What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tell me watcha think...  (Read 8987 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Tell me watcha think...
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:40:27 pm »
A couple came in 2 weeks ago and purchases a tub. They wanted a quick delivery but the only tub we had in stock in that model was a green acrylic. She was more interested in the sandstone.
I told her that we could order it and she'll have it in 3-4 weeks. She decided she wanted the green ASAP.

The day before delivery, I called to let her know that we had ordered the exact spa, in the color she wanted a couple of weeks ago for our stock. I asked if she would rather wait a week or so if she was questioning her decision to go with the green. She said he'll stick with the green. She did have family coming on the weekend and she wanted it Friday.

We do have a 30 day guarantee with every Beachcomber in that if you aren't 100% happy with the tub, we'll exchange it or refund your money. She is aware of this. I also spoke to her husband and he also confirmed that the green will be fine.

Friday we delivered their spa. I went out that afternoon and went through everything and got them up and running. They loved it.

Yesterday she called to say that she wants the sandstone. >:(  We gave her every opportunity to get what she wanted and now this... :-/

I know she wanted the spa for the weekend and that she felt she could switch it out for the one she wanted after that. Obviously, she's not admitting that but...

The tub that we have on order has since been sold (prior to getting here) so she would have to wait 3-4 weeks for her new one. I told her that there would be a $250.00 total charge for picking up her original tub, cleaning it and delivering her new one when it comes in. I also said that I will be picking up her tub in the next day or two so it can be cleaned and sold as a new tub still.

Do you think this is fair? As a dealer, what would you do? As a consumer, how would react to this? ???

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Tell me watcha think...
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:40:27 pm »

OnMedic

Re: Tell me watcha think...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:59:22 pm »
Steve,

Kudos to you for being committed to your customers, but don't sell yourself short on this one. If there was a more legitimate reason for the return, it would be one thing. I think your request for immediate return is reasonable, and the delivery charge is also fair.

Don't sweat this one. If they made the decision they did, the colour has to be seen as worth $250 to them! If it is worth anything, I would also see if keeping the green was worth a credit of a hundred or two.

Roborph

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 11:07:24 pm »
As a consumer, if there is a 30 day guarantee, with a full refund if not happy...that ends it! I would expect you to leave the tub there and replace it when the one I want comes in. No extra charges, no hassles.
However, I certainly see your point. They did to you exactly what you thought they were going to do to you.
I went in to a Hollywood video store the other day and visited their video game store. The employee told me if I bought a game system and bought their $20 no questions asked warranty, I should step on the system with one week to go in the 1 year warranty and get a new system (this system is for my 11 year old son btw).
Now this probably doesn't compare, but where I work, if you're not happy I'll make you happy. Happy customers come back and also tell their friends.
So that's my opinion from a consumer....

Roborph

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 11:21:52 pm »
 I'm sorry, but I also need to add that I've been in retail business since 5th grade. I think in this day and age, service is what matters. After all, there are alot of tubs out there and you need to make yourself stand out from the rest. I've read your posts and you seem like a good guy, so why not eat this one and hope this couple spreads your good deeds to others?

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 12:15:31 am »
Steve - You probably should have made her aware of the $250 charge and the process BEFORE the sale completed so that she had the opportunity to consider the details before she spent the weekend with it. I can see the comments between her and the family members that weekend..."Why did you buy a GREEN spa?...Well, it was in stock but I REALLY wanted the sandstone... And the nice man at the store SAID I could trade it out later if I changed my mind (at no cost in her mind)". IMHO I think you should not charge her any difference. However, you should pick up the green one as soon as you can (I'd recommend you use logic like... "I NEED it on the showroom floor for demo purposes" or "It's hard to sell it if it's in your yard for 30 days"). If she wants you to leave it there for 30 days and you agree that $250 is a fair market price for 30 days worth of Spa rental, then I would leave it for the price. You get all options covered this way and she gets to be the one to make the choice of spending the extra $'s or waiting...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 01:35:35 am »
Wow... all great answers you guys!

First off my medic friend:
The option of "a credit" of such is a good one. Thanks for commenting. I always enjoy your comments.

Robo: You make some great points and believe it or not, I agree completely. I'm a firm believer of a happy customer will tell 2 people and a pissed off one will tell 22. Point well taken.

Ahhh bunka. Kinda hit the nail on the head there bud :). A great afterthought that I should have done prior to delivery. I thought of that today actually...My bad...
I think I'm going to take all of the above and make this right.

Thanks again all. I really appreciate your input on this one!

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 01:40:44 am »
I think I'd try to make them pay the $250 but in the end I think you should cave if needed as much as they don't deserve it. I also think you should revise your return policy to continue to allow for switching of models  (either to upgrade or downgrade) but not for switching due to shell/siding color once the spa is delivered.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tubber

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 07:24:46 am »
I agree with Spatech, You've got to change your clause to upgrade the model in 30 days or less. The color choice was theirs to begin with. By taking immediate delivery they made the sacrifice in the color they really wanted. When we do blems or floor models people jump to save a buck. I always enforce the fact that they are going to have the tub for many years and some times sacrificing now will bring discomfort later.

Seems the best thing to do is bite the bullet now on this one. Maybe get a little something as you have to supply the labor for a swap to be made, and the fact that it technically is not a new tub now.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 07:38:06 am »
Ok, so I didn't have a chance to say that I feel you would do the right thing anyway.

In my opinion, all of the above.  I, though, would like to give this couple a piece of my mind.  They are the type of people who ruin it for others.  I can hear the conversation now, "So they have to come pick the tub up and clean it, big deal."  What they don't consider is your time, your crew's time, the liability, etc. not to mention depreciation.

I'm sorry there are people who are so inconsiderate.  Why not just get the one you want (color and everything) and be done with it.  Even if you have to wait a few more weeks, if they had waited this long, why not a few more weeks.

Just my thoughts!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

dhsherbert

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:03:26 am »
Steve,
I hope this isn't payback for the advise you gave me. :o It sounds like an ugly version of my story. Sorry, bud.

Doug

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 10:07:26 am »
Make them pay the $250 (it is only Canadian money :D) Steve if you can. It all depends on how your 30-day guarantee is written. I do believe in taking care of customers but these days way too many people think they deserve the world.

I am amazed when I go and fix a spa that is 6 months, 1 year out warranty and the people feel they should not have to pay. The most common statement I get is "it should not have broke".

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 11:03:56 am »
I think you are being very fair.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 11:21:59 am »
That's the answer. What they did was what people who buy too much house do. Rent the furniture for a weekend when the family is coming over. I'm sorry, but be sure when you are in my store that you are choosing the right one, ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

I think I'd try to make them pay the $250 but in the end I think you should cave if needed as much as they don't deserve it. I also think you should revise your return policy to continue to allow for switching of models  (either to upgrade or downgrade) but not for switching due to shell/siding color once the spa is delivered.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Pooldevil

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 11:22:51 am »
Steve
I can't believe you would change out a tub just on colour ...
I can go with Beachcomber on changing up to a better model if you are not happy with it when it arrives.
I am sure Keith Scott will be happy to reinburse your loss in time and money ... he should , after all it was his idea ! ::)
What colour do you think they would like next week ?
Sorry .....
No one here in the UK will back this policy ... there are too many takers and most of our tubs are craned in at a cost of around $1500.
Just don't get caught again ....

Rboehme

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 10:33:37 pm »
I think you did the right thing.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 10:33:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42