What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: what to use for siding on tub frame that I am rebuilding?  (Read 18030 times)

Pers Onal

what to use for siding on tub frame that I am rebuilding?
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:48:52 pm »
I really like my 13 year old Hydro Spa, 76 x 80, and have decided to rebuild it.

When we put it up on it's side to redo the 2 x 6 decking boards underneath, the frame splayed out and part of the floor disintegrated, so am repairing the 1 x4 framing and beefing it up with an additional layer of treated 1 x 6 framing.

The cedar beaded board sections that were the previous siding of the hot tub are looking pretty ragged, and they won't fit with the increased size of framing. So, I'm going to replace them also.

What are people using to replace the siding? I've been trying to think of materials that will look good, be inexpensive and hold up to the moisture environment. Thought of using exterior treated plywood and the only products locally available look pretty rough and the sales rep said you were not supposed to stain. Thought I would stain it the same color or similar as deck.

My repair tech said he had seen all sorts of things put on the sides of tubs, and said he had seen vinyl siding look pretty good. My carpenter said that he thought vinyl siding wouldn't hold up well if we had to hunt a leak and stand it on it's side.

What other things might I consider to use for siding on the tub? Cost is a consideration, but is not an issue if within reason.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

what to use for siding on tub frame that I am rebuilding?
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:48:52 pm »

Pers Onal

Re: what to use for siding on tub frame that I am rebuilding?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:54:58 pm »
Shameless bump.

Hopefully can get some good material lined up while I have a carpenter on site completing other work.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:36:01 am »
Interesting question I don't think I've seen asked in my 10 years here. Good luck.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44:15 am »
T1-11 siding.
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:16 am »
Thanks guys.

part of the house is T1=11, so that may work well.

The pickets under the handrail are made of ripped 2x's

Around the tub area for a privacy screen I added 1 x 6's that fit in between, have an approximately 1/4" gap but looks great and is sufficient for privacy.

The carpenter suggested doing almost the same with vertical  1x6's, one screw top -one screw bottom, and ripping 1x6's to cover the gap in true board and batten style attaching with screws also.

Could remove screws where needed to access a pump, and could mount one side on a simple frame for main panel access.

I had wanted to use panels of treated plywood and stain same color as deck, panels jut seem easier to deal with.

Pers Onal

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:52:00 am »
Figured it out.

Attempting to explain what I'm looking at to you guys helped me come up with quick easy solution.

Had wanted to use treated plywood and stain it the same color as the deck, but the examples don't look real good, and one salesman said that his particular panel does not recommend stain

Now I think the best solution is to use exterior pylwood, OSB or treated, rip strips of treated two by and staple it to the panels in the same pattern as the 1 x 6's privacy part where the ripped portions make it match the screen, that will dress it up, take a stain.

That will look nice, and if I use OSB will dress it up nicely.

I'm thinking the OSB will hold up pretty well. Went by one of my wife's friends house last year. The guy had a shed out back covered in OSB that had no stain, paint, waterproofing or anything. After 8 years it was weathered, but looked fine. Would have looked better with paint, but I couldn't believe how well it held up to the weather.

When completed, I will post a pic or two.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 08:57:23 pm »
The only down side I see with not staining is the cut ends. And you will have a lot of them. Your first deterioration will start there unless you keep it dry. I would think you'll have better luck on your cuts with some kind of sealer/stain/oil/paint.
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »
Wasn't clear in my post/

Plan is to use OSB or plywood for panels, will treat sides and ends with thompson's water seal, then trim with ripped treated 2x6's.  Then several months later cover all with stain. Thompson's recommends waiting 45 days after treating to cover with latex paint. Interestingly, they only say to wait 6 days after oil based.

I figured if the OSB holds up so well with nothing, then water seal with stain on top should work well. Have to wait several months after putting the treated wood down to stain it.

FWIW, thinking about your post suggesting T1-11 and it matching another part of the house made me think of matching the panels to the rest of the privacy screen.

Appreciate the thoughts

Regards

Ken

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »
T1-11 would look way nicer than OSB, imo.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:03:30 pm »
Some of the new patterned OSB isn't bad. Wish it was thicker.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:03:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42