What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just did my first water change  (Read 2943 times)

buzzsaw90

Just did my first water change
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:20:09 am »
Got the tub last September and finally had a day that wasn't freezing. Used silk balance for the first go round as it came with the tub. Now trying bromine in the spa frog to see which is better. Bromine sure will be cheaper.  I just ran a siphon hose to get the old water out. worked great and drained almost everything over 2 house (Cantabria tub). But as it drained, there were hundreds of small black particles that appeared that I had to clean out.

So I figure that either they had accumulated in the plumbing and came out as it drained, or the tub was supersaturated with stuff that precipitated as the tub cooled. Is this typical?

I think i'll try to do a July/November/March schedule for water changes to avoid the worst of winter here in Philly.

Hot Tub Forum

Just did my first water change
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:20:09 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Just did my first water change
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »
 I don't know much about silk balance, but did you drain it before you switched to bromine?   Might have something to do with the black stuff, just never heard of that before.  Dead skin type stuff, but never black.. 

buzzsaw90

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:35:34 pm »
I figured it out. We had snow melt and high winds yesterday. It was blowing shingle-bits off the roof into the tub. Went out this morning and there were a bunch more on the cover.

drain & switch, yes

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:35:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42