What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newb "dipping my toes in" so to speak  (Read 10641 times)

wormraper

Newb "dipping my toes in" so to speak
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:17 pm »
Ok guys. I've been researching Hot Tubs for the last week or so online and I know NOTHING about good brands. I'm one of those people that is willing to pay for quality construction, but I don't want all the bells and whistles, Personally I just want a hot tub that 4 (maybe 5 in a pinch) people can sit in comfortably Basically it'll mainly be myself and the wife, but every once in a while we'll have 1-3 friends over and we'll have 4 in a hot tub. I'll bullet point it down to for easier breakdown.

1. would like a reputable brand that will last
2. I don't care about stereos, LED lighting etc.. basic is JUST FINE for features
3. well insulated (or at least solidly insulated.. doesn't have to be a $12,000 tub)
4. I don't need a lounger, but if it comes with one it's no biggie (would actually slightly prefer one without one)
5. I can spend about $6000 max out the door.

as I said I've been researching everything I can,  but it's getting kind of frustrating since I get a lot of conflicting information. some say going $5,000-$6000 for a tub is fine, while other swear up and down that if you're going to spend the money get a Hot Springs, Sundance or the like and set a min of $9000-$10,000 for the tub.

my local dealers aren't FANTASTIC, but they do have a couple that has Sundance and Hot Springs, Arctic, and Coyote (supposedly made in the same factory as the Arctic) the rest carry Maxx, Freeflow, Elite, Viking, Baja, Hot spot, LA spas,  etc... (although costco does have the Aquaterra's and the Divine tubs, but I have no frame of reference for if they're good or not)..

two final questions. with $6000 as a max price I can realistically afford am I just wasting my money ??

and two.. are Hot tub dealers like mattress and car dealers? e.g. can I negotiate and wheedle them down a bit, or is it a static market with fixed prices?

sorry for the newbish questions, but I just want to figure out if I can get something that's not going to break down on me in a couple years since I'm just a blue collar type of guy

(oh and I do understand about the foundation and wiring, that's easy, I can just pour a 4 inch slab in my back yard and have my buddy who's an electrician wire it up to code)

if anyone else lives in the Tucson area and knows of any good dealers too, that would be helpful
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:15:20 pm by wormraper »

Hot Tub Forum

Newb "dipping my toes in" so to speak
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:17 pm »

Ryan VSO

Re: Newb "dipping my toes in" so to speak
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:34:09 pm »
Welcome on the forum .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:40:49 pm by Vortex Spas »

meriflower

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 02:32:16 am »
As you probably already noticed by researching online everyone has their own opinion about different spa brands.  I would recommend you wet test as many as you can that includes ones with loungers or not.  By shopping your local dealers and most importantly wet testing you will begin to form your own opinion and what you like and don't like.  Costco or online tubs you will not be able to wet test.  It appears you have quite a few dealers in and around Tucson to choose from.  Sorry I do not live nor have I ever been to AZ to know of any good dealers.

You can negotiate prices with spa dealers especially if they know you are serious about buying.  I just bought a new spa and I was able to work a deal being that it was a floor model also from last year.  Most spa brands carry less expensive models for instance Hot Spring Limelight or Hot Spot, Marquis e-series line to name a couple.  Perhaps something like that might work for you especially since you stated that basic is just fine and would still be getting a reputable brand.  I have previously owned Marquis and now Bullfrog which I highly recommend, they also offer 3 different series with their SportX models being the least expensive. 

As I said, go out there, and get to wet testing all different brands.  That is half the fun!  At first you feel a little awkward but after x amount of times is like who cares!  Hope this helps.  Good luck and happy spa shopping!

Pers Onal

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 03:19:03 am »
I think you can do what you want for 6,000.

FWIW, I think most people here at the forum would call my hydro-spa (no longer made) a middle of the road model and I have done very well with it for the last 13 years.

To some extent, it's all bell's and whistles once you get past hot water.

And, while mine really can get some pressure going and a turbulent surface with a lot of massage action - I often am in it without any of the pumps going and enjoy laying in it quietly.

A lounger seat is really nice if you go for long soaks.

And, last but not least - consider going smaller. Meaning, will you actually use the tub with another couple that often?

I'm in ours four or five days a week, my wife usually three or four. Frequently, one of us will be in without the other. I envisioned more social usage with other couples but it hasn't worked out that way more than a handful of times in the last 13 years. I am going to a smaller tub, which will be fine as long as it has two really comfortable positions.

We use it a lot, it just hasn't turned out that we use it with others.

Sometimes, house guests will use it but we don't go in with them.

Interestingly enough, other than my wife and I, the others that have used it the most are the two grandkids playing in it frequently. A usage I never originally planned for.

Without question do the wet testing. I think many dealers will negotiate, but not all.

wormraper

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:54:17 am »
ok, kewl, at least I have a reasonable price range.

yeah, bells and whistles are nice, but not necessary for me. some jets and a nice hot pool with enough seating is good enough for me.

I THOUGHT about going smaller, like a 3 person tub, but we DO entertain friends once or twice a week and hot tubbing was a big thing for our friends and us back when we had access to a neighborhood pool before we moved. so something that could fit 4 people would be the minimum

and yeah, I will definitely try to wet test.

I'm going over to the Arctic pool dealer later on and check out their prices. I live about 30 minutes away from most of the dealers (Tucson is REALLY spread out and I live on the north end of town where all the dealers are on the south end of town lol) so it's kind of annoying to have to go in and "talk price" because they don't ever post msrp or standard selling price on their websites.

off to the search now :D.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:23:25 am »
Hi,
We just went thru this....maax was the first spa we looked at...thought it was nice but couldn't find a lot of info online for them.  We found that there were many dealers that didn't know anything about their products.  Got a lot of help from people on the forum.  We ended up with a sundance and are loving it!!!!!!  It's been very cold out here but we've managed to get a soak in every day since it was delivered.  Good luck....you should get a lot of good advise here!!!!!  You can check out the still shopping post from me.....we found the advise very helpful!!!!!

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 08:13:27 pm »
Let us know what you think of the Artic.
I ordered an Artic Klondiker Legend a little bit ago and can't wait for the delivery.

Quickbeam

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:33:53 pm »
My wife and I are also just in the market for our first hot tub, and like you found it all a little overwhelming. We're still looking, but because of this forum at least now we are looking with at least a bit of knowledge. I'll echo what Mudheadsports said. This forum is invaluable. Some great, great advice on this forum. Good luck with your search!

wormraper

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:56:37 am »
Let us know what you think of the Artic.
I ordered an Artic Klondiker Legend a little bit ago and can't wait for the delivery.

will do, hopefully I can get over there in a few days. they're WAAAAAAAAAAAY across town

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:13 am »
I researched a lot of tubs in the $4-6k range when I bought.

List in the first post of this thread:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16022.0.html

Eventually went over budget, but definitely some decent choices sub $6k.

hkc

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:50 pm »
I did a ton of research as well. We bought a Sundance Edison in July and have used it nearly every day since. I'm thrilled with it. Perfect size for me and my husband, with space for a couple guests on occasion. We paid $6000. We didn't want anything too big on our deck and this was one of the smallest square models. We think it's perfect for us but as everyone will say- wet test. It makes all the difference. Also pay attention to depth. I found some too shallow, some too deep. this was just right for us. And since I'm in the northeast and we've had 40 inches of snow this season I'm glad I thought to make sure it's only a few steps from the door.

dunecritter

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »
I have personally owned a number of decent tubs....actually three of the very best in the industry based on reviews and company self worth. My first few buys were entry level tubs (La Spas and MAAX) To be honest with my personal experience....The La Spa was a flop for me and The MAAX actually held up very well in terms of still working and have only fixed 2 leaks along with one heater replacement, but its a 14 year old tub now and I still have it in one of my rental homes. The negatives were the poor jets and expensive operation cost...So much for the insulation hype! The worst part about those two was the Horrible water filtration and nightmare keeping the chemicals and water clean and clear. I finally splurged to a Sundance Optima...Nice tub but mine was personally a lemmon and at three years they replaced it under factory warranty with never ending issues and finally a shell cracking. Cost me a grand with shipping costs and delivery etc...I sold the home shortly after so who knows how it treated the new owners. Then 2 Jacuzzi's....No issues and liked them a lot but eventually bought a Hot Spring Vista which after 7 years I traded up to a Hot Spring Grandee recently with SAlt System. That's my ladder of ownership and it reflects on how I feel about the products as well. I really liked My Jacuzzi's and felt they were the best until I owned a HS Vista and Grande...That's my personal opinion based on a non techy angle based on ownership satisfaction, Comfort and reliability. Water care was most definitally the best with the 100% filtration system on HS and the Salt put it over the top in water care ease. I have never had this clear of water in a hot tub and I've owned tubs over 24 years. I think you can buy a tub at around 6-7 k range but stay high end is my opinion. Sundance is a high end spa maker and altho I had a lemmon...They did stand behind it every time it was down...Try a HS Jetsetter or a Prodigy...You might have to bump your budget just a smidge but trust me....Its worth it to stay high end just from water care, usage cost and reliability alone....Again...My Opinion only and I'm not a techy expert...Just a happy hot tubber and it sucks to fight your tub to keep clean and clear water! Wet test and test again just to clear your head as you will confuse yourself in this buying venture...Enjoy shopping!

Ryan VSO

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 11:37:03 am »
I have personally owned a number of decent tubs....actually three of the very best in the industry based on reviews and company self worth. My first few buys were entry level tubs (La Spas and MAAX) To be honest with my personal experience....The La Spa was a flop for me and The MAAX actually held up very well in terms of still working and have only fixed 2 leaks along with one heater replacement, but its a 14 year old tub now and I still have it in one of my rental homes. The negatives were the poor jets and expensive operation cost...So much for the insulation hype! The worst part about those two was the Horrible water filtration and nightmare keeping the chemicals and water clean and clear. I finally splurged to a Sundance Optima...Nice tub but mine was personally a lemmon and at three years they replaced it under factory warranty with never ending issues and finally a shell cracking. Cost me a grand with shipping costs and delivery etc...I sold the home shortly after so who knows how it treated the new owners. Then 2 Jacuzzi's....No issues and liked them a lot but eventually bought a Hot Spring Vista which after 7 years I traded up to a Hot Spring Grandee recently with SAlt System. That's my ladder of ownership and it reflects on how I feel about the products as well. I really liked My Jacuzzi's and felt they were the best until I owned a HS Vista and Grande...That's my personal opinion based on a non techy angle based on ownership satisfaction, Comfort and reliability. Water care was most definitally the best with the 100% filtration system on HS and the Salt put it over the top in water care ease. I have never had this clear of water in a hot tub and I've owned tubs over 24 years. I think you can buy a tub at around 6-7 k range but stay high end is my opinion. Sundance is a high end spa maker and altho I had a lemmon...They did stand behind it every time it was down...Try a HS Jetsetter or a Prodigy...You might have to bump your budget just a smidge but trust me....Its worth it to stay high end just from water care, usage cost and reliability alone....Again...My Opinion only and I'm not a techy expert...Just a happy hot tubber and it sucks to fight your tub to keep clean and clear water! Wet test and test again just to clear your head as you will confuse yourself in this buying venture...Enjoy shopping!

You are Actually the owner of deserthottub in Az and your name is Shayne Williams , according to your house picture and all the stuff you own , I would say that your magin is pretty good on the HS tubs you are selling . You should rename yourself HS Dunecritter ;) .

dunecritter

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 12:42:49 pm »
Ha ....I've replied to your post in another thread to find that you have posted this in like three threads....So I'll post it again Vortex.....YOU ARE....

Almost Correct...Actually owned by Jeff but I just joined forces with Jeff as I shut down my business of BBQ HUT this year...(Started it in 1999).Been Kinda rocky for BBQ's sales this past few years but yes  VORTEX....my business has been very good to me and I'm blessed! Thanks for noticing... But now that market is over....I'm sure all small business owners can relate! Jeff has become a great friend over the years as I sold him products that I manufactured for his hot tub stores for over 8 years now (Hence my first HS Vista)...Jeff came to me recently since I'm just trying to figure out whats next....He invited me to work with him and so as of 4 months ago I did! (Hence the new ACE Grandee!!!) SWEET BY THE WAY!! So your kinda right but not completely....I'm on the forums as a Consumer hot tuber...Not here to bash nor sell (HS wont sell online and so it isn't my intentions to promote online sales on a forum) ....Just to learn more and be involved and share my real life TRUE experiences as a hot tuber for myself and others...I've owned tubs for over 20 plus years and owned spas from La spas, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Coleman, and HS. ....Nothing I have posted is BS and nothing posted is bashing.... As a matter of fact I still own my Coleman in one of my rental homes  and one of my old Jacuzzis is now in my neighbors house! Sold my old house and left in the Sundance after it was replaced at 3 years old from Manufacture. Feel free to poke and Prod Vortex....View all my threads I've posted in...Its all the same and Its all the truth. And no....I'm not going to change my name to HS Dunecritter....That's not why I'm here like yourself...And that's ok that you are, but this is for me and I enjoy forums :o

Ryan VSO

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 01:08:32 pm »
Mate , you work for hot spring and I work for Vortex , I own myself a Vortex tub and I enjoy it probably as much as you do but it doesnt give me the right to post anything on it because I work for them just like you do ... simple as that 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 01:08:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42