What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Preparing to prepare to purchase a hottub  (Read 14509 times)

Bluetobb

Preparing to prepare to purchase a hottub
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:05 am »
Quick intro. My name is Dan. My wife has always wanted a hot tub, we seek them out on vacations. I started poking around over the last week. I have read many posts here. We were thinking of spending 3 to 5k. In the last week my view has been spun 180 degrees. Things I learned.

- There is $1500 to $2000 extra cost.
     -Sand and portable pad
     -electrical (I live in DC I think I want 220)
     -movers if used
     -cover
-Anything that then fits in our budget is not quality and will give those results and probably will not last.

So I have begun to watch the used market to get a better picture of it. I have found a couple interesting Craigslist postings but they seem to miss all the details and no one gets back to me. I would like some feedback on what you think these are.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/4362022986.html Is this a HS Limelight Pulse? Any idea what year that is? Is that a fair price? This one would also come with a cover.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/hsh/4355530909.html I think this is an HS but not sure. It looks 10ish years old. Any feedback? None of these people get back to me. I am more trying to understand the scene that ready to purchase.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/4359296950.html Then there is the bottom of the market. I am handy but is something like this even worth it? Any idea of make, model and age?

Any other feedback or tips are greatly appreciated. I have read many of the top posts already.

Thanks
dan

Hot Tub Forum

Preparing to prepare to purchase a hottub
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:05 am »

red2play

Re: Preparing to prepare to purchase a hottub
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:16:32 am »
Ok, I'm only repeating what my salesperson told me but any warranties doesn't transfer so you could pay 3k and get a lemon.  That alone should be a HUGE discouragement.  Of course to confirm you can call Hot Springs.

The big thing about Warranties is that the parts are extremely expensive because they are proprietary.  A motor, a leak, etc can run you the cost of the tub.  I'd rather buy a 110 blowup tub than investing 3k in something that's off of craigslist.

Bluetobb

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:36 am »
I thought replacement parts were reasonably priced? The heater and the pack I thought you could go generic if it broke? The pumps were fairly standard? The Jets I thought were 50 to 100 for something being broken? When it comes to electronics it could get pricey maybe?

dunecritter

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:23:08 pm »
That pulse at that price is a steal....Its a 12K tub new and that model is very nice. I have no idea why someone would dump it at that price. Strange that they have it so over full in the pics tho. I wouldn't be afraid of the pulse...Not sure what the middle unit is but looks decent and that last one stay far away from IMHO. The warranty is only good to the original purchaser be aware. But your so far ahead of the game if you can get that pulse at that price.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:27:05 pm »
First is a Limelight, second is a D1, third is an older Tiger River. That's all you can get out of those pics along with the fact that they looked to be working when the picture was taken which could have been yesterday or 5 years ago. All are well known brands but condition is just as important as price and condition doesn't just mean how pretty it is. Buying used can be a good deal if the price is right AND the spa can be viewed in full operation (its dry around it, up to temp and you can turn the jets on/off). They'll surely have a cover  but it could be anywhere from fairly new to falling apart so take note and expect closer to the latter unless you get lucky. Look around for who might deliver used spas and get a quote if this is not something you are comfortable doing. In the end ad all that up and compare it to buying new. Sometimes you find gems on Craigslist if you can weed through the majority which are often not so hot.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Isaac-1

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:14:06 pm »
Deals can be found on used hot tubs, but it takes some searching, there is also junk out there, and scammers  to be ware of.  I bought my first hot tub off an ebay add a month or so ago for $1,000, it is a small Hot Spring Jetsetter (advertised as 3 person, but really more like 1 or 2).  The seller was an electrician that had bought it from a home owner who wanted it removed, he bought it with the intention of using it himself, but it sat in storage instead and he eventually decided to sell it.  Mine turned out to be older than advertised, it is a 1998 model, the seller thought it was about a 2009 model, but was not sure, overall it is in great shape for its age with VERY little use as it still had 1998 date code filters installed when I bought it.  This is a somewhat understandable mistake as this version of the Jetsetter was built from 1998 - 2008 with few changes.  Overall I have been happy with it, total cost in it is right around $1,600 at this point, this includes cost of driving 100 miles to pick up, wiring as it was missing its cord and GFCI plug (it is 120V 20 Amp, and I already had an outlet and concrete slab near where the top was going).  I also had to replace the circulation pump ($170), it ran but made noise and stopped working after about 24 hours, also I replaced the Ozonator simply due to age for about $100.  There are youtube videos that show you step by step how to do these basic maintenance items if you are a somewhat hand DIY type.  A couple ot other minor points have came up adding about another $60 in parts to be replaced, a couple of $10 spinner /directional jets that would not spin, and and a dirverter valve rebuild kit (O rings were brittle and water leaked out around the handle), all together these probably took 10 minutes to swap out.

After buying my tub before getting it up and running which took a couple of weeks due to the weather, I ended up spotting a number of deals online as I still had me hot tub search going in case mine turned out to be a paper weight or worse.  All were more expensive than my tub, but arguably as nice or nicer, depending on your needs.  This included a 1997 HS Sovergn for $1,200, very similar to mine, but one size larger, a 2005 HS Sovergn with some weathering also for $1,200, a 2008 HS Grande that spent its life under a canopy for $6,000 and most recently a 2013 Hot Spring Jetsetter for $3,000 (new price $6,500) just 20 miles away, this one sold within 4 days of being listed.

For online searching I would suggest looking at as many sources as possible, not just craigslist which around here seems dominated with dealer ads, also remeber to check out ebay, oodle, and some of the lesser, but sometimes regionally popular online sites like bookoo, etc.  Lastly don't discount used refurbs from dealers, these sometimes come with warranty coverage through the dealer. 

Bluetobb

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:44 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. The only to respond back was the $400 one and I am not really interested in it. If the pulse would have felt really good I may have moved my plans up but still no response.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:59:54 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. The only to respond back was the $400 one and I am not really interested in it. If the pulse would have felt really good I may have moved my plans up but still no response.

To each his own but what if it runs great and only needs to be sanded and restained to look good again? I wouldn't necessarily dismiss anything based on the year (age is relevant in hot tubs) just as you should never jump on one just because its fairly new.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Ryan VSO

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 02:03:24 pm »
I thought replacement parts were reasonably priced? The heater and the pack I thought you could go generic if it broke? The pumps were fairly standard? The Jets I thought were 50 to 100 for something being broken? When it comes to electronics it could get pricey maybe?

Anyone can fix a spa , you can watch youtube video to change a seal etc. The job of salesman is to scare you that way they can sell you a new one.  Jets cost between 20-40 $ , pump cost between 250-350 $ , pack cost between 300-450 $ , the only thing I would worry about is the shell condition , many custumers got ripped off buying leaking shell whithout knowing it .

Electrical cost :

Gfci = 100 $
Wiring = 4 $ / feet
Electrician = 100 $ / hours ( normally take 2 hours but budget 3 )
Spa mover = 350 $ when its local

road crush pad = 400 $
cement pad = 600-800 $

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:10 pm »
Bluetobb,
Are you a DIY kind of guy?
If you are, a good used tub will save you some bucks.
If not, I'd suggest that you spend the additional money and get yourself a new tub.

Isaac-1

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 02:21:33 pm »
Also if your shopping for a used tub, give it some time, check the listing multiple times per day, and be prepared to jump if a good deal shows up, but take a few minutes at least to reserach the brand or stick with known major top line companies, as well as inspect the tub before paying, preferably with water in it and running, unless it is a great price.

Ike

Bluetobb

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 04:35:16 pm »
I love DYI. I know I could run the electrical and I would have 3 years ago. Now I have a 3.5 and 2 yr old running my life. So $200 in electrician cost is pretty reasonable. So the most important thing is the shell... Check leaks, heat and pump. But shell is the one unfixable? That's what I am gathering.

Should I do the pad now in prep or is there to much variance in sizes? Right now for me to jump I would need a HS. If I had my pad in and electrical in I might start thinking about going with the first decent deal.

Again thanks,

So I have to ask the loaded question. What are good brands? I know Jacuzzi and Hot Springs.  Just top 5 no rank. There is a lot of no name junk out there, also lower quality stuff. I was into Costco but all the forums lead me to quality not big box.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 05:04:31 pm »
I love DYI. I know I could run the electrical and I would have 3 years ago. Now I have a 3.5 and 2 yr old running my life. So $200 in electrician cost is pretty reasonable. So the most important thing is the shell... Check leaks, heat and pump. But shell is the one unfixable? That's what I am gathering.

Should I do the pad now in prep or is there to much variance in sizes? Right now for me to jump I would need a HS. If I had my pad in and electrical in I might start thinking about going with the first decent deal.

Again thanks,

So I have to ask the loaded question. What are good brands? I know Jacuzzi and Hot Springs.  Just top 5 no rank. There is a lot of no name junk out there, also lower quality stuff. I was into Costco but all the forums lead me to quality not big box.

I would get an electrical quote before deciding what to do...I have a great electrician who does the majority of our spa "hookups" and average cost is $500-$800....that $200 is not even close to a realistic number if your factoring in time and materials from a licensed electrician

Isaac-1

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »
Each electrical install is different and rates for work vary considerably from location to location.  Having said that if you you plan on going ahead with the prep I would only take it as far as a 50 amp line with neutral ran from the main breaker panel to an empty box near, but greater than I think 6 ft from the  intended location of the hot tub as the exact breaker configuration needed after this point will depend on the tub you get.  Some Hot Spring's tubs for example require both a 2 pole 30 amp 240V GFCI breaker and a 1 pole 20 amp 120V breaker to be mounted in the box near the tub, there is also an NEC requirement for a 120V GFCI outlet to be near the tub (I forget the exact number of feet, but think it is not less than 6 but not over 10).  Other brands I think just require a 50 amp 240V 2 pole. 

As to pad size All but the very largest tubs have a footprint  less than 8'6" x 8'6" with a size of 7x7 to 8x8  being the most common, even my little "3" person Hot Spring Jetsetter has a footprint of 5'2" x 6'10" (the newer Jetsetters are even larger footprint at 5'5" x 7'0") so you can see not a lot of pad work separates a small "3 person" Jetsetter from a 7'7" x 8'4" 7 seat Grande

Ike

dunecritter

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »
To take it a step even further.....Some HS models (Including the advertised Pulse) require a 230V 30 amp 2 pole GFCI and a 230V 20 amp 2 pole GFCI.....And then we have the Gleam that can run a 70Amp system...one 30 amp and two 20 amp two pole GFCI breakers. I would agree that the electrical quote is low but the sub panels are given with HS products at time of purchase and at least they could allow you to have the subpanel with the whip attached with your purchase. That should help a bunch as the GFCI two pole breakers get a bit spendy!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42