What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What to do if a hot tub cover doesn't fit (but almost does)  (Read 7983 times)

Terry Action

What to do if a hot tub cover doesn't fit (but almost does)
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »
Well, I know the real answer is to get rid of it and get one that does, lol. However, I'd like to explore other options and seek advise of the handy. First, a little about my situation:

I have a round hot tub, exactly 6 feet (72 inches) in diameter. I picked up a round cover advertised as 6 feet on Craigslist for a mere $20 bucks, in perfect condition. I put it in my hatchback, drove home, and put it on the tub. It goes on, but moves about two inches when I tug back and forth on it. I haven't measured yet, but just by the tugging, it has to be about 73 inches, at the most 74.

It is heavy, so will it still insulate ok in the cold? I'm a newbie, but I will guess the answer is no. So what (if anything) can be done? My guess was perhaps a foam seal all around it to tighten it up, but would that come off? Are there places that fix this for me?

Hot Tub Forum

What to do if a hot tub cover doesn't fit (but almost does)
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »

brillskill

Terry Action

Re: What to do if a hot tub cover doesn't fit (but almost does)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »
you can try like a an airconditioner seal from homedepot for a temporary fix...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-1-1-4-in-x-42-in-Polyurethane-Air-Conditioner-Weather-Seal-with-15-in-x-24-in-Filter-FAC3/202844547

That looks like a good idea. Do you think I should put it on the outside of the tub or the inside of the cover?

brillskill

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »
id see if they sell it with adhesive,than put it on the inside glued to the cover

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:42:49 pm »
Google Sonshine Spa Covers and buy yourself a new one. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »
So the cover is larger than the hot tub? If so, leave it alone! It's fine. Doesn't make a difference if it's bigger than the hot tub.

However, being heavy, indicates it's absorbed a fair amount of moisture, and this will greatly reduce it's insulating ability.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clover

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:16:38 pm »
..... being heavy, indicates it's absorbed a fair amount of moisture, and this will greatly reduce it's insulating ability.
The people that sold you the cover needed a new cover, and finally got their new cover.  You just reduced their cost by $20.  It should be good for a short period of time, until your new cover arrives.   :)
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »
And probably saved them another $50 in dump fees. :-)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Terry Action

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 01:29:30 pm »
So the cover is larger than the hot tub? If so, leave it alone! It's fine. Doesn't make a difference if it's bigger than the hot tub.

However, being heavy, indicates it's absorbed a fair amount of moisture, and this will greatly reduce it's insulating ability.

When I said heavy, I just meant heavy enough to stay down and not blow up by wind. It is not heavy at all.

So as long as it stays on top it is fine? The sides don't have to be snug? If I push on it it'll move about and inch or so. The round cover is 73", my tub is 72".

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 01:31:28 pm »
You should be just fine.   Do you have hold down straps on the cover?  These will (hopefully) prevent the wind from pulling the top off.

Terry Action

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
You should be just fine.   Do you have hold down straps on the cover?  These will (hopefully) prevent the wind from pulling the top off.

Yes, but I have no clue what they strap to, as there is nothing on my tub.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 09:45:16 pm »
Terry,
Buy a set of these.   They are extremely easy to install.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Sure-Lock-Spa-Cover-Locks---Set-of-4-P4499C1.aspx

Terry Action

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »
Terry,
Buy a set of these.   They are extremely easy to install.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Sure-Lock-Spa-Cover-Locks---Set-of-4-P4499C1.aspx

I'll check that out. So it looks like you have to drill into the side of the tub? I'm pretty sure my sides are a hollow high impact plastic.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:12:42 pm »
Just don't drill into a pipe. :)   You could always put a small piece of wood behind the skirting material, to attach your screws to.  You will have to look it over and see what is best for your tub.    Can you pull the panels off?   I don't know the answer to that.  I've only owned tubs with wooden skirts.   I would think, if you drill holes smaller than the od of the screws, you could attach it to plastic.  Set your bit deeply into your drill chuck, so you only expose a small portion of it. It will prevent you from drilling deeper than need be.
If you have a strap on either side of the tub, even though it is secured to your plastic skirting, it should be enough to snug up your cover to the top of the tub, and prevent wind from carrying your cover away.     The "hold down" locks should have installation instructions.     

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:12:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42