What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gross - Please Help with Sanitizer  (Read 4518 times)

333president

Gross - Please Help with Sanitizer
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:39 am »
Hi Guys,
So I am a newbie. There was 6 people in my hot tub tonight. I am totally grossed out thinking about getting in my hot tub tomorrow after it was a giant bathtub for all of my neighbors, lol.

I have a Caldera Makena. I run the In Line Spa Frog, which puts in (very little) Bromine and Minerals. Then, typically after each use I throw in a large capful of Spa Essentials "Spa Shock Xtra" (which is chlorinated). After I put in a capful, this takes my sanitizer readings to above 20+ on the test strips. Please note though, that I use Bromine test strips and the shock is chlorine. Then, I'll use the spa again after the levels fall below 5 (usually 24 hours or so).

Is this a good system? Is this enough to keep things sanitized? If I get in the tub tomorrow, will this get rid of any bacteria, dead skin, etc caused by 6 bathers?

So grossed out. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:34:54 am by 333president »

Hot Tub Forum

Gross - Please Help with Sanitizer
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:39 am »

clover

Re: Gross - Please Help with Sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:08:26 am »
Well, let's just say everybody got out squeeky clean.  I hear what you did to the water, but what does it look like, sparkling clean? crystal clear?  That's what you want it to be. 

After a heavy body load, which that was, sanitizer and shock are the right things to do, the other factor is the required filter time to clean the water.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Topline Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:27:34 pm »
If this grosses you out, how do you feel about public pools! 

Tell your neighbors to shower next time before they come over.  My wife had some of her friends over a while ago, and one of them had a nice little tidbit of info for her.  She had heard that if 5 adults use a hot tub for 1 hour, that 1 teaspoon of fecal matter will be dispersed in the water.  Not fun to even think about, but it's probably the truth.  Bleach is your best friend!

Budule

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:09:06 pm »
That's probably a 400 gallon spa , water here (check local listings) is a penny a gallon.......id just dump it , unless soaking in your neighbors fecal matter doesn't bother you......

333president

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:37 pm »
OHHHH MY GOSH! You guys are not helping, lol. The problem is that they keep coming over to use it. I can't dump it every week!!

What happens to the fecal matter?!?! Does the Spa Shock Extra destroy it? What level do I have to get the chlorine up to 10? 20? Higher?! I haven't used my hot tub in 2 days and I really have no desire to (now), lol.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 01:29:28 am »
You won't die. You gave it a nice chlorine shock. Rinse the filters if you want to - I would - and enjoy your tub. Your friends will find other things to do after a month or so - do your water change then.

And enjoy your tub!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

chem geek

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:19:38 am »
Chlorine (and bromine) kill the bacteria in fecal matter VERY quickly.  There is a 99.9% reduction in bacteria in around a minute or less.  So don't worry about that.  This is why we use EPA-approved disinfectants -- to ensure fast kill times to help prevent person-to-person transmission of disease.

Chartreux

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:22:45 am »
Might be time you spoke up and told everyone it's your hot tub and that you wish to enjoy it privately, hopefully they'll get the hint. No need to be very mean, but it's your hot tub. We have fenced in back yard here. You paid a lot of money for something that you want time to enjoy and that's a reasonable excuse...Be polite but firm...Everyone should understand.

Topline Mike

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:34 pm »
There might be some eye candy involved here.. :P

333president

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »
Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate everyone's time. This made me feel a lot better!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42