What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Synthetic wood for decks  (Read 4813 times)

Newfish

Synthetic wood for decks
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:44:53 pm »
I think I will have to build a deck to place the hot tub on.  Does anyone have any thoughts about synthetic wood like Trex or something similar?

Do the spa chemicals damage the deck?

Hot Tub Forum

Synthetic wood for decks
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:44:53 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Synthetic wood for decks
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:57:26 am »
I have never seen spa water that was so strong when it was spilled that it would damage wood. Better work on your sanitation and balance if it does. Synthetic even less likely. Trex and the like is good stuff for a deck that you don't want to ever worry about. More expensive than wood and more difficult to install properly. Have seen a couple issues with some improperly supported deck boards becoming brittle in extreme cold and breaking. But wood would of likely broke also. You will like it if you go that route.
Retired

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »
I am just in the market for our first hot tub, so I can't really comment on how spa chemicals would affect a deck like this. But I did just build a new home and seriously considered the type of deck you are looking at. I would be very careful about Trex. You might want to google "Trex deck lawsuit" and "Trex deck reviews" before you buy any Trex product. We looked at number of different manufacturers and if I remember correctly there were composite products and some vinyl products we looked at, both with the wood look. I believe the vinyl products were more expensive but also seemed to have a better track record, although we read reviews of a couple of the products that were stained just from having rubber hoses or the rubber feet on lawn chairs, sit on them. In the end we did not use these products for our deck (we used concrete blocks and are very satisfied with it) but what I do remember from my search was that one of the most important things was to buy from a reputable company that would stand behind their product, and at that time at least, my research showed that Trex was not that kind of company.
I just looked at some old files I have and had we gone the route you are thinking of we were going to go with a Company called "Timber Tech". I don't remember if we had decided on using composite or vinyl. Please note as well that I have no affiliation with Timber Tech and really can't recommend their product as we did not go this route. What I do remember is that they seemed to be a good Company that stood behind their product. Hope this helps.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:28:14 am »
I would guess if you spilled it on the deck and left it there it might stain it but should be fine if you clean it up after it was spilled. I have had mine on a composite deck for over 6 years and have had no issues with either the tub or the chemicals effecting the deck. I love the fact that I get no spinters. With kids and a dog the only issue I have is scratches. I just have to power wash it once a year.
Here is a pic of my deck(same pic as my profile pic)

prior to staining railing and lattes
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:59:12 pm by H823Putt »

Newfish

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:20:48 pm »
Wow H823Putt, your deck looks beautiful.  What composite material did you use?

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:55 am »
It was called Portico. Was able to work it just like wood(cut, router, drill) just can not sand it. I wish I had the different options there are now when I built my deck.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:26:24 am by H823Putt »

Pers Onal

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:57:00 pm »
I think I will have to build a deck to place the hot tub on.

I would prefer synthetic to 5/4 deck boards. (most commonly used)

I would prefer 2 x 6 treated to synthetic.

I'm talking in terms of load carrying ability and durability.

A treated  2 x 6 will have an actual 1.5 inch thickness. 5/4 deck boards will be 1 inch actual thickness, and will look better with the rounded edge being more cosmetic.

I am replacing cedar deck boards on what is about 1400 square feet of decking that has been there for 24 years. We are a little more than half done at this time.

The only reason we replaced the 2 x 6's under the hot tub is so that they would match the new deck boards.

I will state that 2 x 6 decking boards are not commonly done today. At least not in my area of the southeast US.

Manager of one the major decking companies in the area told me that out of all of the hundreds or thousands of decks his co had done, only one was 2 x 6. Everything else was 5/4 deck boards.

I'm an old fart. I like the beef of 2 x6's and the look.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »
I'm an old guy to but about 2 inch reduction in C to C framing can make 5/4 as strong as 2 x 6 And I like the look of 5/4 better. Seems to be easier to clean with the same size gap. I have both.
Retired

clover

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:22:35 am »
First consider your climate, and then realize synthetic decks can be slippery, especially in the snow belt with winter conditions.

I am always very cautious walking across any deck because of ice, especially synthetic decks as the slip and fall potential is substantiall increased.  Consider slip and fall potential and liability.  If I fall flat on my back during service, is it my fault, or are you liable.

Last week it was 18° and there were spots of snow and ice on the surface of a synthetic deck.  I knew enough to be cautious, but my customer fell flat on his back with a very loud impact, hitting his head in the fall.  :o
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:22:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42