to take the spa plunge. Thanks for all the expert opinions and thanks in advance for weighing on my particular post!

First-timers in the Great Lakes region, family of 5, interested in quality most importantly. Will, but have not yet, gone to wet test, trying to narrow myself down a bit first. Size needs to be 5-6-7, not interested in lounge based on past use experience.

I'm between Jacuzzi and HS at two local dealers, both solid reputations and good experience so far. I believe, based on what I've learned, that comparison should be made as follows:

400 series to Highlife
300 series to Limelight

Here's what I've been given on the initial visits

Jacuzzi quotes include cover, lifter, step, chem starter kit, delivery
HS quotes include cover, chem starter kit, sub panel, delivery and ozone (added to the Pulse)
So for ballpark purposes, trade the panel for the step and lifter, I'm calling them equal give or take a few bucks...

J470 $10,500
J365 $7,500
Vanguard $11,300
Pulse $9,300

I did not haggle at all, but here are my initial impressions based on my visits and research.

There is likely room to negotitate at the HS dealer, while Jac seems to have gone right to a pretty good price. Important to note that I am a past customer of the Jac dealer for a pool, which may have helped the initial discussion. Nonetheless, I walked away from the first meeting, very impressed with the Jac product and price.

Looking for opinions: (Understanding the obvious missing piece is the results of the wet test)

1) If I got the Pulse down to the price of the J365, how would you rate the quality between the 2?
2) Same for the Vanguard vs. J470?
3) If Jac is the choice, I didn't see or hear a difference that would convince me to spend an additional $3k for the 470. Am I missing anything besides a few "features" that should give me pause?
4) I have a 2013 catalog and a 2014 flyer for Jac, the latter shows a J385 listed as "new?" What differences from 365 to 385? How much more $$ should I expect? From the flyer I can see that the 385 is a few inches larger, but the picutres look nearly identical.

Really appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

-Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi or HotSprings???
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:41 am »

Isaac-1

Re: Jacuzzi or HotSprings???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »
I am no hot tub expert, but do own products by both companies and can only say positive things about them.  I have 2 Jacuzzi brand bath tubs, both over 25 years old,  and while they are showing signs of age, both still work, and have never needed to be serviced since being installed.  I also recently bought my first hot tub, a used Hot Spring Jetsetter, it is a 1998 model,  and looks nearly brand new.  The wood work, yes wood, this was the last year of he real redwood cabinets, has a few small dings and scuffs, but the endurol shell is amazing, not a ding, or a scratch, or even the faintest hint of discoloraiton.  So far I have been very impressed by its build qaulity too, although some parts have been changed (heater is the new style, and I had to install a new style E5 circulation pump just after I bought it, and new Ozonator due to age alone).

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:53:33 pm »
Wet test is critical.  Do not expect Hot Spring to match price.  They might get close.  You are not comparing identical products.
Is the Vanguard 2014 or 2013 model?  Huge changes.  If 2013, you may have some room to negotiate.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »
Hello All,

Been lurking here for a few weeks and researching as we've decided to take the spa plunge. Thanks for all the expert opinions and thanks in advance for weighing on my particular post!

First-timers in the Great Lakes region, family of 5, interested in quality most importantly. Will, but have not yet, gone to wet test, trying to narrow myself down a bit first. Size needs to be 5-6-7, not interested in lounge based on past use experience.

I'm between Jacuzzi and HS at two local dealers, both solid reputations and good experience so far. I believe, based on what I've learned, that comparison should be made as follows:

400 series to Highlife
300 series to Limelight

Here's what I've been given on the initial visits

Jacuzzi quotes include cover, lifter, step, chem starter kit, delivery
HS quotes include cover, chem starter kit, sub panel, delivery and ozone (added to the Pulse)
So for ballpark purposes, trade the panel for the step and lifter, I'm calling them equal give or take a few bucks...

J470 $10,500
J365 $7,500
Vanguard $11,300
Pulse $9,300

I did not haggle at all, but here are my initial impressions based on my visits and research.

There is likely room to negotitate at the HS dealer, while Jac seems to have gone right to a pretty good price. Important to note that I am a past customer of the Jac dealer for a pool, which may have helped the initial discussion. Nonetheless, I walked away from the first meeting, very impressed with the Jac product and price.

Looking for opinions: (Understanding the obvious missing piece is the results of the wet test)

1) If I got the Pulse down to the price of the J365, how would you rate the quality between the 2?
2) Same for the Vanguard vs. J470?
3) If Jac is the choice, I didn't see or hear a difference that would convince me to spend an additional $3k for the 470. Am I missing anything besides a few "features" that should give me pause?
4) I have a 2013 catalog and a 2014 flyer for Jac, the latter shows a J385 listed as "new?" What differences from 365 to 385? How much more $$ should I expect? From the flyer I can see that the 385 is a few inches larger, but the picutres look nearly identical.

Really appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

-Mike

Bang for the buck the J-365 at that price is very good.   Compared to the Pulse, two divertor handls, higher flow circ pump. More filtration ClearRay std and  better jetting in my opinion, little smaller I believe, but not by much.  Is it a 2013, if that's the price for a 2014 even better..   Also not as many holes drilled into the shell for fancy lighting.    I also can and have compared the 300 to the Highlife series.  Other than having 4 or 5 filters what makes it different from the J-365 other than size and squirting water feature?       10,500 for the 470 is a decent price as well it's fancier than the 365 in looks and filtration with a few nicer jets and features.   But like mentioned for what you want to pay a wet test should be in order, have some fun with it!!  What we say as sales people doesn't dictate what and how the spa will fill to you..

Trifecta

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:42 pm »
Apprecaite the quick feedback...

Isaac, you hit the nail on the head as to why this is so difficult. Modest time spent leads consumers directly to these top brands and there probably isn't really a bad choice among them!

Dan, the Vanguard is a 2014.

Jim, I see your points on the features of the 365, when talking with the salesman it certainly felt like an incredible value by comparison having already visited the HS store. I also thought the same thing righy away about the Pulse and the lights. It really pops visually but more holes was exactly my thought. It is a 2014 by the way, which I didn't even think to compare the 2 until you asked that question. Looks like a few more jets from 13-14, are there any other notable differences?

I will continue down the road and stay connected here! As I do so a couple other quick ones...

1) It seems a light shell is the popular choice for seeing any dirt, better vision with the lighting, etc. But has anyone yet seen the new lighter blue in 2014 Jacuzzi? It seems like a much lighter option from the blues I've seen
2) What's the typical required clearance for the cover lift behind the tub?

-Mike

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:37:27 pm »
I can't believe what people are getting quoted for jacuzzis lately. I personally like the pulse a tad bit more but not almost 2k more. That price on the j365 is real good. Jim isn't that a pretty low price for that tub?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:39:50 am »
Wet test is critical.  Do not expect Hot Spring to match price.  They might get close.  You are not comparing identical products.
Is the Vanguard 2014 or 2013 model?  Huge changes.  If 2013, you may have some room to negotiate.

I was wondering about that. I was going to say I was offered $8900 on a Vanguard, but that was at the end of 2012. My how time flies.   To Trifecta, if  I missed you the first time, Welcome to the forum.  I could be happy with any of those tubs, I came close to buying the Vanguard, but I was a little more comfortable with the other dealer.   Use your indecision to your advantage.  Let them know your serious and have it down to two models and see if an additional offer develops.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:54 am »
I can't believe what people are getting quoted for jacuzzis lately. I personally like the pulse a tad bit more but not almost 2k more. That price on the j365 is real good. Jim isn't that a pretty low price for that tub?

not always the case of course but a lot of times its those pool companies pretending to be spa companies who need the cash in the winter blowing out whatever they have on their floor

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:59 am »
The new 2014 Vanguard is great tub.. It has all the new changes and looks but more than looks it has upped to comfort level as well by changing the lumbar support shape in the shell and jet placement. Wet tests are the key here because all too often people look at the Moto Massage jet and really don't quite get it or think it will do what it in fact does...I've had customers come in after purchasing a High life Grandee or like with a Moto Massage jet and say" I know you said the Moto Massage is great but that didn't even do it any justice" I honestly feel the same way every time I sit in my own!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42