What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Salt water sanitation question  (Read 6052 times)

paulitzlee

Salt water sanitation question
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:41:56 am »
My wife and I are thinking of replacing our 30+ year old spa with a new one.

I have a simple (I hope) question:

Can any new spa be fitted with a salt water system, or the spa must be salt water compatible?  Can a system without a salt water system be retrofitted for it, or it must have the salt water system from the beginning?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Salt water sanitation question
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:41:56 am »

chem geek

Re: Salt water sanitation question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:29:18 am »
You can add a saltwater chlorine generator to a spa using a device such as the ControlOMatic TechniChlor.  It requires around 2000 ppm sodium chloride salt for chlorine generation (or around 3000 ppm sodium bromide salt for bromine generation).  You can see their instruction manual.  Such higher salt levels are more corrosive to metal so if the spa is designed with low quality stainless steel then it may corrode too quickly for this system to be used.  Some spa manufacturers may void their warranty if the salt (or TDS) level is too high.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:46 am »
From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of problems with the salt water systems.  I decided to stay clear of them.

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:00:11 pm »
From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of problems with the salt water systems.  I decided to stay clear of them.
+1

Definitely steer clear of the after market install.  If you want salt get it up front and make sure the manufacturer/dealer have the full responsibility.

I had a negative experience with after market salt, fortunately it was only superficial staining that I was able to clean up after the salt system was removed.

dunecritter

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:43:23 pm »
I recently replaced my Hot Spring Vista (Chlorine) with a new 2013 Hot Spring Grandee just so that I could have the ACE Salt system. My older Vista electronics were not compatible to operate the ACE Salt system. I've only had it less than half the year so far but It's Amazing to say the least. Water care is now extremely simple.  I still have to add PH down to balance my water but everything else stays balanced. Don't know about aftermarket systems at all but the ACE System is a factory HS product designed and warrantied for use with the Limelight and Highlife model tubs. So far you couldn't tell me anything negative about the ACE salt system that I would believe with my exceptional experience thus far. But like everything....time will tell all. Just to add...I have NEVER had this clean and clear of water in any of my hot tubs!

Isaac-1

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
Just to put things in perspective here your talking about around 5-10 pounds of salt depending on the size of the tub and how much salt there already is in your fill water.  (The EPA allows up to 500 ppm TDS in drinking water, which typically would primarily be salt, and considers over 1,000 unfit for human consumption, a quick google search revealed municipal water reports showing slightly over 500 ppm salt to be somewhat common)

dunecritter

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:39:53 pm »
I had to use 5 lbs of salt in my 500 gallon Grandee, The instructions show 6 lbs but I obviously must have a high ppm of salt in my fill water. The Salt is $19 bucks but the water is lasting longer so far.....probably a wash in my opinion...Water vs salt cost, but its a lot better not having to add chlorine after every use and shock once a week not to mention change my water every 3 months using the traditional chlorine setup.

Isaac-1

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »
If your not using one of the mineral salt systems, you should be able to use common household salt with no additives, at a cost of well under 50 cents per pound in small containers

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:00:46 pm »
Great Info! I'm not sure what type of salt that HS sells but the 6 lb container says freshwater spa salt designed for the ACE system...Sodium Chloride 99.9%. ??? Special stuff??  I know its fairly large granuals vs table salt...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:40:28 pm »
Great Info! I'm not sure what type of salt that HS sells but the 6 lb container says freshwater spa salt designed for the ACE system...Sodium Chloride 99.9%. ??? Special stuff??  I know its fairly large granuals vs table salt...
Do not use table salt.  Stick to 99.9% pure.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

dunecritter

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:54 pm »
Got it Dan! Thx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42