What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Time Spa Buyer  (Read 10266 times)

Quickbeam

First Time Spa Buyer
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:38:06 am »
Hello,

My wife and I are in the market to buy a hot tub for the first time and would appreciate any advice you might be able to provide. We will be putting the tub on a roof deck and it is engineered to hold a tub with a maximum weight of 5,000 pounds (this is the weight of the tub filled with water). The size of tub we are wanting is about 7’ x 7’. We have not wet tested any tubs yet but will most certainly do so before we buy. We have spent some time looking at Sundance and Jacuzzi and really liked the dealer. He was very low key and encouraged us to go and look at the competition before we bought. We will be wet testing the Sundance Majesta and the Jacuzzi J-345. The other brands we will be looking at are Hotspring, Marquis and possibly Caldera and Bullfrog.

Are there any particular features we should be looking at, either to be sure we get a feature or to be sure we avoid a feature? Any suggestions as to which particular models might suit us in the brands we have listed, given the size (7’ x7’) we are looking for? Any comments regarding the brands we have listed?

We have been reading the forums and the two most important things seem to be to make sure to wet test before buying, and to make sure we purchase from a reputable dealer. Are there any other suggestions you might be able to provide to help us with our search?

And just so you know our climate, we live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide.

Hot Tub Forum

First Time Spa Buyer
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:38:06 am »

Sam

Re: First Time Spa Buyer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:27:25 pm »
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.  All of the brands that you listed are excellent.  You can't go wrong with any of them.  Do your wet test and let that be your major deciding factor.  I'm partial to Bullfrog.  Their JetPak design is a game changer.  You can decide what massage you want and in which seat.  If your therapy needs change, you can change your tub to meet them.  But like I said, all of those brands are good.

Good luck!

meriflower

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »
Hi and welcome!   :)  The brands you listed are well known and reputable.  I agree to wet test as many as you can - looking at and/or dry testing just doesn't provide you how the tub will really feel to you with water and the jets going.  Wet test models with and without a lounge - some love them, others hate them and think they take up too much room, and others find that they float out of them.  Also ask the salesperson to open up the panels (if they don't already have one open already) so you can see what it looks like from the inside.

As for features, mostly it's a personal preference.  For instance, we go more for therapy and look for a different variety of jets.  We do not care about it having radios/speakers, TV, waterfalls, and the tub lighting up like a discotech. Some people love it.  Now they are making them with wifi so that you can get an app on your cell and control your spa via your cell. 

Since you will be putting it up on the roof deck, look closely at the filled weights (not dry) also see if there will be any additional charges for delivery.  We have a Marquis (no complaints) but recently traded in for a Bullfrog which I see both of those brands are on your list.  We also live in a cold climate and have had no problems keeping the spa heated.  Only time you would have to worry is if your tub heater went out or the electricity went out and you couldn't get things rectified timely.  Which means you would mostly likely be looking at draining the tub and winterizing it.

Happy spa shopping and keep us posted on what you decide on.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:49:28 pm »
I'm not the expert here but after seeing a spa pic this morning on this site of one crashed down through a deck, isn't "maximum of 5000#" cutting it pretty close? If a 7 person spa holds about 500 gals and water being around 8.40#/gal. Then you add 7 people at the average weight of 170#, then the weight of the dry spa at around 1000#. Then factor in the weight of someone pouncing down in the spa which might be who knows how much.....

Without factoring in someone bouncing around in it, you could be upwards of 6400#. Isn't that taking a chance?

"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:08:40 pm »
Yea that is cutting it close. Might have to get a smaller tub that is shallower. Make sure to see how many gallons the tub will hold. Depending on a lot of factors two 7x7 tubs can be 100 or more gallons difference in water capacity.
Retired

Quickbeam

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:15:05 pm »
Thank you for your replies. In answer to some of the responses, this process is going to take us a while, but we will keep you all updated on our progress, and will continue to ask questions as we go along. To be perfectly honest, without wet testing, our shortlist was Sundance, Jacuzzi and Hot Springs. I am just not sure about Bullfrog, but was interested when I saw that two responses were from people who owned Bullfrog. One thing I am going to be interested in is the warranty period. To me, if a manufacturer is not willing to back up their product with a good warranty, then I probably will not buy it. Do you know if Bullfrog has a warranty that is similar to Sundance / Jacuzzi and Hot Springs? To "Meriflower" can you tell me what attracted you to Bullfrog after owning a Marquis? I remember reading one post somewhere on this site that mentioned Bullfrog's jets wore out after a few years. I am assuming this is no longer an issue???

As for bells and whistles on the tub, we are not interested in things like stereo, T.V., etc. I want a tub that we can relax in and enjoy, with good jets and hydrotherapy. I don't need the "frills".

In response to "Spoiledrotten" and "Tman122", our deck has been engineered to hold a tub with a weight of 5,000 pounds. This is the weight of the tub and the water. As long as the weight of the tub plus water does not exceed 5,000 pounds we are fine. This is a new build that has been well engineered. The weight of the people and any other weight on the deck is on top of the 5,000 pounds we are allowed for the tub and water.

Thanks again for all your responses. This is a big purchase for us and we want to get it right. This is a great website and we really do appreciate all your help.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »
The HK jets, pumps and the plumbing engineering in a marquis are unmatched for hydrotherapy. Just sayin. One of my favorite brands. But there are others also.
Retired

meriflower

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 11:04:41 pm »
As for warranties, each manufacturer has their warranties on their websites, looks to me they are comparable.  For instance here is Bullfrog:

http://www.bullfrogspas.com/warranty

Hot Spring:

http://www.hotspring.com/hot-spring-story/warranty

Sundance (880 series).

http://www.sundancespas.com/Communications/SD_13_880_Domestic_Warranty_rev.pdf

Jacuzzi:

http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/warranty-options/

Marquis:

http://www.marquisspas.com/documents/current/MQWarranty.pdf

Actually when I bought my Marquis the warranty was transferable, I see that it is not anymore.

What attracted me?  It was the jetpaks.  Then we did a wet test and found that we get a wide variety of different types of jets that we don't get on our Marquis.  That is for us - there are probably people out there that feel differently - that is why it's so important to wet test.  Also with the Bullfrog don't have to mess with multiple diverters to turn on/off certain series of jets.  Not that big of a deal but it is nice not having to affect other people in the spa.

As for our history with Marquis, our 2006 Epic is our second Marquis.  Our first, 2004 Euphoria, was plagued with problems, that Marquis basically took back and offered new Epic, which is what we have now.  Haven't had too many problems with the Epic, needed to replace a pump, fix diverter valves.  No big deal, it was all covered, no questions asked so Marquis does back up their product which to me is more important.  If you decide to go with Marquis, I'm sure you will be happy.

Our second runner up to the Bullfrog was a Hot Spring Grandee - we do like moto-massage.  So we like jetpaks and moto-massage - this is where Tman jumps in and says we like gimmicks - LOL!  :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:09:42 pm by meriflower »

Water Boy

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:34:12 am »
I agree with the others that all of the brands you are looking at are good reputable brands. And I couldn't agree with you more in that buying from a good local reputable dealer, and wet test as many as you can.

With you being in Canada, have you given any thought to Arctic Spas? There should be a dealer in or near your area. They would be worth looking at as well as you would have lots of options in the 7x7 size. Arctic Spas are built in Alberta. IMO, they are right on par with the others you are looking at, and their warranty will be comparable to all of the others. Good luck in your search for the perfect spa!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 11:10:17 am »
Our second runner up to the Bullfrog was a Hot Spring Grandee - we do like moto-massage.  So we like jetpaks and moto-massage - this is where Tman jumps in and says we like gimmicks - LOL!  :)

Not at all. Lots of people like the moto massage and some people like the jet pack idea. I may think they are gimmicy but that's just me and the best part about the hot tub world is there are tons of choices. In the auto industry you have a lot less choices. One of the reasons the hot tub industry seems so secretive, there are hundreds of manufacturers and choices.

As far as jet packs my problem is when people say they are better. Then they leave off three very important letters/words IMO/In my opinion. Because lots of people have opinions with no proven factual data they/it is/are better.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:11:50 am by Tman122 »
Retired

meriflower

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 11:40:31 am »

Not at all. Lots of people like the moto massage and some people like the jet pack idea. I may think they are gimmicy but that's just me and the best part about the hot tub world is there are tons of choices. In the auto industry you have a lot less choices. One of the reasons the hot tub industry seems so secretive, there are hundreds of manufacturers and choices.

As far as jet packs my problem is when people say they are better. Then they leave off three very important letters/words IMO/In my opinion. Because lots of people have opinions with no proven factual data they/it is/are better.

That is very true!

Quickbeam - Waterboy suggested to check out Arctic, there is a dealer in Vancouver:

http://www.arcticspas.com/contact-us/dealer-locator/dealer/arctic-spas-hot-tubs-vancouver/

Mudheadsports

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:00 pm »
Let us know what you think about the ones you are testing....we are looking sting the same two jacuzzi and sundance.....we have the "test drive" next Thursday!!!!!

Quickbeam

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 09:43:09 pm »
Hi Mudheadsports,

We are not yet ready to do any wet testing. We will probably not be wet testing until mid to late January. Please do let me know your impressions though. I would be very interested to hear your opinion. Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 09:43:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42