What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cold Weather Means Power Outages  (Read 5196 times)

dagboi

Cold Weather Means Power Outages
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:08:19 pm »
Just curious what people do to prepare for the inevitable power outage this time of year.

I was sitting in my 100 degree spa the other night, the outdoor temp was -1 which got me to thinking.  We have frequent outages here but they typically only last an hour or so.  A few years ago however, my power was out for 7 days!  Luckily I did not have the spa back then.

I assume the water will stay above 32 degrees for a period of time, but no way for 7 days.

Any ideas on being prepared?

Hot Tub Forum

Cold Weather Means Power Outages
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:08:19 pm »

brillskill

Re: Cold Weather Means Power Outages
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:18:59 pm »
a generator..in oct of 2012 we had a major storm (sandy) hit longisland..at that time i had one of those friction heat 110 volt tubs..my generator connects to my panel via an inlet plug outside,than i have something called an interlock switch whitch simply switches the power coming in from my utility company to the generator..we had no power for 16 days i set the thermostat to 75 during that time and my 8500 kw generator powerd most of my house and the tub

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »
With most spas, the main body of the water isn't an issue. With the cover on, it would take WEEKS for it to freeze. The concern is the water in the plumbing outside the tubs, and even more at issue the water in the equipment area, which is minimally, or completely uninsulated. Simply putting a blanket over the equipment door, and putting a 60 - 100 watt incandescent drop light in the equipment compartment will generate enough warmth to keep things from freezing. Course, you need a generator to run the light.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:30:32 pm »
I have found that here in Northern Minnesota power outages happen in the spring and fall when ice is more likely. The temps then are in the 30-40's a tub can go for a long time when it's 30-40 with a simple trouble light.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:41 pm »
I'd be willing to bet that when in the mid/high 30's, to 40's, you could go indefinitely without risk of freezing.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

brillskill

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:10:02 pm »
I'd pretty much bet the farm that if it's above 32 degrees the tub won't freeze:):):)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »
What I meant was...smart asses...LOL If it's in the 20's it snows. Snow doesn't bring down power lines. When it's 30-35 it can rain/freeze, ice brings down power lines.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »
I understand what you mean, Tman.
But, a few years ago, we had freezing rain that knocked out our power for 6 days.   After the rain finished, the temperature dropped into the high teens and twenties and stayed there through out the outage.    This was before I had my generator.   The old tub was winterized at the time, so there were no problems.
It was a tough 6 days without the wood stove blower going and with the well pump down.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 07:29:09 pm »
Ever see those heat fans that don't need power.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 06:34:21 pm »
Ever see those heat fans that don't need power.

No.  what's up with those?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 08:13:12 am »
Thanks for the link, Tman.   Interesting concept.   I wonder how long the fan will last?  Do you know anybody that has purchased one?    Before I got my generator, I really could have used this after the ice storm outage. :)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:18:06 am »
Yea a friend has one, I have seen them working. While it's not a big blast of air you can feel it moving 15 feet from the stove. But no one should expect it to move air around their house. Just off the stove. Likely last forever. No motor
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:18:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42