What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hydro-Spa old and tired, looking at Coleman - suggestions for others?  (Read 5661 times)

Pers Onal

Our Hydro-Spa is now 13 years old, and when we turned it on it's side to redo the decking underneath - the sides got out of kilter when it came down. I also noticed a leak from a shut-off valve, slow but steady drip. I'm thinking that instead of spending the several hundred dollars spent to fix the leak, rebuild outside box with exterior grade plywood, paint same color as house, etc., that I might do better just to go ahead and get something more energy efficient, and smaller. The current one is supposedly 5 person, a 3 person (really a two person, IMO) is all we need.

One thing the hydro-spa had going for it was several rotating pulsating massage jets in the main seats. I have noticed a lot of tubs that don't have those.

The Coleman CO-534 L seems to be about the right sort of thing, I'm going to call around about wet-testing.

It doesn't bother me that Coleman licensed the name, it does bother me that apparently several different companies have had the license over time.

What say you about Coleman today?

What other suggestions might you have for a  three person tub that is no higher than 34"? (required to get tub thru door and house out to back deck)

Or should I just reframe with treated and insulation? All pumps and control pac, heater have been replaced, the tub doesn't leak and it's working well. If I wasn't looking at the reframing issue I would just keep the tub.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:52:14 pm by Pers Onal »

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Hydro-Spa old and tired, looking at Coleman - suggestions for others?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:32 pm »
I'm not a big Coleman fan. Your right they have changed hands and factories a bunch of times. Seems to me they are destined for mediocrity. The name is synonymous with reasonable quality camping gear. But it has never been high end.

That being said your old tub made 13 years and so your middle of the road or value type tub did good. Maybe not so bad for the money.
Retired

Mudheadsports

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:31:34 pm »
Amazon is selling Coleman spas.  Take a look there for pricing.....good luck

brillskill

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:57 pm »
Amazons Coleman's are cal spas ..no clue how that happened..

meriflower

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:41:00 pm »
It could be because Coleman Spas are made by the same company that makes CalSpas, LMS.

brillskill

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:02:37 am »
I think lms is just the drop shipper??

Pers Onal

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:12 am »
LMS is corporate parent, Cal Spas makes from my searching efforts. Thanks to you guys heading me in the right direction.

Did some searching and found that some folks don't think too well of the Cal spas.

Came across a video about Bullfrog and remembered someone on a thread here bought a bullfrog.

They seem well made.

Any comments on them?

brillskill

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:59 am »
i have a cal spa..ive owned only for 10 months..so far i love it..no issues and it was IMO A GREAT VALUE FOR WHAT I PAID..that being said if i was going for bells and whistles and my  budget was higher i wouldve probably went with a bull frog..i almost pulled the trigger on a bull frog that my local costco had but the calspa was less than half the price ...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27:35 am »
"Coleman" is a licensed name. Coleman corporation licenses, or sells the rights to use their name, to the highest bidder. The same as Lay-z-boy does. What this means is there's added cost to the consumer just for the buying/owning of a spa with the well known, "value added", "brand name". Unfortunately, historically, having this type of brand name has never been an indication of actual quality. In fact, in order to stay price competitive, the added cost of the licensed branding needs to be off-set by cutting costs somewhere else.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

meriflower

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:37:58 pm »
Hi I am the person who recently purchased a Bullfrog R6L model.  Got it up and running last Wednesday and so far am loving it.  I did post some pics in the "Show Us Your Hot Tub" section on this forum.  We wet tested several different brands and found Bullfrog was the best for us in terms of therapy, versatility, ease of use.  Hopefully you have a dealer near you that you can go and wet test to see if you like them or not.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:02:56 pm »
We are getting a sundance delivered tomorrow.  There were some great year end deals going on!!!!,  you may still be able to find some around.....will lyk how we like it after it's all wired!!!!!  Looked sting bullfrog but had a bad dealer....good luck on your search!!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:02:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42