What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: So what's the coldest outdoor temp that you can go in a hot tub?  (Read 60130 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: So what's the coldest outdoor temp that you can go in a hot tub?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:43 am »
Keep in mind folks that wind chill temp only affects bare skin. In-adamant objects are not effected by it. Wind can wick heat away from a hot tub but it will not make it -60 when it is -20 outside. The tub will still be sitting in -20 temps.

Think about the radiator on your vehicle. If the antifreeze is good to -30 and it's -25 outside and your traveling down the road at 70mph that would be a wind chill of fricken a lot!!!!! -71 according to NOAA but it used to be -91 You would think it would freeze solid quick. The heat generated by your motor is a factor also but you'd still think -91 would be hard to overcome.

How about if you park your truck say on a frozen lake overnight while your staying in the fish shack overnight and it's facing the wind of 30 mph and 25 below temps overnight. That means -67 wind chill and my antifreeze is only good to 30 below. It didn't freeze last night LOL. But after that last wood burnt out me and the buddies got very cold. It's always a funny game to see who gets up first to stoke the fire.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:43 am »

stevie wonder

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 01:08:23 pm »
Been in in negative numbers before,, and with all this snow this winter and nice cold temps I really want to go in.. our cover shredded in a bad storm this fall and now is waterlogged. Cant open it and ordering a new cover today sometime. Just trying to figure out where to ship it as I work on the road and my wife works in a call center. Thats the only reason we haven't replaced it sooner.. but this cold weather is the best for the tub!!

goneaway

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 05:48:55 am »
We were in ours at the weekend where it was close to freezing.
We've been suffering some strong winds for a few weeks here in the UK, so we've taken the cover down.
When we in  the tub n Friday night it started raining quite heavily, which was rather cold on the head.
Fishing Umbrella to the rescue.
I was actually quite cosy and a little romantic.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 08:45:50 am »
I'll probably go for a new record today. It was 41 when I went to bed last night, its 6 now and dropping to -5 by tonight.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Terry Action

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 09:34:13 am »
To you guys who run your tubs in -30F or so weather, are you getting massive electric bills?

brillskill

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 10:05:39 am »
its 52 degrees now...will be 8 degrees tomorrow morning...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »
To you guys who run your tubs in -30F or so weather, are you getting massive electric bills?

Obviously our electric bills go up. It becomes even more important to have a well insulated tub. 100 bucks for the month for a middle of the road tub. 50-60 for a well insulated tub. Heard stories of, not to mention any manufacturer names................... but Master Spas, Coleman/Maxx running 120-150 per month in severe cold. The size of the tub makes a huge difference. The wind, how much you use it are all factors.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »
Tman,
With my old Coleman tub, I never had bills anywhere near that.   I'm not sure who made the model I had, but it was made, I believe, in 1994.   

Mudheadsports

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »
-36 right now here.....scheduling delivery!!!!!  Think I'd skip it tonight!!!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
 As Larry the cable guy would say?   I don't care who you are, that's cold right there!!   

So much for Al Gore and his global warming theory  ;) 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »
I did go out at noon this afternoon. -1f, too windy tonight at -5. Will check tomorrow morning
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 09:30:45 pm »
-36 right now here.....scheduling delivery!!!!!  Think I'd skip it tonight!!!!

Where you at that it is that cold? I got -18 in Sturgeon Lake at 8:30. I saw -29 last night.
Retired

vangoghsear

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »
Mine is a good distance, 80 feet or so, away from my door behind a cabin in my yard.  I don't go in if it's cold and windy, but I'll venture in if it's in the 20s F if the air is still.  Getting out is no fun.

girlinhotwater

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 10:50:34 pm »
Chicago weather today-16 real feel with wind chill -45 today when I was in the spa. I needed the soak after breaking my back shoveling for hours cuz of course snow blower decided it was time to go to snow blower heaven. I wore a hat, and now wear my flip flops right into the spa when it's this cold and snow on the ground. I put them on the filter cover lid until I get out, so much easier to dash back into the house wearing them right from the spa. Honestly, it was fun, but just too cold for me. My eyebrows and eyelashes froze! Good news is, your beer stays nice and cold ;D It's my first winter with the spa so will report back later about the electric costs.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:46 am »
Tman,
With my old Coleman tub, I never had bills anywhere near that.   I'm not sure who made the model I had, but it was made, I believe, in 1994.

Has a lot to do with gallons and pump size. Big HP also means big power consumption. Keep in mind it was random poster coming here over the years and stating their bill had gone up this unbelievable amount of money. Fresh fill, initial heating cycle, heavy use, extra dryer time for towels a lot of factors contribute and unless you meter it's hard to nail down how much just the tub is. 30-40 dollar average per year is still pretty common.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42