What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: replace heater element and tube or just element  (Read 2579 times)

the boy raymond

replace heater element and tube or just element
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »
I am a little puzzled about replacing my Balboa heater. There is a warning on the heater which states that the element should not be removed and to do so will void its warranty. The Balboa web site has the same warning as well as saying that to do so can damage the circuit board. However- I have been informed by two hot tub suppliers that it is rubbish and that the element which is all they supply can be easily replaced with no problem. Who is correct please? Is the manufacturer only trying to make an extra buck? My hot tub is not under warranty. Do they mean the heater or the hot tub warranty or both? :-\

Hot Tub Forum

replace heater element and tube or just element
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: replace heater element and tube or just element
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:11:44 pm »
 Well doesn't really matter at this point since the heater has failed and you have no warranty anyway.   But yes you can just replace the element if your confident doing it.    Prolly lots YouTube videos showing you how.   Just make sure to get the right KW heater.    Also where the element attaches to the SS tube if it's really rusty and in bad shape you may want to replace the whole thing but it's not necessary.   

the boy raymond

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I feel my DIY skills are adequate enough to do the job. I will look for a video. There is no corrosion at the connections.Thanks again :)

dunecritter

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »
A buddy of mine replaced just his element on a balboa ss tube type twice in a year and he's very mechanical so I'm shocked it failed twice in a row....He finally replaced the entire unit at a higher cost but has had no issues since last year. Maybee overtightened or tweaked it a bit too much fitting it in??? who knows...just my buddies experience recently.

the boy raymond

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:38:13 am »
I found this video of replacing one with a pressure switch. Great care is required not to twist the posts or crack the epoxy. My heater has two sensors attached which would have to be removed before removing the element I understand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcoeN4WtlQg

This is a job I will have to do myself as I live in the west of Ireland and there are no service engineers within 120 miles.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:42:43 am by the boy raymond »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:38:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42