What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Cameo on 50 amp Service???  (Read 11350 times)

Mudheadsports

Re: Sundance Cameo on 50 amp Service???
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 05:30:28 pm »
Thanx clover!!!!!  We appreciate any tips we can get!!!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 05:30:28 pm »

kurt6137

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:34:26 am »
I work in the electrical field, I would recommend going with the 60a, I had the cameo and thats what i had installed, my total installation cost was 600 dollars, well worth, me not having to do it and i live in upstate NY. I personally would want the heater to work, while i have 2 pumps going, which is exactly what the cameo has. Although, I would look in the installation manual, it may require the same wire gauge and all that would be needed is to change the breaker (GFI) of course, but each state has its own electrical codes, so that is why the electrician, probably wanted to rewire, but even so, it shouldn't be that expensive to wire a tub, there really is not too much to it, if you follow the wiring diagram provided by the manufacturer. Of course, if you do it yourself, you will have to have a Master Electrician, sign off on it.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 09:49:15 am »
..... if you do it yourself, you will have to have a Master Electrician, sign off on it.

:)

Pers Onal

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:53 am »
This can be a pretty complex question.

Whether or not you can do it satisfactorily or not depends a good bit on ambient temp, and your usage.

However, whether it can be done safely or not ( with a reasonable safety margin ) depends on gauge of the wire, length of the run and duty cycle.

I suggest you determine the gauge of the wire ( by calling the electrician or verifying for your self by pulling panel cover) estimate the length of the run, get the amperage you will be drawing when wired for 50 amp operation. Do the calculations, and remain within 75% of the load carrying capability of the circuit, particularly for this type of usage.

Undersized (by load carrying capability ) circuits have a way of becoming safety issues, or repair issues when some the various things that can happen do. Such as, loose connection, rodent or pest interference, stray whatever, stuff does happen.

I have never had an oversized wire where I wished I had put something smaller in. I have any number of times gone back and rewired wishing the original electrician had used a larger gauge.

https://www.icmag.com/modules/Tutorials/ElectricalSafety/1655.htm

Short version - if he used 8 gauge wire on the original install, I would want to eventually change it out for #6 anyhow.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 01:22:30 pm »
So the gauge of the wire will also determine the amps available for the unit?  We just had ours installed....totally enjoying but did notice that the heater is not running with both pumps.  We are calling the electrician tomorrow!!!!!  We are supposed to have 60 amp and are now questioning what he did.....we'll see tomorrow....

geprice

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 01:30:24 pm »
The 50 to 60 amp matter would be more than wire ga & breaker.  The controller would need configured via logic / wiring to either toggle a motor off for a heater on or know the incoming capacity is sufficient for both to run at the same time.

Added later
On pg 15 of the manual:
Table No. 1
POWER SUPPLY OPTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Sundance hot tubs are designed to provide optimum performance and flexibility
of use when connected to the maximum electrical service as listed
below. However, they are shipped configured for the most commonly preferred
electrical connection -- 50A, 240V*
If you prefer, your Sundance dealer can perform a minor circuit board modification
to allow the hot tub to accept different electrical service. The operational
considerations of these modifications are listed in the footnotes below.

CAMEO, OPTIMA, MARIN and ALTAMAR MODELS
240V/30A** 240V/50A* 240V/60A***
Voltage 240 volts 240 volts 240 volts
Current Draw 24 amps 40 amps 48 amps
Number of Wires Three Three Three
Circuit Breaker 30A dual pole 50A dual pole 60A dual pole

* In 50A configuration, the heater will not operate while both pumps are
operating at high speed. Note: pump 2 runs only in high speed.
** In 30A configuration, the heater will not operate while either pump is
running in high speed or if the air blower is running. Note: pump 2 runs
only in high speed.
*** In 60A configuration, the heater will operate at the same time as the
high speed of both pumps and the air blower. Note: Not applicable for
1-pump Capri models.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:40:14 pm by geprice »

clover

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 02:20:08 pm »
Keep this thought in mind, why does a manufacturer offer multiple configurations?  Answer, because every homeowner electrical situation is different.

Understandably, many existing homes may have a limited capacity in their electrical service, thus able to use only what is available, as it is recommended by their electrician.  Their only other option is to upgrade the household electric which could cause the situation to become rather expensive.

Secondly, Hot Tubs have been utilizing 50 amp service almost from the beginning of the 70's and 80"s, and is the most commonly utilized configuration.

However, with the advent of more jets, more power, and more options, a 50 amp circuit is challenged, and 60 would be better.

Knowing this at the front end gives the consumer time to consider how they will use the hot Tub.  As they learn from the dealer, and/or the electrican after referring to the homeowners manual, the decision to utilize the 60 amp configuration is a choice that will increase the electrical cost of installation marginally.  On the other hand, to consider this after the installation can make that decision to utilize the 60 amp configuration a costly matter.

The only thing we are dealing with her is the question in the mind of the consumer, am I better off one way or the other.  The majority of answers will favor the 50 amp configuration to be completely acceptable, but given the choice ahead of implementing the decision gives one the freedom of choice, and for some manufacturers an advantage over other Hot Tub choices that do not offer that option.

To debate the situation, is to question full foam, or the use of ozone, everyone is going to have a differing opinion causing conflict in the mind of the consumer.

Do your homework in advance, understand your choices, make your selection, AND GET INTO HOT WATER. You're going to love that decision more than the other questions that conflict the decision making process. 

What ever you do, whether you use 30 amp, 50 amp, or 60 amp, chances are, you will never regret the decision of getting the Hot Tub, and you will unlikely ever notice the difference between 50 amp service and 60.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 06:33:21 pm »
Vy much enjoying our tub....probably heading out again tonight.....10 degrees out!!!!!!

Mudheadsports

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:55 pm »
Something else we just found out about the sundance cameo....there is a pin that has to be entered to make the unit able to run both pumps and the heater all at once....the dealer tech will be calling later to walk us thru it.....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42