What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ready to buy  (Read 4714 times)

couchsitta

Ready to buy
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »
It seems like I've spent forever looking into different spas trying to decide which spa fit our family the best.  I started off looking at 4 person spas hoping to be around 4k. 

Spa journal day 1.  We started looking at Clearwater spas today, alas they didn't do wet tests, were reluctant to hold onto a spa till the spring, and the salesperson knew very little about her product.  Strike 1, 2, and 3.  Too bad, they were our closest dealer.

Spa journal day 3.  I talked to an Arctic spa dealer.  Starting at 8k they were outside our budget.

Spa journal day 5.  My six year old daughter and I tried the Dimension1 dealer.  They are only 15 minutes from us so I set up a wet test with their Journey model.  We liked the dealer, and were surprised that there were a few models we could afford through them.

Spa journal day 15.  My wife and I tried Hot Spring.  We wet tested the Bolt, and Sovereign.  The Bolt was okay, but the Sovereign was awesome! Loved the motto massage! Even with the lukewarm water it felt good.  But it too was above that 8k limit we had set for ourselves.

Spa journal day 16.  So after trying out Hot Spring we came to the conclusion that 1. We were going to have to spend more money to get a decent spa.  B. I wanted, no needed a lounge seat.  3. We were going to need something bigger than a four seater.

Spa journal day 17.  Sent a price quote request from the Jacuzzi dealer.  Still waiting...

Spa journal day 23.  The Vita spas dealer today.  I tried the Nuage.  Really liked the foot dome massager.  Other than that the only other impression I had was that the dealer/showroom was stuck in the 90's.

Spa journal day 24.  The whole family tried the Marquis dealer.  Was surprised at how expensive they were.  We could only fit a couple of E series tubs in our budget, and we didn't want to do that with just a two year warranty.  Plus we had difficulties figuring out the jets.  There was one seat we couldn't get the jets on.  Oh, and I know it wasn't their fault, but I found a piece of broken glass with my foot in the "changing room".  Just glad it was my foot and not my 21 month old son's foot.

Spa journal day 26.  Had a weird conversation with a dealer I thought was the LA Spas guy, turns out he sells Coleman and Shoreline???  Think I'll pass...

Spa journal day 27.  Still waiting for the Jacuzzi dealer...

Spa journal day 32.  Visited the Maax/California cooperage/Sundance dealer.  Guy was nice but a little slimy.  Changing room was actually very nice, and not telephone booth sized.  Tried the 481 and really liked the spa, from the foot therapy to the neck therapy zone.  Asked about Sundance, and he mentioned that they started selling them because they were a more recognizable name, but spent less than half the time talking about Sundance compared to Maax.

Spa journal day 35.  Still waiting for the Jacuzzi dealer...

Spa journal day 37.  Finally the last wet test.  Saw the Caldera dealer today to try the Martinique.  Really liked this spa.  The footwell has these anchor points to lock yourself in and crank the jets up.  The dealer had quoted me at 6,999 over the phone, but dropped the price to 6,2999 in person.  Must be my good looks discount...

So I'm down to four choices.  In this order... the Caldera Martinique at $6,299, the D1 Wayfarer at $6,549, the Maax 481 at $8,000 tax included, and the Vita Chateau at $7,700.  Only the D1 has less than a 5 year warranty.  What do you think?

Hot Tub Forum

Ready to buy
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »

dunecritter

Re: Ready to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »
Wow....you've done your research! Most people that care about quality and features such as yourself  seem to eventually decide that they need to up their budget.. Totally normal! ..A lot of people have it in their heads that they can get a GREAT loaded up quality tub that will feel great and be everything they ever wanted in that 4-5 thousand range....(Been watching too many paid advertising commercials)...But as you have found in your dedicated research...Real life shopping proves different...All hot tubs look and almost feel great as long as there is hot water with moving water for the most part to a newbie spa shopper...Not the scenario with a 2nd or third time spa owner that has been through the issues of warranty etc.. from a lesser dealer or small manufacture.. That person KNOWS what they want...You have done a great job so far couchsitta!!! My recommendation is buy from the best manufacture within the range of tubs you can afford and like the feel of... as long as your just as comfortable with the dealer just the same. That's the recipe to spa owner happiness and satisfaction! I sell HS By the way

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:14 pm »
The caldera has a 3 year warranty on components not 5. That model is from the paradise series. Out of those choices that's probably the tub I would go with. That price is real cheap he must be blowing that one out. What were you getting for prices on the marquis tubs?

couchsitta

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:37 pm »
Thanks Dune.

Unless the dealer was blowing smoke up my ars he said it was just changed from 3 to 5.  For the Marquis we considered the...

Resort $8,396
545 $7,595
425 $6,795... too small

couchsitta

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:10:13 pm »
Must've just changed. I'm guessing its a in stock tub you are looking at so just make sure that tub was made in 2014 and not 2013. That's weird pricing on the marquis line. That resort is priced about 2k what I sell it for and the 545 is a little higher then what I would sell for. I'm still shocked at that caldera price that is way below what that tub goes for locally around here

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:16:43 pm »
Actually looks like that warranty went into affect in 2013

couchsitta

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:23 pm »
The Resort was 25% off if I remember right.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:55:36 pm »
Couchsitta.....don't rule out the sundance cameo....the lounger is fantastic!!!!!  Sounds like you had some similar experiences as we did with sting bats working at dealerships!!!!!!  We tried the maax too and liked that one.....we couldn't find a lot of information on them and there was no negotiating on their price.  You were slot more thorough than we were but found 3 that we liked and decided that any one of them would be great for us and our sundance dealer was our final decision!!!!!  Good luck....you'll love whatever you end up with!!!!!

couchsitta

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »
Thanks Mud,

I put a deposit down on the Martinique.  It was hard picking one spa over another off the wet tests as no tub felt wrong.  It was hard to pass on the price.  Now I just need some snow to melt, which in Minnesota should take.... 2-3 months.  Oh well, just like Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part"!

dunecritter

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »
Congrats....tubbing is good stuff...glad to see your happy with your decision you made.

meriflower

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 12:01:12 am »
Congrats!   ;D 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 12:01:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42