What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need help on price for Jacuuzi j-375  (Read 8900 times)

swinging4us

Need help on price for Jacuuzi j-375
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:19 am »
We've been shopping for tubs and really like the looks and reviews of the j 375 but.. When we went into the dealer and went through his sales spill he said he could get us in one with steps, cover, lifter and delivery for 10,500. We thought overpriced. Well my son did an online request and got a call back the next morning and the same guy (who had no clue he was talking to my son) said if he would come in they could get him one ordered fir 10,000. I believe the 10,000 was to get him in the door to negotiate a deal. Don't understand the logic of quoting a cheaper price on the phone. A couple of days later I called the sales manager (his boss) and I had been in the store when she wasn't there and had been given info on the j 375. I told her I was ready to buy/order, had a prescription for tax purposes, and had a cement guy and electrician ready for the job. I told her I would give her 8,500-9,000 for the tub. After researching I really believe the dealer pays around 7,000 give or take a few hundred. She acted insulted. And said there was no way you could buy that tub that cheap even after I told her about my research. I don't mind paying 20% but won't pay 40%. This is a full service pool dealer and makes plenty of money other ways I believe. We live in the 6th biggest metro area in the US so I think they probably turn more spas than a lot of smaller market places. Long story short.. Is the j 375 a $10,000 tub or is it closer to the $8,500 I believe it to be worth. This is my favorite tub based on looks and reviews although we have not sat in one or wet tested. Thanks for any info or opinions. 

Hot Tub Forum

Need help on price for Jacuuzi j-375
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:19 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Need help on price for Jacuuzi j-375
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:33:05 am »
I'm a frugal shopper. I would continue to negotiate to see where you can get them. They may not go as low as 8 grand but maybe 9000-9500 they have to make a couple grand to offer you service after the sale and delivery and set up.
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:52:07 am »
I don't mind paying 20% but won't pay 40%. This is a full service pool dealer and makes plenty of money other ways I believe.
I would suggest you continue to negotiate also.

As a practical matter, I would be surprised if an individually owned bricks and mortar operation could survive with only a 20% profit margin, or a 30% profit margin for that matter. You make think the dealer is making money hand over fist when in fact he may be on the verge of bankruptcy. He may be doing very well, or he may be barely making ends meet. If you have not operated bricks and mortar operations previously you may have no idea of the costs for overhead such as rent, payroll, payroll taxes, etc. The list is long and it all adds up and hits your bottom line.

It is my understanding that Jacuzzi is a premium, top line spa. Premium level, top line units in most fields are rarely discounted very much.

The game playing with various pricing and come-ons, to get you in the door and then jack up the price with add-ons is BS in my opinion.

Regardless of all that, no matter how much it seemed to me my needs - there is no way that I would put 8 or 9 grand in a tub without wet testing it and several other closely priced comparables.

Suggest you do a bit of wet testing, and just figure the price is the price.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:56:38 am by Pers Onal »

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:05:56 am »
.... had a prescription for tax purposes....

Was it difficult to get the prescription?   I assume you are using your flexible spending account funds.   

swinging4us

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 09:39:05 am »
This dealer has been in our market for 35+ yrs so I believe them to be doing quite well with two stores. I don't mind them making a couple of thousand but that's about all I can stomach. Their pool business is the main driver for their business so I believe that something in the neighborhood of 20% should be fine for a tub. I do understand the costs of running a business and know that 20-40% is pretty standard depending on the product. I also believe they move a lot of product in our very large market and that should drive down their buying cost. I would probably go to around $9000 but believe that would be it. They also do concrete and the electrical and quoted me over double the price of a local contractor I know,  so I'm skeptical of the two different quotes we received. Any info anyone else has on the cost of this tub is VERY much appreciated.

Also we live in the state of Tx. In our state if you have a prescription from your doctor or a chiropractor for a "hot tub for hydrotherapy" you don't have to pay sales tax. Sales tax here is 8.25-8.5% so that's a considerable savings on $8500-10000. No flex health acct just the sales tax savings. I believe though if you walk into/talk to a dealer with your prescription that should show them you mean business and I'm not the type for a whole lot of negotiation.   

Thanks for the replies and help.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 01:42:01 pm »
  The J-375 is a great spa, if its a 2104  10,000 is a fair price with lift and what not.. If it's a 2013 I would go lower as there have been changes to the 2014 mdls..   Not huge changes but some in the control and the shell..   9 to 9500 for a 2013 would be more in line..

Ryan VSO

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 02:46:13 pm »
this tub is on sale at 8795 $ over here , cover lifter and gfci included . the dealer who sell jacuzzi is a really big one so he might have better pricing than the dealer in you area . 9000-9500 seems to be a decent price .

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:49:26 pm »
Just for the sake of the argument lets say the dealer pays 7k and you want it for 8500. The steps and cover lifter cost extra. Say another 400. Now the dealer is down to a 1100 profit. Now he has to pay his guys to deliver and set up. Say that costs 300 on the conservative side. The dealer is down to 800. Now he has to provide support for the next 5 years and warranty the tub which us dealers get paid very little to do. Do you think that's worth a profit of only $800?  I understand you want to get the best price but if the dealer isn't making enough along the way his doors want be open much longer

swinging4us

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19:55 pm »
Gotcha Hottubguy. I've seen it sold for $8500 and think that's a great deal. I really feel like it should be in the low 9k range. I just really don't want to be taken advantage of. Know people that have been. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the piece of mind that Jacuzzi would bring. Looked/wet tested a Hot Springs Aria and Grande today. Thought the Aria a little expensive and just didn't have exactly the kinda of layout we wanted. Loved the lounger and the motto massage. Looked at and really liked the Hot Spot Tempo. Due to dealer restrictions could not wet test. We like the layout of the tub and how the seats felt dry. Priced 1700 lower. But we feel the j-375 has a better cover, better warranty, better financing,  a few extra features that the Hot Spot didn't have. I think we feel the J-375 is prob worth the 1700. The HS Aria was not work 2000 more than the j-375 though in our opinion.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming please. The Jacuzzi guy was out of town today and won't be back for a few days. So nothing set in stone yet.  Might have pulled the trigger if he would've been working today though.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:29:03 pm »
You also say you live in a bigger city so rents are probably more which in turn is more overhead. It's not really comparing apples to apples by saying you saw someone get that tub for x amount and that's what you want it for.  If the aria us going for that much more then the that maybe what the prices are in your area. It also doesn't hurt to show up with your checkbook at the store to show the company you are serious. If there is room to move on the price that's when you will find out because that shows them that you are serious. Good luck in your negotiations

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:34:19 am »
  Please do not compare a J-375 to a hot spot series spa, not even in the same ball park!    I wrote one up today for 10,000 with lift steps and 50'  electrical.   

swinging4us

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:33:38 pm »
Kinda what we felt too. Liked the layout of the Hot Spot,not much different from the j-375 but for only 1700 difference I think the Jacuzzi wins hands down just based on better cover, warrant, we feel better parts, better cabinet. plus the HS was a 13 model and j375 a 14 model. I really appreciate everyone's input and its helping us make the decision. Just waiting on the Jacuzzi guy to get into town. Want to try to get it for 9500 but we've decided to go to 10000 and maybe try to get some extra chemicals or store credit if they won't come down below 10k. Thanks again. Just didn't want to get screwed on a 10k toy. 

Mudheadsports

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:00:05 pm »
We were quoted 9200.00 for the 475 model....2013 model...with stereo....ended up with a sundance......good luck and negotiate, negotiate, negotiate......also got a deal on a separate towel rack for outside!!!!!  And mineral blocks thrown in and discounts on aromatherapy........

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:00:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42