What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: So what's the coldest outdoor temp that you can go in a hot tub?  (Read 60132 times)

Terry Action

Please, if you like extreme cold don't answer this. :) I don't like the cold, and the coldest it ever was when I went in my outdoor tub was about 35 degrees with snow flurries, and once I was in, I was fine. I've noticed the best range is about 45-50. So what's the coldest outdoor temp you guys have gone in in? Was it still cold once you went in?

Hot Tub Forum

meriflower

Re: So what's the coldest outdoor temp that you can go in a hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 06:15:41 pm »
I believe between 0-5. Once I was in just fine but sure was hard to come back out!  I'm sure it helped that we have our spa in our garage.  Probably if it was outside we may not have ventured outside when its that cold.  This winter season it has been brutally cold - Spring can't come soon enough!

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 06:40:54 pm »
....I'm sure it helped that we have our spa in our garage... 

Where do you park your cars, on your deck? :)

meriflower

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:43:55 pm »
LOL Rose!  We have a 3-car garage and have our spa in the 3rd stall.  Now if only our garage was heated!

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:59 pm »
Nothing a wood stove in the corner couldn't cure.. :)

Terry Action

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 07:55:09 pm »
I believe between 0-5. Once I was in just fine but sure was hard to come back out!  I'm sure it helped that we have our spa in our garage.  Probably if it was outside we may not have ventured outside when its that cold.  This winter season it has been brutally cold - Spring can't come soon enough!

0 degrees, ouch that's cold! We're talking Fahrenheit, right?

meriflower

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:36:25 pm »

0 degrees, ouch that's cold! We're talking Fahrenheit, right?

Yes.  At night it goes to below zero.  I'm beginning to think MN is the new arctic and January is just starting.   :'(

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:49:33 pm »
 I have been in a hot tub where it was cold enough to freeze your hair solid while in the spa.   But that was in Dutch Hbr Alaska, and it wasn't cold it, was G,dang cold!   When I was in the Navy we went to the natural hot springs in Iceland just outside of Keflavik before they were what they are now, which is a massive tourist hangout.    Now if I had thought outside of the box back then,  I wouldn't be here typing this...    :o 

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:09:41 pm »
With my old Coleman, whenever it would snow, my first chore was to shovel a path over to the hot tub. :)   I remember it being bitter cold with the snow drifting during one of the Snowmegaden storms a few years ago.   My hair froze and the wind was whipping.    I loved it.   There is just something about being out in the cold, with snow falling, in a hot tub.   

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:31:11 am »
It is a wind related question.  My coldest personally has been -4F. There was no wind and we sat in a 104 tub for 30 minutes.   The next night it was +17F with a 40mph wind, we didn't go out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bob snader

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:53:01 am »
Winnipeg (Canada) was officially colder than Mars the other day. With the windchill we got down to -52F

Obviously there is no hot tubbing (with an open lid) at that temp, but normally we will soak in the open till about 9 or 10F. After that we start having problems with ice build up on the hot tub edges which cause seal problems for the lid.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 12:12:23 pm »
The coldest for me was -9 F a couple of years ago. No wind at all. As long as there is no wind I'll go in at any temp.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:31:53 pm »
If I currently had a tub I would try and avoid it if the temp was like our current temps. It got up to -4F for a high today. News Years eve it was -32F at midnight and -18 at 8AM, weird. I like about 10-20 above at the lowest.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:37:50 pm »
We are supposed to have record cold next week, but I won't be able to set a new record as I will be coming out of surgery and not allowed in the hot tub for 4 weeks.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Terry Action

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 01:16:52 pm »
If I currently had a tub I would try and avoid it if the temp was like our current temps. It got up to -4F for a high today. News Years eve it was -32F at midnight and -18 at 8AM, weird. I like about 10-20 above at the lowest.

That's just nuts. I have lived in NYC all my life. I won't even step outside today because it's 19F and windy. The coldest I ever seen was as a kid, with a high of about 2 degrees.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 01:16:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42