What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hissing jet selector / diverter valve on new Hot Springs Sovereign II  (Read 10914 times)

russell544

When our Hot Springs Sovereign II was del. in Oct. 2013, the main jet selector / diverter valve was making an annoying hissing sound in the 3 and 9 o’clock selector positions. In the 12 and 6 o'clock position all jets run and the selector valve is quiet. In addition, the pump motor was buzzing after running 5 to 10 seconds. I immediately made an appointment for service tech, when he arrived weeks later he voiced concern about motor noise and hissing, however; after he couldn’t resolve either problem he made a telephone call and then said… he was told “the hissing sound was normal for this model” and the pump had to be replaced…another appointment pending. This purchase is a disappointment and turning into a very stressful ordeal.

QUESTION:  Is the hissing noise in fact normal?... and is there a simple fix for the buzzing motor?  If you have a new Hot Springs Sovereign II does your selector valve hiss as described?

Currently, I am told that despite the contention this hissing noise is normal, they are sending a tech to replace both the selector valve and motor.  I am alarmed that I have to empty this brand new spa and have major components replaced.  Is this a valid concern or is this appropriate action?  The question that begs to be answered is; if the hissing noise is normal then why replace it?

Any input would be appreciated 

UP-DATE:  Am I satisfied?... No!  >:( I would have posted this up-date sooner but I still have a knot in my stomach.  On Dec. 27th, the service tech arrived and replaced the motor and diverter valve.  Result, the motor is no longer buzzing however; the jet selector / diverter valve still has an annoying hissing sound.  The tech reiterated that he has been told “the hissing sound is normal for this model.”  Apparently the force of water flowing through the diverter valve is what makes this noise. 

If Hot Springs considers this hissing sound as normal, then this unusual distraction should be disclosed to potential buyers!  Of all the spas in the Hot Springs showroom (Santa Rosa, Ca.) filled with water and running, the Sovereign II was coincidently one of the few that was not.  Of those running, I don’t recall any such hissing noise.  If this unusual sound had been disclosed and we had been fully informed we would not have purchased this spa!  In my view this amounts to deception and a bait and switch. 

Our dissatisfaction is compounded by the fact we have owned two other Sovereign spas within the last 11 years, neither of them made any such noise so we had no reason to believe the new and improved current model was any different… to the contrary, we thought it would be better than ever.  Our first Sovereign was replaced after three years when the Endurol shell cracked.  The second was seven years old (and looked brand new) when it developed an internal leak and had to be replaced a year later. 

Question for experienced spa techs – About the Motor:  In an effort to reduce the hissing sound the tech replaced the 2.5 HP Watkins Wavemaster 9000 motor with a 2 HP Watkins motor, model 39577.  Since the hissing sound is still there, did they effectively downgrade the performance of our new spa by reducing the HP of the motor?  For that matter, was the overall quality of the motor downgraded too? 

We have stayed loyal to Hot Springs but this is likely a game changer if they don’t make this right.  This has not been a pleasant buying experience and again, feels like a bait and switch.  We do not want a hissing spa; we want a traditional spa that provides relaxation, not stress.  I am requesting that Hot Springs either refund this purchase or provide a spa that does not have a hissing noise when the jets are running.

I will post additional up-dates as we move forward.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:29:03 pm by russell544 »

Hot Tub Forum

Spoiledrotten

Re: Hissing jet selector / diverter valve on new Hot Springs Sovereign II
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:24:27 am »
Mine is a little loud like the sound of water rushing through a really tight spot. I only use the 3 and 9 o'clock positions rarely, so I don't let it bother me. Let us know what happens when/if they replace. I don't expect any difference, but I am curious.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:54:29 am »
Diverter valves do tend to be noisy in some positions on any brand. I also think it may be compounded by the fact that that tub is a very quiet tub. I'm surprised it has a bad motor out of the gate but it happens. Even the largest manufacturer in the world has problems.
Retired

GGRANDEE

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:22:19 am »
I am having the same issue with my 2013 Grandee delivered in September. It only happens on the left diverter valve. I am now inclined to call dealer rep. Hopefully, we can get more info here on the forum to determine if it is really a defect or is it "normal"? The right diverter valve is quiet which would lead me to believe the left one should be as well......

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:45:28 am »
You got to love it..

“the hissing sound was normal for this model”

I've found in life (and I'm not talking just hot tubs here), when a manufacturer screws up and they do it with a whole line of items, they often say it is "normal for that model".   Mind you, when you purchase that item with your hard earned money, there is seldom a mention of a particular problem before you sign on the dotted line.

I've also heard the line, "It's not covered in the warranty, because they all do that".  (That was for an automobile I once owned..)

You spent your hard earned money on your tub.  Imo, if you are unhappy with something that is obviously not normal, it should be fixed.    -Just my 2 cents worth. 

Mudheadsports

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »
Amen rosewood

meriflower

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:11:22 pm »
I've had the same experiences with both my 2006 Marquis Epic.  I have had to replace pumps and diverter valves.  When they come to replace the pump you shouldn't have to drain your tub, they'll just close off the jet valves.  There will be little water loss.  They never did completely fix the diverter noise. I was also told that it was "normal" and that the sound is from a lot water being pushed through it (diverter).  The worst offender is the diverter for the adirondack lounge.  If I don't get it exact on the number, it really hisses and it is very annoying.  I finally gave up trying to get the noise fixed and just lived with it.

Keep us posted!

Nazz26

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »
This is definitely an issue.  After filling a running my new 2013 Grandee back in October, I to did notice the tubs front devirter valve making that hissing sound. It happens when the valve is turned to its max left position.  To me it sounds like there is air in the valve. Told my dealer about the problem and they told me the tub is new so give it some time to break in and see what happens. It's now 3 months later and the hissing sound is still there.. Guess I will just deal with it being that it is such a common sound coming from many other hot spring owners valves. That said I am still very happy with the purchase of my Grandee Hot tub.

russell544

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »
"When they come to replace the pump you shouldn't have to drain your tub, they'll just close off the jet valves."

Unlike our prior spas, the new Hot Springs Sovereign does not have shut off valves which unfortunately requires that the spa be emptied ...

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 05:51:43 pm »
The Grandee looks like a very nice tub.  Enjoy!

spalifer

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:31:00 pm »
The diverter valve will make noise right at the point it closes of the water flow and also the point that it opens to water flow.  The motor should be silent unless you have a bad motor or unclean source power.

Darzmr

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 06:22:55 pm »
Must be a HS issue? My new Envoy does the same hiss - both diverters, in both the 3 and 9 positions.

JRunner01

Same here on our 1yr old Grandee.  Both Diverters hiss make noise in the 9 and 3 positions.  Left them most of the first year owning the tub in the  6 and 3 positions, so I guess we have been using the pumps at half power all this time?

Quickbeam

If you look at the last posting in this thread: http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,17805.0.html it looks like this fellows dealer found a fix for this problem. Hope this helps.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42