What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green water........  (Read 6043 times)

Mudheadsports

Green water........
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:26:20 pm »
Ok, we just went to get into the tub and it's cloudy green.  All the readings are within the normal range.....chlorine a little low.  We just added a bit  what else should we be checking?  Thsnx in advance for your help....

Hot Tub Forum

Green water........
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:26:20 pm »

rosewoodsteel

Re: Green water........
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »
This reminds me a bit of the last episode of the "Moonshiners", only they had a problem with blue "water". :)   

Mudheadsports

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »
Nice......not helpful.....not brewing shine in the tub!!!! Lol!!!!!

dunecritter

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »
Says who?   8)

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »
Sorry, I couldn't resist.  ;)

Mudheadsports

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:50:04 pm »
Great!!!!!  Lmk when I can help you out sometime!!!!!  I'll have your back for sure!!!!!

meriflower

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:55:33 pm »
I would question the sanitizer level.  Perhaps give it a good shock and rinse/clean your filters.  Also when filling the spa you did use metal & scale as a green color could indicate metals.  But since it's also cloudy usually indicates that the sanitizer is not able to keep up with bather load.

dunecritter

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 06:58:41 pm »
Maybee Chem Geek will chime in as he had a lot of good info regarding my water questions.

chem geek

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:39:53 am »
It could be algae though that usually doesn't occur much in tubs that are well covered to keep the sunlight out and at hot (104ºF) temperatures.  Is the tub always covered tightly with no light entering except when in use?  Has it been a while since you changed the water and are you using Dichlor (chlorinating granules) as your disinfectant?

If so, then the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level may have built up making chlorine less effective.  You can try shocking with chlorine (if you don't want to keep increasing the CYA level, then you can use bleach) and if that clears the water it was likely algae.  To avoid the buildup of CYA (if that is what is happening), you can look into the Dichlor-then-bleach method, but that requires some other things to be done to manage the spa (mostly lowering the TA level and using 50 ppm Borates usually from boric acid).

Of course, you can always just change the water if it's been a while since the last water change.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:42:01 am »
Thanx guys!!!!
The tub is new....just delivered in January.  There's just the two of us....although one dog says he should be able to go tubbin too!!!  Temp is 101...if we go up neither of us enjoy it...and there could be hot flashes too......yeah leave that one alone!!!!
We are using chlorine and the tub is covered except for when we see in it.  We also did use the metal and scale and also clarifier.  We are brand new to all of this....and this happened very quickly....two days...maybe it's been over chemmed......
Thanx again.

dunecritter

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 07:57:11 am »
Getting back to your original post, Is it possible that with the color of your interior shell and whatever surroundings that since the water is cloudy which my guess is simply in need of a good chlorine sanitizer shock dose it just appears to have a green color with contrast? I had a beige colored sand speckled  shell color on one of my tubs and once in awhile if I let the sanitizer drop too low it quickly became cloudy and had a greenish looking tint yet I don't think the water was actually green...does this make sense?? I would shock it with chlorine granules and usually within 24-48 hours my water was clean and clear to the eye.

chem geek

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 11:02:21 am »
If it's a brand new tub, then there may be greases and oils leftover and possibly biofilm.  If you are willing to change the water, then use either SeaKlear Spa System Flush or Ahh-Some for a thorough tub cleaning.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 06:54:19 pm »
Dunecrit
Water actually does have a green cast.  The interior is a swirly white/grey.  As far as outdoor surroundings.....it's totally white here!!!,  lol.
We do have iron in the water and hubby added chlorine.....I do remember that in college diving class....my hair turned a wonderful shade of green because of all the chlorine.....no I'm not doing a dunk test!!!!!
Thanx again all!!!!!,  will lyk if these work for us!!!

chem geek

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:07 pm »
Chlorine does not turn hair green.  Copper turns hair green and does so more readily when chlorine is present.  When you were diving, they may have been using a copper-based algaecide.  This paper describes what goes on to cause this.

Bob and Mary Alice

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:20:37 pm »
We just had the same thing happen to us.  Water was totally clear yesterday, yellowish/greenish today.  Also, the tub cut off after we'd been in it about 10 minutes (usually cuts off at 20 minutes).  Does this mean there's a short in it somewhere.  I think we'll try the flush that was recommended.  We've had our tub over 10 years, and this is the first time this has happened.  Thanks for any help you can give these newcomers.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:20:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42