What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please help sun dance optima  (Read 4114 times)

Dmrobida

Please help sun dance optima
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:11 pm »
2003 optima with pop up speakers in need of a new cover.  Is there a difference in the cover dimensions for this model with or without the pop up speakers?  Some website are charging 50$ for a cover with pop ups, but others do not.  Does anyone know the deal.  Appreciate any info. Thanx,

Hot Tub Forum

Please help sun dance optima
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:11 pm »

Mudheadsports

Re: Please help sun dance optima
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:20:24 pm »
have you had your tub for long?  We are taking delivery of a sundance cameo next Tuesday.....how has it held up?  Interested in knowing....thanx

Dmrobida

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:11:15 pm »
11 years,  I just tore the whole thing down and reframed it with new pressure treated, added insulation . Sealed all gaps, etc.  now need a new cover.  It should have been rebuilt a couple years ago, we have had mice get in there and really destroyed the insulation.  So our heating bill had been climbing the last couple years.  Otherwise it has held up well, but overall it's one big pain in the ---

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:17 pm »
The extra cost is for the trouble of having to make the pockets that sit on top of the speakers.

clover

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:22:15 pm »
2003 optima with pop up speakers in need of a new cover.  Is there a difference in the cover dimensions for this model with or without the pop up speakers?  Some website are charging 50$ for a cover with pop ups, but others do not.  Does anyone know the deal.  Appreciate any info. Thanx,
Suggest you consider calling Sunstar Covers and inquire about Sundance Optima Stereo Cover, with all of the options.  It is what your original cover was.  If you focus on price, you will get what you pay for. if you replace it as the original cover was made, it will last longer.  Again, you will get only what you pay for, and better quality is not always visible to the naked eye, but a double wrap heat seal should be seriously considered. 
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:58:39 am »

$50 extra for a cover that accommodates speakers sounds reasonable to me.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:02:58 am »
If they are pop up speakers, do you have to account for them if the retract flush?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

clover

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 03:01:38 pm »
If they are pop up speakers, do you have to account for them if the retract flush?
The retract is not flush.  The cover is made with a cutout indent in the foam, and the application of a piece of vinyl allowing the cover to seal at the lip of the shell. 

In its absence, the cover will come in contact with the speaker which represents approx ½” bump at the surface of the shell causing the cover to not come in contact with the lip of the shell affecting the seal.  Additionally, the speaker lock will release because of the contact allowing it to pop up when the cover is open.

Another reason why covers are custom made to a particular spa, and often overlooked or disregarded when ordering a cover on the internet.  It is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot.  Again, you get what you pay for.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:55 pm »
Question, when you said overall a pia......what does that mean?  Are you not using it like you thought?  Or just the rebuild a pia.....

Dmrobida

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:36:50 pm »
Thanx for the info guys, I called a couple places and finally ordered one with double wrap, continuous hinge, 2 lb density and a new lift for 525$, about what we expected to spend. 
Yes the rebuild was a pain, but overall, it's a lot of money to heat, chemicals, and time spent for its care.  We only use it barely once a month, so I'm kinda on the fence about keeping it.  My wife wants to keep it.  So I guess there it will remain...
I think we should drain it  December thru February , when it's not used at all.  But again, I hit the wall with the wife.  I'm gonna watch the heating bill this winter with new cover and rebuild and then make a decision
I'd rather have a new and larger tractor!

Mudheadsports

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 09:12:33 pm »
Hope we use ours more!!!!!  We used one on vacation everyday!!!!!  Planning on using it almost daily.....we'll see what happens!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 09:12:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42